Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homeseer doesn't notice when I turn on a scene via a controller

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Homeseer doesn't notice when I turn on a scene via a controller

    One thing that has been bugging me since I started with homeseer and z-wave lighting controls is that HS doesn't seem to pick up on that fact that lights are on when I turn them on via a z-wave scene. I have a couple of Leviton four button scene controllers, when I use them to activate and deactivate scenes homeseer isn't notified. I've made sure that HS is one of the things listed in the scene but it still doesn't get it. Is there some way to get HS to pick on scene activations?

    #2
    Originally posted by Thrag View Post
    One thing that has been bugging me since I started with homeseer and z-wave lighting controls is that HS doesn't seem to pick up on that fact that lights are on when I turn them on via a z-wave scene. I have a couple of Leviton four button scene controllers, when I use them to activate and deactivate scenes homeseer isn't notified. I've made sure that HS is one of the things listed in the scene but it still doesn't get it. Is there some way to get HS to pick on scene activations?
    If you haven't already seen it, check out the Vizia scene and zone controller "How to" at this link: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=762137

    Note that the Leviton scene controller does not support the Z-Wave indicator class and that turning off a scene sends the EXACT SAME Z-Wave notification, regardless of which scene is deactivated (not very useful). Note also that the Leviton scene controllers can only activate one scene at a time.

    If you want to activate multiple scenes at once and you want notifications with each scene activation and deactivation, consider using one of the Cooper RFWC5 controllers instead.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Thrag View Post
      One thing that has been bugging me since I started with homeseer and z-wave lighting controls is that HS doesn't seem to pick up on that fact that lights are on when I turn them on via a z-wave scene. I have a couple of Leviton four button scene controllers, when I use them to activate and deactivate scenes homeseer isn't notified. I've made sure that HS is one of the things listed in the scene but it still doesn't get it. Is there some way to get HS to pick on scene activations?
      HomeSeer does track this - there is a device in HomeSeer that corresponds to the buttons on the controller, and they turn on/off with the information that it gets. When the scene is activated, the device turns on. When the scene is deactivated, there is NO scene signal sent, but HomeSeer gets the OFF signal and adjusts the HomeSeer device accordingly. Note that Leviton controllers act differently than what you would expect and we have no way of knowing which specific scene was deactivated, so all of the HS device buttons get turned off. The reason that we do not also modify the devices that are part of the scene is because A) the scene ramp rate would make this inaccurate time-wise, and B) some devices do not respond to a particular scene level as you might expect - some take a value of 100 or 255 as "Full On" yet others take it as "On to Last State", so HomeSeer could not really track it. Something for a future though is that we could have HomeSeer poll all of the devices in a scene, at the end of the ramp rate time, and that would automatically update the values in HomeSeer.
      Regards,

      Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

      Comment


        #4
        Homeseer doesn't notice when I turn on a scene (with or without a controller)

        If I run an event to trigger a z-wave scene the Homeseer status page doesn't reflect the device status until I poll the devices. It doesn't matter if I initiate the scene from the button of a scene controller or directly from the events page.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Robert Kendall View Post
          If I run an event to trigger a z-wave scene the Homeseer status page doesn't reflect the device status until I poll the devices. It doesn't matter if I initiate the scene from the button of a scene controller or directly from the events page.
          Correct. That is by design. In a future HomeSeer (perhaps HS3) we will see about polling all of the devices that are in a scene so that their status can update, but to work, it will require that HomeSeer has knowledge of the scene. Today, you can have several scenes in handheld or tabletop controllers that HomeSeer has no knowledge of.

          A Z-Wave device (across all brands) will not transmit its status when it was changed via Z-Wave command - this is to prevent Z-Wave infinite loops.
          Regards,

          Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

          Comment


            #6
            Homeseer doesn't notice when I turn on a scene.

            But my scenes were created using the Homeseer Z-Wave Scenes Management page. It seems like Homeseer should be able to update the status for these scenes when activated without polling. I understand why scenes created in a different controller or device would require polling to determine the status.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Robert Kendall View Post
              But my scenes were created using the Homeseer Z-Wave Scenes Management page. It seems like Homeseer should be able to update the status for these scenes when activated without polling. I understand why scenes created in a different controller or device would require polling to determine the status.
              You're right - we can - but we have not done it to-date. The only issue to overcome is that we need to look at the scene ramp rate and make sure we do not set the status of the devices too early or too late. The easier thing and more potentially accurate thing to do is to poll the devices though. What if after activating a scene another device controls one of the ones in the scene? It would not be too difficult to activate all of the devices in a scene, but then if HomeSeer set a device to ON because it was in the scene, but another device turned it off, then you would not like HomeSeer doing that either. If we poll, then we can get the actual level too because some devices when told to dim to 50%, dim to 47% or 53% instead.

              We will look into it for HS3 though.
              Regards,

              Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

              Comment


                #8
                It is very disappointing that it seems like this is still not fixed in HS4? Am I missing something? This was working perfectly on my Vera controller.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Any update to this? I'm running HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.16.0 with z-wave Z-Wave 3.0.10.0 and device status of devices controlled by a scene controller are not updated in HS. It would be great if HS did the polling. Otherwise I need to crate an event for every button and poll there to get the correct device status in HS, (and I have a LOT of scene controllers...)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X