This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
    Can I be nitpicky again and ask when you're renaming the Plugin to HSLightify or HSOsram? The naming it Zigbee is misleading and not genuine as it doesn't work with anything other than the Osram/Sylvania lights.
    Oh, I support this so very much!
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

"Can I be nitpicky again and ask when you're renaming the Plugin to HSLightify or HSOsram? The naming it Zigbee is misleading and not genuine as it doesn't work with anything other than the Osram/Sylvania lights."

I agree !!!!!

"... exactly. Needs to have full event functionality. Without color / temp control the plugin has little, if any, value. "

I agree !!!

What's the story with the Lightify Color / Tunable White bulb. It comes on randomly when the HS3 plugin is active and there appears to be no way to adjust the tunable whites !!

Looks to me like Osram is going the wifi way,, I'm I wrong ,, seeing more and more wifi products from Osram..

Seems to me that anybody looking to add a plugin for Zigbee would get in bed with Samsung ,, not only does there hub do Zigbee it also does Z-wave and maybe someday they with turn on the Bluetooth that there hub has.. It' a bummer that Smartthings doesn't appear to have a good UI.. It seems to me if somebody (Like Homeseer.) could me a plugin for the Smartthings hub to work with Homeseer it could put HS3 back on the best 10 HA lists....

I ask why a Osram Lightify Zigbee hub ,, why not one of the many fine Zigbee usb sticks , like Z-wave ?? Hubs are quickly going bye bye ,, WIFI seems to be gaining ground quickly ,, nobody wants to be tried to one companies products ,,, That's why most of us purchase Homeseer so we wouldn't be tied to one companies products..

Comment

SmartThings is cloud based, why anyone would use a cloud based system is beyond me.

Zigbee is still a big mess with compatibility and creating code to control Zigbee is a giant nightmare. We started with a stick and could not get any support for coding with it. All the sticks use a different API and require dedicated code so when you pick on, you are stuck with it.

Once we find a good usable SDK for Zigbee we will take a look at it. Writing from scratch would take months and a ton of resources.

I don't really see any Zigbee devices that don't have a Z-Wave equivalent.

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
        "Can I be nitpicky again and ask when you're renaming the Plugin to HSLightify or HSOsram? The naming it Zigbee is misleading and not genuine as it doesn't work with anything other than the Osram/Sylvania lights."

I agree !!!!!

"... exactly. Needs to have full event functionality. Without color / temp control the plugin has little, if any, value. "

I agree !!!

What's the story with the Lightify Color / Tunable White bulb. It comes on randomly when the HS3 plugin is active and there appears to be no way to adjust the tunable whites !!

Looks to me like Osram is going the wifi way,, I'm I wrong ,, seeing more and more wifi products from Osram..

Seems to me that anybody looking to add a plugin for Zigbee would get in bed with Samsung ,, not only does there hub do Zigbee it also does Z-wave and maybe someday they with turn on the Bluetooth that there hub has.. It' a bummer that Smartthings doesn't appear to have a good UI.. It seems to me if somebody (Like Homeseer.) could me a plugin for the Smartthings hub to work with Homeseer it could put HS3 back on the best 10 HA lists....

I ask why a Osram Lightify Zigbee hub ,, why not one of the many fine Zigbee usb sticks , like Z-wave ?? Hubs are quickly going bye bye ,, WIFI seems to be gaining ground quickly ,, nobody wants to be tried to one companies products ,,, That's why most of us purchase Homeseer so we wouldn't be tied to one companies products..
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867 View Post
          "It seems to me if somebody (Like Homeseer.) could me a plugin for the Smartthings hub to work with Homeseer it could put HS3 back on the best 10 HA lists...."
          Oh no I totally disagree with this. I came from a Samsung hub. It now sits on the drawer. I now use Hubitat for the things that don't work with homeseer. I just ported all the smartthings stuff I had remaining into it. It's used for ZigBee and my Tado Thermostats only. But I'm days away from finishing a Tado plugin for homeseer.

I had a "plugin" of sorts to integrate homeseer with Smartthings which now I'm using on Hubitat to send the status of devices to homeseer. Then I just use events to send the status of the Homeseer Virtual Switches back. for all the positives that Hubitat bought to the table (Better Reliability and Local Control) I am still wanting to remove this long term from my setup and go 100% with Homeseer. The main reason is the Homeseer events/rules engine is unparalleled IMHO not even Addy's webcore can rival it.

My plan is to use the USB ZigBee adapter from the Hubitat device and write a plugin for this in homeseer as it just uses serial UART command to control the ZigBee network.

To intimate that homeseer is not one of the Top 10 HA solutions is misleading IMHO. I have tried intensively all Available except Wink. Vera for local processing has so many issues. And all the solutions have all been removed/sold and I am still aiming to remove the last. Homeseer is absolutely my favourite and I am heavily invested now. It's also the most expensive. But you really do get rock solid reliability for the price and my setup is now running at a 998 device count on an Atom NetTop with 4gb Ram. I have nearly 30 plugin instances and it's now finally reaching capacity but I have virtually nothing left to automate.

I just purchased a non pro version of homeseer on the May sales that I can run in a Linux VM to offload the cloud based devices I have into it. Like my Tado Thermostat plugin when it's finished. (Also allows me to test on Linux when writing plugins). if anyone asks me to do anything with home automation. I now only recommend homeseer (but the price does put a lot of people off, as HA devices ontop of that cost puts the price up to a huge investment) I just tell them that if you try and run cheaper solutions you will come full circle, and but homeseer anyway as all others lack reliability.

They may as well invest in the initial and save money in the long term.... Especially when they hear how many solutions I have bought in the past. Homeseer was the 9th platform I tried.

However. If you really want to go down the route of getting my solution to integrate Smartthings with Homeseer then give me a shout and I will put it up on GitHub... I used it heavily during the migration away from that platform. It's clunky but functional.

If Smartthings was really that good... Why would you even have homeseer in your automation arsenal?

Also Osram may be going more WiFi. But the problem with WiFi is just not as scaleable. I have just over 180 WiFi devices in my house and my WiFi struggled hugely. I have had to upgrade to enterprise grade Ubiquiti network to cope. So think how Ha devices will struggle especially as they all only use the 2.4ghz band . Which incidentally clashes with ZigBee. I use 100% of my 2.4ghz range with 3 ZigBee networks (Hue, Lightify and Hubitat). 2 G wireless networks channel 4 and 11 using only 20Hz range. And a dect telephone network.

I feel sorry for my neighbours as they will get a lot of 2.4ghz interference from me as I do a bit from them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
          Last edited by fuzzysb; June 16, 2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            SmartThings is cloud based, why anyone would use a cloud based system is beyond me.
            ... and yet you have based your Zigbee plugin on the Osram hub.
            HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
            Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
            on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
            WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
              Pretty sure Rich was talking about the backbone of the system, the 'brains'... not just specific tech... but I think you know that. We leverage the cloud where we can (Zigbee, IFTTT, Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post

If you've read some of my posts you know I'm happy to call out gaps and things in Homeseer I think are simply done wrong or not the way they should be based on 17 years of development.

BUT in this case I'm not sure there is a better alternative, at the moment.

Below are Pro's & Con's I see for both...

Sylvania Lightify (Osram) hub

Pro's:

1. Lightify HUB works fairly well. I've had a few glitches that required a hub reboot (unplug).

Con's:

1. Homeseer plugin doesnt work properly. Events cant choose colors and they don't support color temperature.

2. Lightify is closed system without a community, or any real support

... as usual with Homeseer, the 'solution' is half baked.

Smarthings v2

PRO's:

1. ST is open system with tons of community support

2. ST already works with many zigbee devices

... not sure if HST can leverage ST2 as an 'interface' for Zigbee, bypassing STs cloud processing. If that is possible, then its definitely better solution, in many ways, than Lightify.

Comment

Can you tell me what devices Zigbee has that Z-Wave doesn't that you would want to use? I saw one post that mentioned bulbs that support different white temperatures, but Aeotec just released one that has that. There are others.

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                  If you've read some of my posts you know I'm happy to call out gaps and things in Homeseer I think are simply done wrong or not the way they should be based on 17 years of development.

Comment

I saw one post that mentioned bulbs that support different white temperatures, but Aeotec just released one that has that. There are others.
                    I think that is semantics. If like me you have migrated to homeseer from another platform so already have a large investment of ZigBee. Then the lack of ZigBee support is a barrier to adoption

Comment

Can you tell me what devices Zigbee has that Z-Wave doesn't that you would want to use? I saw one post that mentioned bulbs that support different white temperatures, but Aeotec just released one that has that. There are others.

... using your logic, then there is no reason to use Homeseer! Smarthings or Vera can do the same thing Homeseer can. Tesla owners should be buying a Camry instead... does the same thing!

... why even have computerized automation at all? You simply get off your butt and turn on a light? Does the same thing, right!

If people want to use Zigbee they should have that option. Lightify & Hue are zigbee and many other, very inexpensive sensors ($5-10) are zigbee and they work with ST2.

I'm not arguing in strong favor for supporting ST2... but I would prefer the option being looked at to see if it is better for the HST community.

Right now your Lightify plugin is not functioning enough to make it usable for the intended purpose. Maybe if it was then the discussion would be different.

Comment

Ok, I see.

Originally posted by fuzzysb View Post
                        I think that is semantics. If like me you have migrated to homeseer from another platform so already have a large investment of ZigBee. Then the lack of ZigBee support is a barrier to adoption

Comment

Not sure your response was to my post. I was just curious as to what other devices Z-Wave is missing.

We are doing our best to support Zigbee but its a huge resource hog since there is no standard API. Companies that have created the chips have their own SDK and they are not easy to work with, that is why we choose Lightify as they do all the work in their hub. We are still investigating other solutions. And then when you do have something working you have to do special code for all the different Zigbee protocols, a real nightmare.

... using your logic, then there is no reason to use Homeseer! Smarthings or Vera can do the same thing Homeseer can. Tesla owners should be buying a Camry instead... does the same thing!

... why even have computerized automation at all? You simply get off your butt and turn on a light? Does the same thing, right!

If people want to use Zigbee they should have that option. Lightify & Hue are zigbee and many other, very inexpensive sensors ($5-10) are zigbee and they work with ST2.

I'm not arguing in strong favor for supporting ST2... but I would prefer the option being looked at to see if it is better for the HST community.

Right now your Lightify plugin is not functioning enough to make it usable for the intended purpose. Maybe if it was then the discussion would be different.

Comment

For me... really I only care about the Lighify color lights working properly so PLEASE get that working correctly. Make the HS3 Event system able to choose the color in the event. I dont see why this hasnt been fixed.

Not sure your response was to my post. I was just curious as to what other devices Z-Wave is missing.

We are doing our best to support Zigbee but its a huge resource hog since there is no standard API. Companies that have created the chips have their own SDK and they are not easy to work with, that is why we choose Lightify as they do all the work in their hub. We are still investigating other solutions. And then when you do have something working you have to do special code for all the different Zigbee protocols, a real nightmare.

I've never suggested you support zigbee directly.

To be clear I made 2 Points...

1) Lightify is one API and that doesnt even work. Choosing a Color via an event doesnt work. You dont support color temperature at all.
                            ... thus we cant even automate (use in events) Lightify devices with Homeseer!

2) If you created a plugin to interface with SmartThings, you could leverage their abstraction layer and all you would need to do is read/sync back the devices to Homeseer. Thus, you have NO Zigbee API/SDK to support at all... pure SmartThings, which is well documented and has a HUGE community to help.

Why not just make a deal with the coder for the JowiHue Plug-In to allow HS3 users to use his plugin free for basic stuff... like Lightify.
                            ... he seems to have it all done already. The money/time it costs you should be a wash and you wont have a bunch of upset users.

Comment

The color picker missing from the even action has been a todo task. It is done and should be available tomorrow.

If we can control ST devices though an API, that may not be bad idea. Need to investigate that.

For me... really I only care about the Lighify color lights working properly so PLEASE get that working correctly. Make the HS3 Event system able to choose the color in the event. I dont see why this hasnt been fixed.

I've never suggested you support zigbee directly.

To be clear I made 2 Points...

1) Lightify is one API and that doesnt even work. Choosing a Color via an event doesnt work. You dont support color temperature at all.
                              ... thus we cant even automate (use in events) Lightify devices with Homeseer!

2) If you created a plugin to interface with SmartThings, you could leverage their abstraction layer and all you would need to do is read/sync back the devices to Homeseer. Thus, you have NO Zigbee API/SDK to support at all... pure SmartThings, which is well documented and has a HUGE community to help.

Why not just make a deal with the coder for the JowiHue Plug-In to allow HS3 users to use his plugin free for basic stuff... like Lightify.
                              ... he seems to have it all done already. The money/time it costs you should be a wash and you wont have a bunch of upset users.

Comment

If we can control ST devices though an API, that may not be bad idea. Need to investigate that.
                                I already have a solution for this. That is simple enough. I will post the bits on GitHub today

It could do with more work on HS side also for it to work better. Without the need for events

Comment

Working...
                                X