USB Ethernet Extender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Ethernet Extender?

Well, in light of the fact that there is some HS3 bug that caused my Settings.ini to get reset, I now have to rescan my secure Zwave devices as I've lost communication to them. That said, has anyone tried to use a USB Ethernet Extender like the one below to extend their USB Zwave controller to say 50 feet? It needs to be close to my lock & garage door opener (GD00Z-1) to scan properly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Extensio...4AAOSwu-BWPHW1

Which Z-Wave controller are you using?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The device on Ebay is a USB extender that uses ethernet / catXX wires with RJ-45 ends.

It is not a network USB extender.

As Rupp mentions what Z-Wave controller are you extending?

Is it a USB Z-Wave stick?

Here is a reasonably priced active USB extender from MonoPrice for $17.11 USD.

I use these today to extend my Digi USB / Digi Edgeport connections.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        The device on Ebay is a USB extender that uses ethernet / catXX wires with RJ-45 ends.

It is not a network USB extender.

As Rupp mentions what Z-Wave controller are you extending?

Is it a USB Z-Wave stick?

Here is a reasonably priced active USB extender from MonoPrice for $17.11 USD.

I use these today to extend my Digi USB / Digi Edgeport connections.
        I'm using a Zwave.ME UZB1. This is exactly what I need to do, EXTEND the USB port of by PC temporarily. I don't want to remove my door lock or unbolt the GD00Z-1 from the ceiling of my garage just to rescan it. So I just need to get the UZB1 close enough (~ 2 feet) to the devices so I run the rescan. I'm assuming this because of the 'security protocol' mentioned in Rich's post here. This is not a permanent relocation of my controller.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=888700

Comment

I am not familiar with the ZWave.me UZB1.

I would recommend an active USB extender to do this.

I use the ZWave.me GPIO card in my Zee-2 today.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            I am not familiar with the ZWave.me UZB1.

I would recommend an active USB extender to do this.

I use the ZWave.me GPIO card in my Zee-2 today.
            Trust me Pete, Originally my first thought was to use my spare RPi and add the GPIO card to essentially create a DIY Z-Net. But it seems that HST would not sell you the software alone? I ended up spending $35 for my Zwave Plus UZB1 instead of $150 for a Z-Net (not worth the price).

I'll try to search for an active USB extender or give the one you recommend a shot. Was just wondering if the Ethernet USB Extender would be just as good as an active USB extender, giving me the flexibility of distance (in case I want add another lock further in the house).

Comment

You could give it a try and see what happens.

Here started with the purchase of the original Zee which came with an Aeon ZWave stick.

I updated the Zee to a Zee-2 and DIY built RPi2 as I installed the ZWave Me GPIO card and the PiFace RTC shim in it.

I have extended RS-232 wires here for many years using cat5e and not ever had a problem. Trying to do this with USB baluns many years ago didn't really work for me. That said give it a try anyways. The little USB baluns are inexpensive.

Recently here used my Leviton Z-Wave RF remote device to make the Leviton Z-Wave PIM a secondary controller to the Zee-2 and it worked for me.

You can just install the ZWave me software image on the spare RPi and a wireless stick and pair up the stick to your stuff and then add your locks to the ZWave Me stick using the ZWave me software.

The new zwave devices will be on the stick such that you can just read it with Homeseer.

Even an easier way would be to install or use Linux on a laptop and remote the Z-Wave connection to your mothership Homeseer box. Linux to Linux this works for me too.

You do not need Homeseer installed on your laptop to do this. All you have to do is run mono hspi_zwave.exe server=IPOFHOMESEER to remote connect.

Your homeseer box will see the network connected Zwave device running just fine.
              Last edited by Pete; April 9, 2016, 01:48 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X