Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trane Thermostat Problem - Fixed!

Hi all,
    I bought the Trane thermostat from HS, got it installed, added it to my HS network via my z-troller. Added the zwave thermostat plugin,created some events for it and every thing was running great for about a month. Now when HS starts, it has trouble sending commands to the thermostat shown in the log snippet below:

6/24/2010 7:34:12 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error in GetSupportedModes: Return was null
    6/24/2010 7:34:16 PM - Web Server - Web Server authorized local login successful from: 192.168.32.105 User: mmikem
    6/24/2010 7:34:17 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error in GetSupportedModes: Return was null
    6/24/2010 7:34:22 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error in GetSupportedFanModes: Return was null
    6/24/2010 7:34:22 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Devices Updated for thermostat: Trane Thermostat
    6/24/2010 7:34:27 PM - Network - Speaker client connected from: 127.0.0.1
    6/24/2010 7:34:28 PM - Speaker - Speaker host added, Name: PCF IP address: 127.0.0.1
    6/24/2010 7:34:33 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error in GetSupportedModes: Return was null
    6/24/2010 7:34:53 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Devices Updated for thermostat: Trane Thermostat
    6/24/2010 7:35:38 PM - ZWave Thermostats - 1 Thermostats converted Successfully.
    6/24/2010 7:36:03 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Devices Updated for thermostat: Trane Thermostat
    6/24/2010 7:36:26 PM - Web Server - Web Server authorized local login successful from: 192.168.32.105 User: mmikem
    6/24/2010 7:36:34 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error sending ZWave Command, aborting: 43-2-2
    6/24/2010 7:36:46 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error sending ZWave Command, aborting: 40-2
    6/24/2010 7:36:56 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error sending ZWave Command, aborting: 42-2
    6/24/2010 7:37:06 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error sending ZWave Command, aborting: 44-2
    6/24/2010 7:37:17 PM - ZWave Thermostats - Error sending ZWave Command, aborting: 45-2

When I click on the zwave thermostat status button, I see multiple status blocks with nothing blank info shown in the attachment.

I am running HS2 v2.4.0.6. I tried upgrading to 2.4.0.11 with no change in result. Currently running 2.4.0.11 and z-seer 1.19

Not sure what the problem is or what to try next.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Attached Files

ok my inexperience at post is showing thru. Not sure where my attachment went. it attached ok but I don't see it in the mesage...

Comment

Mike,

I have a couple of these (RCS TZ43 version) and had similar problems. I don't recall exactly which version I started having problems, but I am currently on .55 and they are about 99% right. See other thermostat posts for current issues related to Z-wave thermostat page.

I will summarize what I have done to get these working. Unfortunately it is not a cookbook approach, and I don't understand why they stopped working.

Try the following (in increasing PITA order) - I will leave the upgrade decision to you.
      1. Restart HS - you probably have already tried this.
      2. Restart the Z-wave controller
      3. Rescan / Optimize / Restart HS ( I pretty much always have to restart HS - sometimes more than once - after doing anything with the thermostats)
      4. Delete both thermostat HS devices,then re-import / Optimize / Restart HS
      5. Delete both thermostat devices, delete the physical device from the controller, Then add to controller, Import / Optimize / Restart
      Rick or Rich may tell you some of what I describe is wrong or a waste - all I can tell you is what I have done in the past to get them working.

I hope that helps you get them going
      Vector

Comment

Originally posted by mmikem View Post
        ok my inexperience at post is showing thru. Not sure where my attachment went. it attached ok but I don't see it in the mesage...
        If you want to see the image via the web you need to use a jpg or gif
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

GIF or JPG...got it... Thanks!
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Vector.

I have done many thing to attempt to correct this. I always make a "ghost" image of my controlling PC before I tinker. I have gone back to this known working image many time before I try things. I was hestitant to attempt deleting the device (your steps 4 and 5) from the z-troller because of a warning post I saw from Rick I think it was. I haven't done any upgrades in firmware to my z-troller since I bought it in 2007ish. HS2 says it has firmware 1.5. Online upgrade talks about 1.15? Not sure why my firmware has a higher number than current version.

I'll try .55 upgrade first, then your steps 4 and 5....

Thanks for the help!!!
            Mike

Comment

Mike,

I (and others) have had the multiple thermostat devices showing on the Z-wave Thermostat page. I have also had the 0.0 temp. They eventually went away through some combination of the activities I listed and upgraded HS software.

I do not recall exactly when I upgraded Z-troller firmware, but I am on 1.15.

One more item. You are able to simply make a backup copy of your HS directory and revert back to that when necessary - without having to reinstall an entire computer from a backup.

Regards,
              Vector

Comment

I selected the menu option on the thermostat to remove it from a zwave network. It showed an hour glass on the screen then return to the menu, not removed. I guess I just am unsure how to remove the trane thermostat as it is different from a light switch. Do I have to hold down the Del button on the z-troller while removing the thermostat from the network?

A question for RUPP:
                If the preferred method of backing up HS is by copying the entire HS directory, are there any issues replacing the entire HS directory after and upgrade? I see that .NET assemblies (of different versions upon an upgrade) are installed in the GAC. Seems like .NET would not like the directory replacement.

Comment

Not sure why my firmware has a higher number than current version.
                  You dont... It looks weird, I know.. but the major version is 1, and the point release of your firmware is 5, the current point release is 15 - so yours is older. It would have made more sense if they'd made the original firmware 1.05 - would have made it a bit more obvious that 05 is older than 15.

G

Comment

I selected the menu option on the thermostat to remove it from a zwave network. It showed an hour glass on the screen then return to the menu, not removed. I guess I just am unsure how to remove the trane thermostat as it is different from a light switch. Do I have to hold down the Del button on the z-troller while removing the thermostat from the network?
                    Mike, deleting is same as adding, except hold Del button on Z-troller instead of Add.

Regards,
                    Vector

Comment

gmitch64:
                      Thanks for the info...did you upgrade to 1.15? Is that a straight forward process? I am at a point with the all the other issues I having where I think I will just go for it and rebuild every thing from scratch...

Vector:
                      I think there might be a hardware issue with the thermostat. I am unable to delete it from the zwave network via the thermostat menu.

Thanks All! Mike

Comment

gmitch64:
                        Thanks for the info...did you upgrade to 1.15? Is that a straight forward process? I am at a point with the all the other issues I having where I think I will just go for it and rebuild every thing from scratch...

Yes I did.... was a painless process. Make a backup of your ztroller before you do the upgrade, then restore it afterwards (is I believe the correct process). I forgot to do that, and things weren't working. So I did a backup, then an immediate restore, and everything works great now. I only have a half dozen devices on my ztroller at the moment, so it wouldn't have been the end of things to redo them.

I'm moving my system over to another PC (hopefully) in a couple of months, so I am planning a complete tear down, and rebuild on the new machine. I'm also kinda waiting for the new beta to stabilize and be released, so I'm not rushing into it.

G

Comment

Quick update:

All my thermostat problems went away when I removed the thermostat from the wall, then reinstalled it. Removing power for 5-10 seconds did the trick.

;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X