Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...54202118<br />

It can be associated directly with HomeSeer or with other Z-Wave devices.

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
    Ok. I hadn't actually purchased one of these Lightify ones, so I haven't seen it. I did pick up the Lutron (Zigbee) connected light remote (only $22). . .which looks great, but it says it only works with Wink, and I couldn't get anything to recognize it with the Lightify app, so I returned it. I actually saw the Wink hub at HD for $39, so maybe I just need one of those and connect it with HS over IFTTT. Then I can get Zigbee connectivity to non-lightbulb devices.

As far as the cooper device. It actually does not fill the same niche. I and many others are looking for a switch that can be mounted anywhere and doesn't need to be hardwired into electricity. The new GE smart remotes (which seem to be actual vaporware) would fill this niche.
    Last edited by rjh; January 25, 2017, 10:13 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
      Ok, just posting what I know works just in case others are interested in the solutions. There is a battery operated Z-Wave switch that looks just like a wall switch and can be mounted anywhere. It is expensive but does what you want, comes in different colors also:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=27775039302

Remember that Wink is cloud based so using it with IFTTT to control Zigbee devices is a pretty complicated solution!

I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.
      cheeryfool

Comment

We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
        I have a couple of these and they are pretty good, but you need to setup polling to keep them in sync when using them with a master dimmer - even the HS WD100+ instant status dimmer.

Comment

Thank you for posting! I definitely appreciate your advice and insights. I apologize if my comments seem disrespectful or minimize your suggestions. Obviously, I know you have over a decade more experience with these products and this industry.

If I had found a ZWave product that could be mounted anywhere and integrate well into HS, I wouldn't still be searching. I agree that using a cloud service like Wink to tie in these remotes is way more complicated than a solution should be and I have always been trying to keep my HA system completely out of the cloud (but even the HS Zigbee plugin is now using a cloud service). Unfortunately, it appears that ZWave still needs more solutions for this use case (and I hope HS can put some pressure on GE to actually produce their smart remotes - order some if possible).

I have seen this latest product you have suggested and intended to try it, but still haven't. It appears it would be a good solution if I was trying to mount a switch at a location that would replace a wired switch (with a neutral wire). I have been hoping to mount a switch without needing new electrical wires run.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give advice!

Comment

We have an update soon for the HS-WD100+ that supports associations directly, so that should solver that issue! The currently shipping units already have it.

Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.
            cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
              Great news Rich. I guess those 2 switches will be my first firmware updates on the WD100+ when you release this.
              Nice. I'll have to check to see if the ones I just received last week have the latest. Then I'll have to figure out how to use this feature.

Does this functionality exist on the switch models as well? It would be great to be able to associate these directly with some of the Aoetec micro switches I have up above some switchless ceiling lights.

I also expect to install the GE ZWave Fan control up in the canopy in a couple rooms in the next few weeks. It was the only solution I could find for ZWave control of a fan with only a one-gang switch box. Switch will be WD100+ with double tab connected to fan speed. . .lol. Hopefully it all works. . .otherwise, Hunter's BT Simpleconnect might get installed.

Comment

Doesn't the jowihue plugin work with hue remotes? That doesn't rely on the cloud and those are pretty nice looking remotes.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Sorry, I linked the wrong switch. The one I was referring to is battery powered and includes double sided tape so you can stick anywhere. Here is the correct link:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=22854202118

Thank you for posting! I definitely appreciate your advice and insights. I apologize if my comments seem disrespectful or minimize your suggestions. Obviously, I know you have over a decade more experience with these products and this industry.

If I had found a ZWave product that could be mounted anywhere and integrate well into HS, I wouldn't still be searching. I agree that using a cloud service like Wink to tie in these remotes is way more complicated than a solution should be and I have always been trying to keep my HA system completely out of the cloud (but even the HS Zigbee plugin is now using a cloud service). Unfortunately, it appears that ZWave still needs more solutions for this use case (and I hope HS can put some pressure on GE to actually produce their smart remotes - order some if possible).

I have seen this latest product you have suggested and intended to try it, but still haven't. It appears it would be a good solution if I was trying to mount a switch at a location that would replace a wired switch (with a neutral wire). I have been hoping to mount a switch without needing new electrical wires run.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and give advice!

Comment

Yes, both the dimmer and switch support associations with the latest shipping units. (anything shipped in Jan)

Nice. I'll have to check to see if the ones I just received last week have the latest. Then I'll have to figure out how to use this feature.

Does this functionality exist on the switch models as well? It would be great to be able to associate these directly with some of the Aoetec micro switches I have up above some switchless ceiling lights.

I also expect to install the GE ZWave Fan control up in the canopy in a couple rooms in the next few weeks. It was the only solution I could find for ZWave control of a fan with only a one-gang switch box. Switch will be WD100+ with double tab connected to fan speed. . .lol. Hopefully it all works. . .otherwise, Hunter's BT Simpleconnect might get installed.

Comment

While on the topic of z-wave switches, any idea when the GE z-wave battery powered switches shown at CES will be available?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                      Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                      Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                        Doesn't the jowihue plugin work with hue remotes? That doesn't rely on the cloud and those are pretty nice looking remotes.
                        Yes but the bridge needs polling. Hence there can be up to 2 seconds delay in my setup.

Regards
                        Morten

Comment

Sorry, I linked the wrong switch. The one I was referring to is battery powered and includes double sided tape so you can stick anywhere. Here is the correct link:

https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...nt=22854202118
                          Thanks! That one could fit the need. I'll have to try one at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                            While on the topic of z-wave switches, any idea when the GE z-wave battery powered switches shown at CES will be available?
                            Lol. . .yes, I wish we knew too.

Comment

Thanks! That one could fit the need. I'll have to try one at some point.

And this is the one I knew Rich was talking about before and therefore I was responding about . I didn't check the link either.
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Hi Rich,

I did as instructed and setup my schedules in the app as well as a couple extra schedules in the app. For each one (on/off & on/dim/off) the lights came on correctly and went off correctly. I next day, I then deleted them in the app and turned back on one of them in HS and created one new one in HS (just in case mine was bad). In both cases, if I put both bulbs in the same event (if time = X; turn on Y and turn on Z) the lights come on correctly, but if I put both bulbs in the same event to turn them off, then every time, only 1 goes off (even though the log shows both going off).

Michael

BTW - I still have the issue is you add a new bulb the only way to have it created is by going in to the config and hitting the Create New Devices button, but this then creates devices for ALL items and then I have doubles of what I already had.

As a test can you disable the events in HomeSeer and then use the Lightify App to set your schedule. See if that works ok. If not, then we know its a communication issue with the hub to the bulb. If its ok, then it must be something with how the plugin is commanding the bulb. I don't know if the schedule is set in the hub or if its controlled by the cloud service.
                                HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
                                Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
                                BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                                X