HomeSeer and (Z-Wave Or X10)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer and (Z-Wave Or X10)?

I'm seriously considering purchasing HomeSeer and some X10 devices from SmartHome.com. The devices would be used to control lighting and (in time) monitor and control other things, including a thermostat. Both HomeSeer and X10 are new to me.

Googling HomeSeer brought me to this web site.

I was surprised to see references here to Z-Wave. I'm not familiar with Z-Wave, but I gather that it is an alternative to X10; is that correct? Is Z-Wave the preferred interface for use with HomeSeer?

I'm concerned that I may have communication problems with X10 and am wondering if Z-Wave would be a better solution. What do you think?

Z-Wave.

Unless your wiring is perfect (grounded, min noise, etc...) in your house - forget x10.

I've had both, x-10s would sometimes work, sometimes not - z-wave always worked so far for me.

Comment

I just installed z-wave for the first time and wow it is awsome not to have lights come on and off when I do not want them to, Get z-wave, ITS GREAT. I am now working to phase out x-10!

PS Thanks Homeseer for the lighting fast shipping

Thom

Comment

Check around before you buy at smarthome.com. You can certainly beat their prices and their services. I try to avoid them at all cost.

Zwave is the way to go.

Brian

Comment

I just dumped my X-10 and went with Z-Wave. Incredible. Works perfectly. My X-10 was unreliable - I decided to NOT try electrical gizmos to try and correct the problems. The RF technology of Z-Wave is the way to go - although somewhat expensive for now until other manufacturers get in the picture.
          Last edited by macromark; November 9, 2005, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X