Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW056 Z-Wave Gen5 Doorbell - Chimes Randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW056 Z-Wave Gen5 Doorbell - Chimes Randomly

I have an Aeon Labs Aeotec ZW056 Z-Wave Gen5 Doorbell. It connected to HS3 just fine.

I'm running firmware 1.12 and find no updates or this item.

At random times in the day or night, usually once or twice a day, my doorbell chimes for no apparent reason.

I am not using this device in any event. I'm a bit puzzled as to why it chimes randomly at times. Is anyone else having this issue?

I mentioned it to HS and they've had no reports like this. I have not contacted Aeon Labs yet.

Did you ever figure out an answer to this? Mine has been working fine for about 6 months and just started randomly chiming.

Comment

The other day, it chimed seemingly randomly but... We took a power cycle at the same time. So this time, it was caused by cycling the AC power to the chime.

I suppose it's possible the other random chimes we also caused by a power cycling of the unit.

Comment

I read on one of the product reviews that they solved this by adding a blank audio file as file 1. Every time the unit power cycled it would play the blank file.

Comment

Originally posted by sforeman00 View Post
          I read on one of the product reviews that they solved this by adding a blank audio file as file 1. Every time the unit power cycled it would play the blank file.
          Good to know. For now, I am abandoning this product and installing a standard door bell.

If anyone is interested in ZW056 Z-Wave Gen5 Doorbell I have, PM me.

Comment

Same problem with the Aeotec Sirens. I had one decide to arbitrarily start wailing one day when I was at work and had a neighbor call me thinking it was a fire alarm. I didn't even have any events set up for the siren - was using it strictly as a repeater for my secure door locks.

Comment

(chuckle) At least you are getting sound out of your doorbell. The only time mine works is on a power bump. The chime is plugged in less than 8 feet from the front door. The switch, obviously, is outside beside the door. The chime rarely works. Homeseer sees it. I can make it play with an event. When it does work, I can trigger events. But, it's not a reliable doorbell for sure.

Perusing forums elsewhere shows much the same issues and problems. It seems that unless there is nothing between the switch and the chime, the doorbell doesn't work for anyone. So, over a C-note wasted.

Has anyone been able to get this unit to (reliably) work?

Cheers!

Chris

Comment

I've got this working at my house. About 9 feet between doorbell button and speaker. The only thing between them is the outside wall (stucco, standard 2x4 framing, drywall) that the button is mounted on. The battery that came with it only lasted about 6 months, but we've got a lot of kids ringing the doorbell. We've had the occasional random chime. My guess is something else nearby on the 433.92 MHz frequency.

-Chris

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cjohlandt View Post
                  I've got this working at my house. About 9 feet between doorbell button and speaker. The only thing between them is the outside wall (stucco, standard 2x4 framing, drywall) that the button is mounted on. The battery that came with it only lasted about 6 months, but we've got a lot of kids ringing the doorbell. We've had the occasional random chime. My guess is something else nearby on the 433.92 MHz frequency.
                  Hi Chris

Your description of location is fairly similar to mine. Button is mounted on the door frame (now this is aluminum clad.... make a difference I wonder?).

I guess the biggest culprit is gonna be the wireless security system in the house.... lots of wireless sensors and contacts, all running at ... 433.92MhZ. The main wireless receiver for the system is the keypad just inside the front door. Wireless door contact on the front door. Schlage Z-Wave lock on the front door. Hmmmm, guess I'm euchred for a wireless doorbell running on that frequency.

Any other suggestions to try before I put the thing up for sale on Kijiji?

Cheers!

Chris

Comment

OK, seems like a really old post, but I have been having this problem as well. Removed it and re-added. Saw a popup on my phone from Alexa - it's also being looked at by Alexa. Went on the Alexa app and disabled it for Alexa, and no more random ringing (about 24 hours and 15 minutes apart)

Guessing it was some heartbeat check, but all better now. Hope this helps anyone who stumbles across this post in the future

Comment

Working...
                    X