This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Indeed, that would be perfect to control all this stuff from one center (USB stick?), but as Rich said above, Zigbee is confusing.

I've got a bunch of Zigbee's crap, comparing to Z-wave it's useless and more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    Originally posted by adanchenko View Post
    I remember seeing somewhere that Osram/Lightify bulbs work with WeMo hub. Maybe instead of Lightify hub you would better use WeMo? Belkin's Wemo has API, I guess it could be easier to plug into its code.
    Yes, I saw that too. . .but then don't you lose the link into HS (unless they add multiple hubs into their plugin eventually)? There are many solutions and I suspect what most of us want out of a Zigbee is a way to bring all devices under one control center. . .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    WeMo support?

I remember seeing somewhere that Osram/Lightify bulbs work with WeMo hub. Maybe instead of Lightify hub you would better use WeMo? Belkin's Wemo has API, I guess it could be easier to plug into its code.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    Now we are starting to see how confusing Zigbee is!

It appears that the Wemo bulbs do support the standard HA Zigbee protocol, but that does not mean they will work with the Lightify hub. There is a good chance they will. We will try to get a bulb so we can test. Wemo was originally all WiFi, but I see some of their stuff is Zigbee.

Originally posted by adanchenko View Post
    Do you plan to support WeMo bulbs through this plugin? Is it possible at all or WeMo is a closed system?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    WeMo support?

Do you plan to support WeMo bulbs through this plugin? Is it possible at all or WeMo is a closed system?

Leave a comment:

• Sgt. Shultz
    replied
    Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    Okay, I'm stuck!

I've bought a Lightify Gateway, and had to get it replaced as the first was not working. The second one is working properly, and I've added a Lightifyy RGBW-bulb to it and I can control it from the app.

However, I'm not able to get HS to communicate with the Lightify cloud. I'm sure the serial number is correct, and also the username and password.

But I still get "Test was not successful." when I press the "Test Cloud Connection" button, and this is in the log:
    Code:
    ZigBee Error: There was an exception retreiving the authorization token
    What do I do now?
    This was a result of Osram having a server in the US and one in Europe.

I have updated the plugin to allow users to specify the county to connect to.

The new version is 3.0.0.3

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    I have mine ordered, but waiting for it to get shipped. . .picked up a Cree bulb last night to test with when it arrives.

I did find this interesting in the FAQ - maybe it is possible to connect/control gateway directly without cloud? Not sure if the API offers this type of connection outside of the app?

08. Is an Internet connection needed for control?
    Expand
    Is an Internet connection needed for control?
    The LIGHTIFY system has been designed as an online system, and needs to be connected to the LIGHTIFY Cloud via the Internet to make the complete range of functions available, such as access while away from home. In detail, access to the Internet during installation and when configuring scenes or groups is mandatory. Controlling lamps and luminaires offline will also be supported from app version 1.0.3b11, for example even when your home WiFi is not connected to the Internet.

Leave a comment:

• Moskus
    replied
    Okay, I'm stuck!

I've bought a Lightify Gateway, and had to get it replaced as the first was not working. The second one is working properly, and I've added a Lightifyy RGBW-bulb to it and I can control it from the app.

However, I'm not able to get HS to communicate with the Lightify cloud. I'm sure the serial number is correct, and also the username and password.

But I still get "Test was not successful." when I press the "Test Cloud Connection" button, and this is in the log:
    Code:
    ZigBee Error: There was an exception retreiving the authorization token
    What do I do now?

Leave a comment:

• TechFan
    replied
    Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Zigbee is a mess in regards to compatibility. You mention Iris, we looked at the Iris devices, and while it is possible to control them with a standard Zigbee interface, they made changes to the protocol so the devices only work on an Iris network. It will be really hard to create a Zigbee interface that works with everything unless you do some reverse engineering.
    I guess that partly answers my question about the types of devices that will be controlled. I am most interested in the non-lighting zigbee devices. . .which seem to be cheaper when purchased from Lowes (Iris - Zigbee and Wifi), especially motion detection and their smart button, and they have devices I often don't find offered with ZWave connectivity.

Of course, I am also seeing a lot more WiFi connected devices (cheaper smart plugs/Halo smoke detection/etc) that I would love to integrate into HS directly (not via cloud services). . .but I still haven't jumped into the plugin world to implement my own integration.

I have seen some mention of directly/locally integrating with SmartThings to get access to Zigbee devices. Unfortunately, I understand that this might be considered "connecting" with an enemy. . .

Leave a comment:

• lunkan
    replied
    http://press.ikea.se/ikea-lanserar-t...art-belysning/
    The products are using ZigBee Light Link.

Leave a comment:

• waynehead99
    replied
    Originally posted by rjh View Post
    Zigbee is a mess in regards to compatibility. You mention Iris, we looked at the Iris devices, and while it is possible to control them with a standard Zigbee interface, they made changes to the protocol so the devices only work on an Iris network. It will be really hard to create a Zigbee interface that works with everything unless you do some reverse engineering.
    Don't get me wrong Rich, I am not trying to come down on you guys. I know you have put a lot of effort into zigbee development. I just think it hard to call this a zigbee plugin.

Because zigbee can lock you out unless you are in the vendor's ecosystem, I highly doubt you will ever make a lot of ground with zigbee in the way that you guys have been able to do with the zwave protocol.

Personally here I am not against buying a different controller for different equipment. My current system has at least 3 different controllers connected to equipment back to HS. This is just the reality of HA in its current form right now.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
    This is true, but that one controller connects to 100s of different branded devices. To me this sounds like you will have to buy a different controller to support different branded zigbee devices, which in turn you are still connecting to it outside of your network to make it work, so what have you gained here?

This is the biggest problem wth zigbee, it's so segmented because the protocol allows it to be.

Make a plugin that works with a zigbee USB stick that I can go and buy an iris door sensor and a hue lightbulb and have it work like zwave and you have a zigbee plugin. Otherwise all you have done here is tapped into an API across the internet to come back to another vendors device to control a light. My Amazon echo already does this same thing very well.

Leave a comment:

• waynehead99
    replied
    Originally posted by aptalca View Post
    Well, the zwave plugin connects to a zwave controller the same way HSZigbee connects to a zigbee controller. Neither is direct.

The difference is that the zwave plugin can connect to multiple controllers (smartstick+, aeon stick, z-net, etc.) whereas the zigbee plugin currently only connects to one.

HomeSeer might be expanding this plugin in the future to connect to multiple zigbee controllers (or hubs) in which case the current name would be appropriate.

This is true, but that one controller connects to 100s of different branded devices. To me this sounds like you will have to buy a different controller to support different branded zigbee devices, which in turn you are still connecting to it outside of your network to make it work, so what have you gained here?

This is the biggest problem wth zigbee, it's so segmented because the protocol allows it to be.

Make a plugin that works with a zigbee USB stick that I can go and buy an iris door sensor and a hue lightbulb and have it work like zwave and you have a zigbee plugin. Otherwise all you have done here is tapped into an API across the internet to come back to another vendors device to control a light. My Amazon echo already does this same thing very well.

Leave a comment:

• aptalca
    replied
    Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
    Rich,

Like jlrichard was saying, it should not be named as HSZigbee. The plugin is not connecting with the zigbee protocol, but to IP and as such not able to 'talk' Zigbee. The Zwave plugin is actually performing the Zwave protocol, so there the name is not confusing users.

This plugin is depending on a branded hub (Osram) and not on protocol. For clarity I would expect the name to point to the brand.

Once you get to be able to address the protocol directly through USB etc, you would need to replace/rewrite the plugin anyway, so why not use a clear name now?

Wim
    Well, the zwave plugin connects to a zwave controller the same way HSZigbee connects to a zigbee controller. Neither is direct.

The difference is that the zwave plugin can connect to multiple controllers (smartstick+, aeon stick, z-net, etc.) whereas the zigbee plugin currently only connects to one.

HomeSeer might be expanding this plugin in the future to connect to multiple zigbee controllers (or hubs) in which case the current name would be appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• aeklo
    replied
    Originally posted by w.vuyk View Post
    Aeklo,

There needs to be a clarification added to this

Connecting Osram to Philips Hue is only working for the EU version of Osram Lightify, not for the US version. This is caused by Osram as they are implementing a newer version of the Zigbee (ZLL) protocol (v3)
    And rumours are that Osram might also pull the connection to Philips Hue for EU versions for this version as well sometime soon.
    No word yet from Philips on this newer version of the protocol, so I do not know if/when Philips is planning to change. They were part of the development of this newer version.

Thanks,

Wim
    Good point! I was not*aware of the EU/US difference on Lightify.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X