Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TTS not working with chromecast dongle and Sony TV (cc built-in)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    TTS not working with chromecast dongle and Sony TV (cc built-in)

    Alex, finally getting back to testing and starting this new thread as requested. Hoping to get this and the issue with groups (separate post) resolved before my trial expires in a few days. Really want to use the PI for the TTSdisable functionality, but so far it's not working in a couple critical ways.

    Running PI version 3.0.0.18 with HS3 3.0.0.534 on Win10Pro.

    My chromecast dongle is a 1st generation device (model H2G2-42). The PI discovers the device but speak actions aren't working with it. Identical results with 2 Sony TVs with chromecast built-in.

    With the chromecast in what I would call its "ready state"--background image on the TV screen--I'm manually triggering an event with a speak action. I've tested the even on my GH minis, and it works fine. When sent to the chromecast, the image on the screen changes from the background image to this:


    But the TTS audio isn't emitted. These errors are logged:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-12-07 101924.jpg Views:	21 Size:	69.0 KB ID:	1345047
    After a few minutes the image on the TV returns to the "ready" state with the background image.

    Here are the PI devices associated with the chromecast dongle.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-12-07 102705.jpg Views:	20 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	1345048

    This is repeatable--same result and errors every time. I get the exact same results with my 2 Sony Bravia TVs with built-in chromecast. Here's the log from sending to one of the TVs.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-12-07 103351.jpg Views:	21 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	1345049

    Please advise how to troubleshoot.
    -Wade

    #2
    It looks like the chromecast app CC1AD845 is not recognised on these devices. Can you try casting any media from your PC (i.e. mp3) - then it should show the app ID.

    And may be updating firmware can help?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
      It looks like the chromecast app CC1AD845 is not recognised on these devices. Can you try casting any media from your PC (i.e. mp3) - then it should show the app ID.
      Is this what you mean?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-07 115225.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1345091

      Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
      And may be updating firmware can help?
      Current version is installed.
      -Wade

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
        Is this what you mean?
        That's Youtube app. I need to find out app id for media player for these devices.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
          That's Youtube app. I need to find out app id for media player for these devices.
          I don't use these devices nor HS3 for streaming media and I don't know what you mean. What media player are you referring to?
          -Wade

          Comment


            #6
            Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is what shows up while casting an .mp3 file to the Chromecast dongle using VLC.

            Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2019-12-10 230712.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	1345906
            -Wade

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
              Don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this is what shows up while casting an .mp3 file to the Chromecast dongle using VLC.
              But it is CC1AD845 - and it works?

              Comment


                #8
                If CC1AD845 works - it must be just timeout - try increasing "App Start Timeout" to 10 sec

                Comment


                  #9
                  It appears my firewall has been the problem. Adjusting the timeout made it work, although not consistently and errors were still thrown. I allow established and related traffic from my IoT vlan (where the chromecast resides) to my private vlan (where my server and other PCs reside) and drop all other traffic in that direction. I've not had any problems casting from my PCs for other purposes so it didn't occur to me that could be the issue. I opened it up completely between the 2 vlans and the PI seems to be working properly now.

                  Do you know what particular firewall pinhole(s) might be required to make it work? My other option is to move the chromecast to my private vlan, although I'd rather not.

                  Thanks for helping me work through this.
                  -Wade

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'm glad you worked it out. i know it's using port 8009. Nothing else from my knowledge.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                      I'm glad you worked it out. i know it's using port 8009. Nothing else from my knowledge.
                      Thanks. I'll see if I can narrow the firewall opening.
                      -Wade

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by cc4005 View Post
                        Thanks. I'll see if I can narrow the firewall opening.
                        Googling shows ports 8008 and 8009 https://blog.g3rt.nl/allow-google-ch...-iptables.html

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X