How to: Cooper RF9500 accessory switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Cooper RF9500 accessory switch

When I was starting out with HomeSeer a couple of years ago, I could never get this to work. At our new house, I wanted a battery powered light switch, and decided to give this a go again. Got it to work! Here are some tips.

After you include it with your system, it'll automatically be associated with HomeSeer. However, if you add events to trigger off the switch, you'll notice that they won't work. Specifically, the "off" will work, but the "on" will not work. I suspect that this is because the HomeSeer association isn't a load that can be turned on and off.

Therefore, next, associate it with the load you want to turn on and off. This worked very easily -- surprisingly easily for a battery powered device. What I did when adding the association was to click the switch prior to selecting "add" on the association screen.

Once you have added a load that can be turned on and off, you can then trigger off both on and off, since there is now a load that can be in either state.

Another tip. Many devices do not report their status. To make sure that they're properly reflected in HomeSeer, I did the following. I have two plug-in adapters that are associated with this switch. So clicking the RF9500 switch on/off properly turns them on/off. But HomeSeer doesn't learn this until it polls the devices. Therefore, *also* add an event that's trigger off the RF9500 switch. So when you click the RF9500 on, it turns on the adapters. This way, HomeSeer also knows that they've been turned on/off.

I ended up with two of these on an impulse buy. I was able to trigger events for on and off (basically it acts like a toggle switch) pretty easily--I have it controlling a group of Hue lights. I just wish I could get the dimmer buttons to work...

Comment

Working...
    X