Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HA-07WD as Secondary Controller -- how to set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HA-07WD as Secondary Controller -- how to set up?

I am struggling with setting up a Wayne Dalton HA-07WD tabletop remote as a secondary controller for homeseer.

I use the z-troller as my primary controller.

I have followed the normal replication process: press replicate send on the z-troller management screen in HSPRO, then follow the HA-07's replicate receive procedure. The remote tells me that the copy is successful, but I see no way to view a list of imported/replicated devices on the HA-07, so I have no idea how to set up scenes or events on the remote.

Am I missing something here? Did I skip a necessary step, or am I doing this completely the wrong way? This is the first time I am trying to create a secondary controller.

Any help is appreciated... thanks.

I have just recently figured this out myself. I have only done single device association to channels on the HA07. Per the instructions you can add multiple devices per channel (essentially creating a scene). Even though they reference Events in the manual, those seem to really be just a timer for the devices assigned to the channels, rather than HS events. Below are my summary instructions - hope that helps.

Regards,
    Vector

To Copy Z-Wave network from Z-Troller to HA07: p28/29
    • Press and Hold Include for 5 seconds until COPY flashes on HA07 display.
    • On HomeSeer Manage Z-Wave Controller Page, press Replicate Send to begin copying from HS to HA07
    • The Word SUCCESSFUL will flash on HA07 if Successful

To Associate a Z-wave Device to an HA07 Channel (button) p16
    • Replicate network as described above
    • Press AND Hold the Include button on the HA07
    • Release the Include button
    • SUCCESSFUL should flash for 2 seconds on the HA07

Comment

Vector,

Thanks! The part I was missing is that you have to "identify" the devices to the HA07 after you replicate the network. I assumed that once you replicated the network, the devices would appear somewhere on the remote (like the Cooper Aspire remotes), and then you could just assign them. Now that I know about the second stage 'identify' function, this should work well. If it doesn't, I will be back.

Again, thanks for the assist.

Chard

Comment

Setting up the HA07 Remote with the Z-Troller

Here is my cookbook instructions for Setting up the HA07 with the Z-Troller.
        There are three stages:

STAGE 1. Reset the remote (just in case information from another network has been left on it - even if it's brand-new)

STAGE 2. Replicate the Network (transfer the data to the HA07 that makes it a secondary remote.)

STAGE 3. Associate the devices to the HA07 channel buttons

Stage 1 - Reset the remote

1. Press and hold the INCLUDE and DELETE buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds. The display will read "RESET"

2. Press the number 1's ON and OFF buttons, simultaneously, until the display reads all clear.

STAGE 2. Replicate the Network

ON THE Z-TROLLER

1. With the Z-Troller attached to your box or computer Click SETUP, then INTERFACES, then MANAGE

2. Scroll to and click REPLICATE SEND

ON THE HA07 (which will be your SECONDARY REMOTE)

3. Press and hold INCLUDE for 5 seconds. The word "COPY" will flash . Release the INCLUDE button.

4. Pressthe number 2 ON button. "Successful" will quickly appear and disappear in tiny letters that you may not see. On the computer to which the Z-Troller is attached should be:
        Replication in progress, please wait...
        DONE - Replication Send Operation is Complete.

STAGE 3. Associate the devices to the HA07 channel buttons

• Press and hold the ON and OFF buttons of the desired channel until "LEARN" appears
        • within 10 seconds press and hold INCLUDE. "INCLUDE" will appear.
        • Continue to hold INCLUDE button as you also press and hold the PROGRAM BUTTON on the DEVICE until you reach the desired dim level. Release the button on the device and then release the INCLUDE button on the HA07
        • Repeat step 1, 2, and 3 for each device (with a separate button for each device.

Beware: the ALL ON and ALL OFF buttons turn your entire system on or off. I don't want a guest to turn off every light in the house by accident. So, I may superglue these two buttons so they cannot be pushed.
        Last edited by Rupp; January 25, 2011, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Quick questions on this subject of secondary remotes...
          Do relatively dumb secondary remotes like the HA07 have any sense of routing?
          Does it matter if you bring the Z-Troller (or other primary controller) near the remote's location of operation when doing the "Replicate Send"? I suspect/hope not, because I assume that any routing information winds up being taken care of during the Remote/Device association part.
          I just want to make sure that I'm keeping my routing on my network tidy :-)
          Thanks, -Bill

Comment

HA07 seconardy / ZSTick primary - Device tracking???

lescombs, Thanks for the setup guide.

Is HS able to track the changes to Zwave device made with a secondary controller?? The HA07 secondary is controlling the associated device, but HS is not reflecting the devices changes.
            Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lpcalcaterra View Post
              lescombs, Thanks for the setup guide.

Is HS able to track the changes to Zwave device made with a secondary controller?? The HA07 secondary is controlling the associated device, but HS is not reflecting the devices changes.
              No you have to poll the devices to get status changes.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Has anyone tried to use the HA07 setup procedure with HS 3.xx software on a Z Troller? The HA07 will include into the Z-Troller using the manage interface menu "send network info to another controller" successfully but the none of the modules on the z-Troller will associate with the buttons on the HA07. I have 25 devices on the z-Troller so I thought maybe that was the problem but the HA07 manual says it can handle 192. Any help would be appreciated before I give up. Also, does anyone have hand held secondary controllers set up and if so what brand/model?

Comment

I have never been able to get a secondary controller to work directly with HS. I am able to copy the ZWave network to the controller (as described above). I have then programmed lights on the controller using the controller's (local) instructions, and that works quite well. What does not work for me is getting the controller to directly initiate HS Events.

Comment

I would settle for what you have accomplished. Was that done with the latest HS software rev? If so, whose secondary controller did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by diamondjz View Post
                      I would settle for what you have accomplished. Was that done with the latest HS software rev? If so, whose secondary controller did you use?
                      I am using the GE Handheld remotes. I have a bunch of HA07s that are still connected to my old Vera system (Vera sends http commands to Homeseer to do things). I probably should revisit that, and see about transfering the HA07s to Homeseer as well. It is languishing though (although I still occasionally use the GE remotes), as I have implemented HS Touch on a couple of tablets, which is a far, far better solution than those old controllers.

One trick I do with the GE remotes is after copying the zwave network from HS to the remote, I then "clone" a previously set up remote over to this one. So I only have to program the buttons once (on the first handheld). You could probably do this with HA07s (and also HA07s to HA09s), setup one, then clone to the rest.

Have you tried copying the zwave network from Homeseer to your HA07, and if so, what happened?

Comment

There are only two commands in the latest software revision for copying and I am using the first which is "Send Network Information to another Controller". That appears to work in that the HA07 when placed in Copy, Receive All mode records the operation as Successful. The problem is that the HA07 will not accept any associations of the buttons to specific devices using the Learn mode. It is like none of the device information got moved to the HA07. I know the HA07 is working because I can program it independently without a problem and when it has been reset and reincluded into the Homeseer network it appears as a Sigma Generic Controller and it appears to be acting like a secondary controller because you cannot add new devices or delete old devices.

Comment

Interesting. Like I indicated, I have only did this with the GE remotes. I used the HA07s to invoke scenes (i.e. HS Events), which cannot be done directly. But by using Vera as an intermediatary, I could trigger a scene on Vera, which in turn sends a message to HS to run an event. (Did someone in the background say the word "kludgy"?). And that is why my HA07s are still on Vera.

If I recall correctly, your secondary controller does need to have a ZWave module id. So I did have to initially add the GE using the add controller function. Subsequent network updates should only require the downloading of the zwave network map. Have you tried both operations?

I do suspect that the HA07 may be just too old to be supported by HS.

Comment

I tried to include the controller into the network as you mentioned and it just duplicated itself but still nothing worked. the interesting thing is that it will not respond to a Test Connectivity command from the z-wave tab on the module page. Claims to need to be awakened before testing but there is no response even when it appears to be awake.
                            You may be right, it may just be too old. There is a 2004 copyright on the packaging and a 34Z date code on the unit. Fortunately I can use it in another location as a standalone.

Comment

Has anyone had any luck setting up an HA-07 as a secondary controller with HS4. (The ZeeTroller version if that matters)?

Comment

Working...
                              X