This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSZigbee Now In Beta

Later today, HSZigbee will be added to the beta section of the HS3 updater. This new plug-in will initially provide on-off-dim support for Zigbee LightLink bulbs using the Osram Lightify gateway. A brief explanation of the integration is available on our main site at this page: http://homeseer.com/zigbee.html

Please post questions, comments and suggestions to this forum.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

:-)

Comment

[...] through the use of the Osram/Sylvania Lightify Gateway and cloud service
      Well, it's one step closer.
      But I'm hoping for a more direct approach later, after all, this is HomeSeer.

Now I'm busy, shopping for a Lightify Gateway.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        Well, it's one step closer.
        But I'm hoping for a more direct approach later, after all, this is HomeSeer.

Now I'm busy, shopping for a Lightify Gateway.
        We spent months on a more direct approach using a "rapid development" package from one of the USB stick manufacturers but couldn't get decent developer support... I mean it was abysmal support. We were just about to give up on it entirely when this new option appeared. It's not ideal, but it works.

Comment

Yes. . .too bad it is cloud dependant. . .seems like this could lend itself to some of the same lag issues discovered when trying to tie together with Wink hub via IFTTT.

Let us know what you find best for the gateway.

Comment

I was really hoping you guys could have found a controller to run on the Z-Net for ZigBee support. That would have been awesome...
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              I was really hoping you guys could have found a controller to run on the Z-Net for ZigBee support. That would have been awesome...
              We did; See my post above. Unfortunately, the company we were working with could not provide a .dll or sample .NET code to use with this project. Many many engineering hours went into this with unreliable results.

Comment

So, does using the Lightify gateway/cloud limit Zigbee support to only lighting devices then?

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                  So, does using the Lightify gateway/cloud limit Zigbee support to only lighting devices then?
                  We have more products to test. Once that's done, we'll put up a list.

Comment

Ordering a gateway. . .will look forward to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                      Yes. . .too bad it is cloud dependant. . .seems like this could lend itself to some of the same lag issues discovered when trying to tie together with Wink hub via IFTTT.

Let us know what you find best for the gateway.
                      If this is cloud dependent, it's a non starter for me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wrong name?

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                        We did; See my post above. Unfortunately, the company we were working with could not provide a .dll or sample .NET code to use with this project. Many many engineering hours went into this with unreliable results.
                        I sorta like that you guys made this plugin. Initially I was disappointed you spent valuable time and resources replicating something that is already done. Then I thought more about what you did.

I am not sure you are aware that the Hue bridge works with the bulbs you list, and so does the Jowihue plugin? They do. So its been possible to do anything you mention here, and a lot more, using Zigbee, for a long time. I, and others, have mentioned this a few times in these Zigbee threads.

So why then, as a Hue/JowiHue user do I like that homeseer made this Zigbee plugin?

Because you added support for another companies' hub to Homeseer. In an HST plugin.

I do think plugin is not named correctly though. This plugin should be called the Osram Lightify plugin. I think it is a little confusing to call it a Zigbee plugin, unless you plan on supporting other hubs/dongles that use Zigbee with this plugin. Really this would be confusing for end users that don't even realize when Zigbee is actually being used--Hue for example. It makes sense for Z-wave since people set out to buy Zwave stuff since it mostly all works together. And z-wave stuff is not only labeled on the box as such, it is marked as such. That same scenario will definitely not be the case with this plugin and Zigbee. Whereas calling it the Osram Lightify plugin makes perfect sense. You have the Osram app, it tells you what works and doesn't. At no point is Zigbee mentioned, on the box, in the app, or in the marketing material.

Homeseer actually already works with a lot of cloud hardware. Here are some hub like things I can think of and their current HS interface status:
                        • Wink--Only via IFTTT
                        • Smartthings--Only via IFTTT
                        • Hue--JowiHue--Excellent support
                        • Harmony Hub--Rien Plugin--Recent access to official API
                        • Alexa--Excellent HST integration
                        • Nest--Spud plugin
                        • Google Home--Only via IFTTT
                        • MS surface Home--None
                        • HomeKit--Recently pulled
                        • Sonos--Not cloud, but interfaces to cloud music--well supported by Sonos plugin
                        • Neatatmo--Supported by two (Ultra) plugins, one for weather, the other for Camera/presence
                        • Chaimberlain Garage Door gateway--Supported by King Fetty Plugin

Notice that the plugins are named after the HW device they support, not the transport technology.

It would be nice if Homeseer worked directly with all of these hubs, or next best thing, directly with the corresponding cloud API, rather than through IFTTT.

Please consider changing the name of this plugin to Osram Lightify. In this one case it might be good you had your head in the clouds.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                          This plugin should be called the Osram Lightify plugin.
                          That makes a lot of sense to me. (Good post, just wanted to quote the relevant part).

== John ==

Comment

I haven't seen the list of supported devices yet, but it seems a more specific name would be more accurate.

Comment

I agree about the name as well. I use several zigbee devices with HS but no Lightify hardware. Got all excited about the plugin until I realized this.

Comment

Working...
                              X