Din Rail ZWave modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Din Rail ZWave modules

Much of my lighting installation still runs on X10 using AD11 & LD11 Din rail modules. To move away from X10, I really just want to find a drop in replacement to minimize wiring changes.

I know you can get Insteon modules but I have found nothing for Z-Wave.

I see you can install Fibaro modules within empty DIN rail housings http://www.vesternet.com/knowledgebase/technical/kb-17 but before I go down this route, I would be interested how others with similar LD11/AD11 X10 installations, migrated to Z-Wave to get around this problem.
    Jon

Hi Jon,

I've not see any din rail mounted z-wave modules. You may be able to attach modules to din rail mounting brackets such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271669047035. If they are all located in one spot, I don't see much advantage to running them on z-wave. Have you considered a hard-wired approach such as relays attached to an Arduino and then use it with the Arduino or MySensors plugin?

Cheers
    Al
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Italian company Vitrum has a great range of DIN rail modules. See attached spec sheet for the DIN dimmer.

We are the UK distributor for Vitrum so I can supply these to you if this has any interest.

Feel free to PM me or contact me via our website: www.indigozest.co.uk
      Attached Files
      Nicolai L

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
        Hi Jon,

I've not see any din rail mounted z-wave modules. You may be able to attach modules to din rail mounting brackets such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271669047035. If they are all located in one spot, I don't see much advantage to running them on z-wave. Have you considered a hard-wired approach such as relays attached to an Arduino and then use it with the Arduino or MySensors plugin?

Cheers
        Al
        Thanks Al. Good idea but I still want operation (including dimming) via the normal light switch.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by NicolaiL View Post
          Italian company Vitrum has a great range of DIN rail modules. See attached spec sheet for the DIN dimmer.

We are the UK distributor for Vitrum so I can supply these to you if this has any interest.

Feel free to PM me or contact me via our website: www.indigozest.co.uk
          I should have said in my first post that I had looked at Vitrum but discounted them due to their price. I appreciate the response though.
          Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I moved from LD11s to Merten 507900 dimmers, which aren't on a DIN rail. I had a 2nd consumer unit with the LD11s in (only), and basically just took the insides of the consumer unit out and mounted the Merten units on a piece of plywood inside the casing. I've since added some Fibaro units.

It's a bit crude, but it works and it's easy to replace a dimmer if needed.

They were the only unit I could find back then that were essentially a direct replacement in terms of wiring for the LD11s. There are others available now, but I haven't personally used them (Qubino, Aeon).

Cheers,

Jon.

Comment

I'm going to follow this thread ! I am in somewhat the same situation.

Comment

In the end I went with Fibaro modules and installed them in empty DIN Rail housings.

It is an ideal solution for me as they are now a drop in replacement. Even though the dimmer modules will just fit in a single DIN housing, I added the extender to allow for any heat build up and permits the unit to be totally enclosed.

I can now migrate slowly over time.
                Attached Files
                Jon

Comment

Nicely done !
                  I might consider doing the same thing.

Where did you get them from ?

Comment

Just search Ebay/Amazon etc for:

CAMDENBOSS ENCLOSURE, DIN RAIL, EXTENDABLE

and

CAMDENBOSS ENCLOSURE, DIN RAIL, EXTENTION
                    Jon

Comment

Curious if they make anything like this for 12VDC switching. IE: DIN, Z-Wave and 12VDC switching.

The reason I ask is that I installed multiple 12VDC DIN power supplies for my zoned outdoor lighting. Right now I am switching all of them either on or off with one UPB switch. It would be nice to control the lighting zones individually via a DIN mounted Z-Wave LV switch.

I am at about 15 zones / many LED lamps (lost count).
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

We can here in Europe as the Fibaro single and dual relays have independent switched outputs, i.e. a relay contact.

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-fiba...-2-1-5-kw-1523
                        Jon

Comment

Or the Fibaro RGBW if it's 12V LEDs? http://www.fibaro.com/us/the-fibaro-...gbw-controller

Regards
                          Morten

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have created a 12VDC LED configuration these days with the DIN mounted multiple MeanWell 12VDC dual output power supplies. It is a nice and compact set up for 12VDC lighting.

I would be looking a LV (12VDC relays) Z-Wave powered.

The power source for the Z-Wave relays could be AC HV (120VAC) or even DC LV (12VDC). The relay contacts would only control the output of the MeanWell 12VDC DIN power supplies rather than the input. I am using dual output DIN 12 VDC power supplies.

This actually would entice me to use Z-Wave (+) a bit more.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just noticed that Qubino now have a DIN rail dimmer: http://qubino.com/products/din-dimmer/
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X