Fibaro RGBW Controller - Crazy idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibaro RGBW Controller - Crazy idea

I had an interesting idea. I am only using warm white LED strips, but I want to control them with HS and be able to dim etc, so I am using a Fibaro device. I have several different areas of light (Above cabinets, under cabinets and inside a glass cabinet), so here is what I was thinking.

Use 1 Fibaro controller hooked up to power supply
    Wire area 1 to the W leg of the controller
    Wire area 2 to the R leg of the controller
    Wire area 3 to the G leg of the controller

This should let me control each of the 3 different areas separately, while also keeping my wiring simpler and my cost down.

Thoughts on why this would or would not work?

That's a good idea and should work with no issues. I used to do something similar with the Chromoflex controller.

Basically each of those RGBW legs are a separate dimmer.

You just need to make sure you don't put a bigger load through the Fibaro module than the max load it can take.
    Nicolai L

Comment

I was looking at them the other day for something similar and wondered how the device is represented in HS, is it represented as four separate dimmer channels or a colour picker? If the latter then it is going to be a little more difficult to control...

Comment

You get both. See screenshot below ...
        Attached Files
        Nicolai L

Comment

Very nice thanks for the info, I can see myself having a use for one.

Comment

So what I have found in researching this before hooking it up is that you are going to have to figure out how many strips you want to control off of one of these at once so that you can calculate your amperage. You can look up what type (LED/M) of strip you have and that will tell you. I have the 120LED/M strips which will draw 4A per 5M strip. This means that with my kitchen layout using a total of 6 strips I need to use 2 of these in order to not overload it even though I keep them dimmed all the time (They are too bright for the wife when full on).

Here is my setup:

2 full strips above cabinets on one dimmer
            Almost 2 full strips below cabinets and part of another strip inside of another cabinet on another dimmer

This works out really well as it allows me to use the third dimmer I had initially bought somewhere else in the house since I have plenty of LED strips left. :-)

Comment

Questions on RGBW Control

Glad to see this thread. I want to put RGBW LED tape for Kitchen cabinets and toe-kicks and living room ceiling and want to use HS to provide timed and scene control of the LED lighting. I spent a lot of time looking at Spud's RPi solution for pixel LED strips, but decided that would be too costly for the amount of strip I will need and the pixel control effects, while really neat, is overkill for my use.

The Fibaro RGBW controller appears to fit my need. I was wondering, though, if you have any solution for local or mobile phone/tablet control of the lighting in addition to HS control? Fibaro has what looks like excellent mobile app control, but expect that requires their their Home Center (Lite?) which would be an expensive and mostly redundant add. How are you controlling the LED lighting local to the room?
              Attached Files

Comment

I use HDTouch and have three sliders, one for each color.
                Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                  You get both. See screenshot below ...
                  Hi NicolaiL,
                  Do you know how to trigger the fibaro RGBW module "Rainbow" mode?

Chin

Comment

Originally posted by cyf4746 View Post
                    Rainbow Mode is a ZWave parameter so you'd need to call a script to turn it on and off.

The setting of ZWave parameters is new functionality. See bugzilla 2425 for details:

http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2425
                    Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by cyf4746 View Post
                      Hi NicolaiL,

Chin
                      Save this as a .vb script and change the HomeID to your network ID found in the zwave plugin setup. Then set the params as follows.
                      1 is your homeseer device reference
                      2 is the zwave param you want to change
                      3 is the value you want to change it to.

In the picture I have a fibaro RGBW module with the HS reference of 58 that I am setting to Rainbow mode with the param of 72 set to 9. I call this from another event depending on when I want it.

PHP Code:
                      Sub Main

End Sub

Sub SetParam
                      (ByVal parms As String)

Dim param As String() = parms.Split(",")

Dim HomeID As String "11111111"

Dim NodeID As String param(0)

Dim FunctionID As String param(1)

Dim Value As String param(2)

Dim ConfigResult As Integer 0
                              Dim ConfigResultVal
                      (3) As String

ConfigResultVal
                      (0) = "Unknown"

ConfigResultVal(1) = "Success"

ConfigResultVal(2) = "Queued"

ConfigResultVal(3) = "Failed"

ConfigResult hs.PluginFunction("Z-Wave""""Configuration_Set", {HomeIDConvert.ToByte(NodeID), Convert.ToByte(FunctionID), Convert.ToByte(1), Convert.ToInt32(Value)})

hs.WriteLog("Param Set""Parameter Set " ConfigResultVal(ConfigResult))

End Sub 
                      Attached Files
                      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                      Scripts =
                      Various

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
                        Rainbow Mode is a ZWave parameter so you'd need to call a script to turn it on and off.

The setting of ZWave parameters is new functionality. See bugzilla 2425 for details:

http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=2425
                        Thanks a lor NicolaiL

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                          Save this as a .vb script and change the HomeID to your network ID found in the zwave plugin setup. Then set the params as follows.

In the picture I have a fibaro RGBW module with the HS reference of 58 that I am setting to Rainbow mode with the param of 72 set to 9. I call this from another event depending on when I want it.

PHP Code:
                          Sub Main

End Sub

Sub SetParam
                          (ByVal parms As String)

Dim ConfigResultVal
                          (3) As String

ConfigResultVal
                          (0) = "Unknown"

ConfigResult hs.PluginFunction("Z-Wave""""Configuration_Set", {HomeIDConvert.ToByte(NodeID), Convert.ToByte(FunctionID), Convert.ToByte(1), Convert.ToInt32(Value)})

End Sub 
                          Hi enigmatheatre,
                          Thank you so much with your detail scripts....
                          Thanks a lot....

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post

PHP Code:
                            Sub Main

End Sub

Sub SetParam
                            (ByVal parms As String)

Dim ConfigResultVal
                            (3) As String

ConfigResultVal
                            (0) = "Unknown"

End Sub 
                            Thank you so much!!! I was having a hell of a time figuring this out. For those trying this out for the first time, please note that the first parameter isn't actually the "homeseer device reference" as listed above, but instead its the z-wave Node ID.

I could only get programs 6-10 working, but maybe there's no programs in 2-5? Quick question for you guys, once the program is running, how do you stop it? Change that parameter back to a 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Dnomyar220 View Post
                              Thank you so much!!! I was having a hell of a time figuring this out. For those trying this out for the first time, please note that the first parameter isn't actually the "homeseer device reference" as listed above, but instead its the z-wave Node ID.

I could only get programs 6-10 working, but maybe there's no programs in 2-5? Quick question for you guys, once the program is running, how do you stop it? Change that parameter back to a 1?
                              No problems. To change it back just change one of the device values and the controller will default back. There is now an easy way to do this in events under the set a zwave device setting. Easy to set up and no script needed.

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                              X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                              Scripts =
                              Various

Comment

Working...
                              X