Gas Fireplace Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Fireplace Control

We have two fireplaces where all the main electrical and gas valve switch is underneath the fire box, really metal enclosed and probably quite warm.

A low voltage "load" wire (?) feeds out to a wall switch box where a toggle or twist timer controls the on/off function. No hot or neutral wire goes from the fire box to the wall switch box,.

The wall and switch box has other switches in it, so there is hot and neutral available in the wall box.

Could something like: Aeon Labs Aeotec DSC26103-ZWUS Z-Wave Micro Switch (or anything else) be used in the wall boxes to open and close the traveler load wire connection going back to the fireplace? It has got to all fit in a 2-gang box with a toggle switch and the other zwave dimmer switch already in the box.

Electrician says he (or the gas company) would only install a manufacturer approved remote control receiver with handheld controller device for that make/model fireplace. Estimated parts and labor for two fireplaces $350 to $500.

We can get out of the chair or bed and walk to the switch for that.

But it would be nice to setup simple events that our phones and tablets can control for like ON for 30, 60, 90 or 120 etc. minutes then OFF.

Ideas are appreciated.

You need something with isolated contacts that separates the 120V from the very low voltage on the fireplace wiring. The Aeotec does not have that. Something like the Evolve LFM-20 should work. You should confirm local codes as well to see if it's allowed.

Cheers
    Al
    HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Will Not Fit

Thanks Al, but I tried just fitting in an LFM-20 that I previously used on a garage door controler. Didn't wire it up, but it won't all fit in the gang box.

Comment

One option would be to use an external relay with the Aeotec micro switch to get isolated contacts. It would be a tight fit as well. The other option is to put a dual-gang box in .

Cheers
        Al
        HS 3.0.0.548: 1965 Devices 1146 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 122 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Any update on this?

I have the same issue. I have a switch not hooked up to power that is controlling turning my pilot lit gas fireplace on and off. I'd like to control it with a z wave. Since no power is going to the switch (at least not typical power) I don't think it will work. Any suggestions that work would be appreciated.

Comment

I am looking for the same thing. I've only for a switch with 2 wires hooked to it. What would be optimal is a battery powered switch with a relay or something. I'm going to try to take the fireplace apart and see if I can find a 120v source that I can 'plug' into. But yeah.

Comment

Working...
            X