X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jlrichar
    replied
    Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=27775039302

It can be associated directly with HomeSeer or with other Z-Wave devices.

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!

Doesn't the jowihue plugin work with hue remotes? That doesn't rely on the cloud and those are pretty nice looking remotes.

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
    Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.
    Nice. I'll have to check to see if the ones I just received last week have the latest. Then I'll have to figure out how to use this feature.

Does this functionality exist on the switch models as well? It would be great to be able to associate these directly with some of the Aoetec micro switches I have up above some switchless ceiling lights.

I also expect to install the GE ZWave Fan control up in the canopy in a couple rooms in the next few weeks. It was the only solution I could find for ZWave control of a fan with only a one-gang switch box. Switch will be WD100+ with double tab connected to fan speed. . .lol. Hopefully it all works. . .otherwise, Hunter's BT Simpleconnect might get installed.

Leave a comment:

• cheeryfool
    replied
    We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!
    Thank you for posting! I definitely appreciate your advice and insights. I apologize if my comments seem disrespectful or minimize your suggestions. Obviously, I know you have over a decade more experience with these products and this industry.

If I had found a ZWave product that could be mounted anywhere and integrate well into HS, I wouldn't still be searching. I agree that using a cloud service like Wink to tie in these remotes is way more complicated than a solution should be and I have always been trying to keep my HA system completely out of the cloud (but even the HS Zigbee plugin is now using a cloud service). Unfortunately, it appears that ZWave still needs more solutions for this use case (and I hope HS can put some pressure on GE to actually produce their smart remotes - order some if possible).

I have seen this latest product you have suggested and intended to try it, but still haven't. It appears it would be a good solution if I was trying to mount a switch at a location that would replace a wired switch (with a neutral wire). I have been hoping to mount a switch without needing new electrical wires run.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give advice!

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
    I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.

Leave a comment:

• cheeryfool
    replied

I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...54202118<br />

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
    Ok. I hadn't actually purchased one of these Lightify ones, so I haven't seen it. I did pick up the Lutron (Zigbee) connected light remote (only $22). . .which looks great, but it says it only works with Wink, and I couldn't get anything to recognize it with the Lightify app, so I returned it. I actually saw the Wink hub at HD for $39, so maybe I just need one of those and connect it with HS over IFTTT. Then I can get Zigbee connectivity to non-lightbulb devices.

As far as the cooper device. It actually does not fill the same niche. I and many others are looking for a switch that can be mounted anywhere and doesn't need to be hardwired into electricity. The new GE smart remotes (which seem to be actual vaporware) would fill this niche.
    Last edited by rjh; January 25, 2017, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    The best solution is a Cooper scene controller, looks nice and has a lot of functionality. Just costs a bit more. The Zigbee one works the same as the one I posted, it mounts over an existing toggle switch. Will not mount over a Decora switch.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=30234869964
    Ok. I hadn't actually purchased one of these Lightify ones, so I haven't seen it. I did pick up the Lutron (Zigbee) connected light remote (only $22). . .which looks great, but it says it only works with Wink, and I couldn't get anything to recognize it with the Lightify app, so I returned it. I actually saw the Wink hub at HD for $39, so maybe I just need one of those and connect it with HS over IFTTT. Then I can get Zigbee connectivity to non-lightbulb devices.

As far as the cooper device. It actually does not fill the same niche. I and many others are looking for a switch that can be mounted anywhere and doesn't need to be hardwired into electricity. The new GE smart remotes (which seem to be actual vaporware) would fill this niche.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    The best solution is a Cooper scene controller, looks nice and has a lot of functionality. Just costs a bit more. The Zigbee one works the same as the one I posted, it mounts over an existing toggle switch. Will not mount over a Decora switch.

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=30234869964

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
    That is unfortunate news. . .

I bought one of those ZWaves, but I have never installed it because its appearance is so different than a normal wall switch and it seems cheap. . .it looks like a bandaid to a problem, instead of something that integrates into your home. This Zigbee one looked like it would fit right into a wall normal wall plate. Maybe someone needs to rig a special wall plate that mounts a Minimote behind it (with buttons that pass through). . .hm. . .maybe I need a 3D printer now. . .lol.

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    In regards to the switch, it can only be used to control devices locally. Unfortunately it does not send any information to its online database so we cannot tell if the switch is on or off, or if it is ever pressed.

So we cannot support the switch.

What you can do is monitor the device that the switch is controlling and if it changes state, you know the switch was pressed.

I would just use Z-Wave, you can use this, which does the same thing and is wall mountable:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20303474822
    That is unfortunate news. . .

I bought one of those ZWaves, but I have never installed it because its appearance is so different than a normal wall switch and it seems cheap. . .it looks like a bandaid to a problem, instead of something that integrates into your home. This Zigbee one looked like it would fit right into a wall normal wall plate. Maybe someone needs to rig a special wall plate that mounts a Minimote behind it (with buttons that pass through). . .hm. . .maybe I need a 3D printer now. . .lol.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    In regards to the switch, it can only be used to control devices locally. Unfortunately it does not send any information to its online database so we cannot tell if the switch is on or off, or if it is ever pressed.

So we cannot support the switch.

What you can do is monitor the device that the switch is controlling and if it changes state, you know the switch was pressed.

I would just use Z-Wave, you can use this, which does the same thing and is wall mountable:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=20303474822

Originally posted by mbg0333 View Post
    Let me know if there is something I can do to help test.

I currently have two of these.

I am hoping to use these just as a button to launch another HS device or event since this device can be inwall mounted or over and existing paddle or toggle switch. This alone would mage the zigbee plugin awesome.

The app allows you to choose what device it controls but appears to also allow you to add it without pairing to another device. Which is how I envision using it.

I am going to add some garden spot lights hopefully tonight and see what kind of results I get.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    As a test can you disable the events in HomeSeer and then use the Lightify App to set your schedule. See if that works ok. If not, then we know its a communication issue with the hub to the bulb. If its ok, then it must be something with how the plugin is commanding the bulb. I don't know if the schedule is set in the hub or if its controlled by the cloud service.

Originally posted by Jobee View Post
    Having a weird time with the zigbee I don't have with Z-Wave.

I have 1 hub and now 6 bulbs. I have events that turn the lights on and off. Anywhere there is an event with multiple lights to control, I have a lingering bulb issue.

Example is living room. I have 2 lamps with Cree connected bulbs. I have an event that turns them on in the morning and off just after sunrise. Each day this week they both turn on but when the off event runs, one or the other does not go out. Exact same thing happens with 2 lamps in the family room. I know it is not a distance issue because the living room lamps are 6 and 8 feet from the hub.

Because the zigbee is using the cloud to get to the hub and back instead of using the hub directly, does it need to slow down the commands it sends?

I see other posts where lights are left on so I know I'm not the only one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Leave a comment:

• Jobee
    replied
    Having a weird time with the zigbee I don't have with Z-Wave.

I have 1 hub and now 6 bulbs. I have events that turn the lights on and off. Anywhere there is an event with multiple lights to control, I have a lingering bulb issue.

Example is living room. I have 2 lamps with Cree connected bulbs. I have an event that turns them on in the morning and off just after sunrise. Each day this week they both turn on but when the off event runs, one or the other does not go out. Exact same thing happens with 2 lamps in the family room. I know it is not a distance issue because the living room lamps are 6 and 8 feet from the hub.

Because the zigbee is using the cloud to get to the hub and back instead of using the hub directly, does it need to slow down the commands it sends?

I see other posts where lights are left on so I know I'm not the only one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    Looks like disabling before deleting was the key! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    K. Will try. Deleted the devices without plugin disable 3+ time already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X