Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave Thermostat displays "Unknown" for Fan Mode - Solution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave Thermostat displays "Unknown" for Fan Mode - Solution!

I have 2 Trane XL624 thermostats and they are both having the same problem. The Fan mode displays "Unknown" when set to "Circulate". When I change from 'On' or 'Auto' to 'Circulate' it does briefly show the correct "Circulate" status but then after a second changes to "Unknown". As I can tell the status texts and values are setup correctly.

I have attached screen shots. Any ideas? Thanks!

Not an answer to your question but I'm thinking of getting few of these... What's the difference between on and circulate for a fan?

Sent from my iPhone
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

You can change this in one of the tabs for the device. HS3 doesn't properly do this for Trane (and Honeywell) thermostats for whatever reason (although it permits circulation as control). So, figure out what the thermostat sends as a value to HS3 when you switch to circ from on/auto for the fan (you can do this from the thermostat -- select on/auto, and then select circ: go to the device or the log, and see what value HS3 got), and add a value for Circulation.

Circulation is a cool option, and something that I require when buying a thermostat. Basically, on for the fan keeps the fan running all the time. auto means the fan runs just when heat or cool is actively running (in a forced air system).

Circulation has the fan run 30% of the time. So, if heat or cool is not running because it doesn't have to be, the thermostat will still unsure that ~20 minutes of every hour, the fan runs, for circulation.

We have two houses, and for the currently unoccupied house (which has heat set very low and cool set very high -- so they don't run often), I keep the fan at circ, just to make sure that there's some air circulation going on. It's less expensive than running the fan all the time (your typical forced air fan can take around 300-500 watts!).

Of course, you could do the same thing via events in Homeseer, but it's easier having it done at the thermostat.

I believe that Honeywell makes Trane's thermostats, which is why the option is there.

Comment

Edit: See post #8.
        Last edited by rxatwell; February 22, 2016, 12:05 AM. Reason: See below.

Comment

Good deal! In terms of using this mode even when you're home, if the temperature outside is relatively mild, such that heat or cool is being called often, and if you have hot/cold spots in your house, using the circ option can help balance out the temperatures in those rooms (we actually run the fan on "on" all the time for this reason, tho).

Comment

Glad to run across this thread. Thanks guys!

I'm waiting on whether a supplier can get me one of these.

Rob
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Mike, great explanation! Rxatwell thanks for posting the solution.
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Well, it appears that was not the solution. It has reverted to the same problem after some time. I have found from polling the device from the home page that the thermostat is sending out 6 for the value. This makes no sense that the log shows "Device: Downstairs Thermostats Fan Mode Set to INVALID VALUE" when set to 6.

Mike, did you have this same issue with your stat?

Comment

Funny you should mention that. After posting about this, I played around with our thermostats. Any time I manually change over to recirc on the thermostat proper, HS reports it as "INVALID VALUE." Even if I give it a huge range to report valid values.

Sadly, I think it's a bug in HS3. You can select recirc from within HS3 and it's set OK. But if it's set at the thermostat itself, it reports an invalid value to HS3.

I'm uncertain whether I'll do a bugzilla. I have four or five pending up to six months ago, and have yet to receive any acknowledgment regarding any. So it goes with HomeSeer . . . if they're interested in your bug, they'll work on it; if not, well, there you go.

Comment

Thank you, Mike. I am glad that you can confirm this issue so I can rule out my hardware/config. I appreciate your help.

Comment

I'm seeing this as well... though it's when I put in on recirculation on the web interface. I see a 6 sent out, then get the invalid number.

I'm also seeing this with the operating mode. I get an unknown number.
                      Just put in my new stat running firmware version 2.5 and .66 of the z-wave plugin. For you folks that have this working, what firmware is your stat at?

Not sure what to do???
                      Last edited by langenet; March 25, 2016, 03:25 PM.
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Circulate of Fan with Trane

Try putting the number 2 this works for mine.
                        6 is the number on the state of the fan for circ

Comment

Working...
                        X