Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Events using status of device

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Events using status of device

    Alex,
    I am wondering if there is a particular reason that a GH device has seperate status graphics for each value.
    For example. Control and Status for same value have 2 different Text. I realize I can change the text for each so that they match. It makes it confusing (for me at least) trying to use these values in events for triggers and conditions. I have tried to get an event to fire based on condition of "state" of device and having difficulty.

    Or someone can enlighten me, what is easiest way to use values for triggers and conditions. I would greatly appreciate it!

    For example. One of my GH Mini on status graphics page for device. (ROOT device if you will with all of the options, playing, stop etc.)

    The value is -1008
    The Text is & #9654; for control
    The Text is Playing for Status

    **EDIT to try to clarify**

    #2
    Here is screen shot for example

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_84813.png
Views:	127
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	1351172

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
      I am wondering if there is a particular reason that a GH device has seperate status graphics for each value.
      For example. Control and Status for same value have 2 different Text. I realize I can change the text for each so that they match. It makes it confusing (for me at least) trying to use these values in events for triggers and conditions. I have tried to get an event to fire based on condition of "state" of device and having difficulty.
      It's actually useful HS feature. I'll try to explain.

      The control string is used for the HS buttons and event actions, i.e. "Pause" and "Stop".
      The status string is used for the status display and event conditions, i.e. "Paused" and "Stopped" (or "Idle").

      But internally it's using the same integer value for both.

      So when the user clicks the "Pause" button - HS sends the value "-1007" to the plugin. If the playback is successfully paused - the plugin confirms to HS that the device status is set to "-1007", so HS displays "Paused" status.

      Because internally only the integer value is used - you can change the text strings to whatever you want - it will only affect the display.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
        I have tried to get an event to fire based on condition of "state" of device and having difficulty.
        What's the problem?

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
          The value is -1008
          The Text is & #9654; ▶ for control
          The Text is Playing for Status
          Click image for larger version  Name:	controls - Copy.PNG Views:	0 Size:	5.7 KB ID:	1351212 The control text is used on the buttons, i.e. "& #9654;" is the unicode character for ▶

          I realise that it makes it more difficult to use in HS event actions. You can change it to "Play" string.



          Comment


            #6
            Thanks Alex.
            I am sure it is more of a "learning curve" for me than anything. To get it into my head where I can wrap some thought around it.
            I realized I could change the Text status of each, was just curious as to why they were that way.

            For me at least, it is a bit more difficult to remember which Number sequence is which function. The event was not performing way I intended. So I will go back and look at it again!

            Thanks

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
              For me at least, it is a bit more difficult to remember which Number sequence is which function. The event was not performing way I intended. So I will go back and look at it again!
              Yeah, initially I used just the text for both status and control - i.e. Pause and Paused - so they look similar and many don't even notice the difference. But lots of buttons with text looks ugly, then I found the unicode strings which are displayed as symbols i.e. "& #9654;" for "▶" - now it looks good, but the only problem is - it's difficult to use in event actions.

              I think you don't need to worry too much as it will change in HS4 anyways.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                Click image for larger version Name:	controls - Copy.PNG Views:	0 Size:	5.7 KB ID:	1351212 The control text is used on the buttons, i.e. "& #9654;" is the unicode character for ▶

                I realise that it makes it more difficult to use in HS event actions. You can change it to "Play" string.


                Alex,
                As suspected, it was probably my learning curve and figuring things out a little more with the icon buttons vs text buttons. I think I have it figured out enough to make it work like I want it to with the events. Thanks for the clairficaton on the symbol sequence for status. Makes a little more sense as to why. Which is what I was curious about.

                What do you mean is changing in HS4? Your plug in is changing with HS4? Or are you not planning to make it compatible with HS4?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
                  What do you mean is changing in HS4? Your plug in is changing with HS4? Or are you not planning to make it compatible with HS4?
                  I mean in HS4 they changed completely how the devices/config/events are displayed. So I guess in HS4 I will have more options.

                  And yes, I will have to change all plugins to work in HS4 properly. And it's going to be quite a bit of work...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

                    I mean in HS4 they changed completely how the devices/config/events are displayed. So I guess in HS4 I will have more options.

                    And yes, I will have to change all plugins to work in HS4 properly. And it's going to be quite a bit of work...
                    Understand on different look in HS4 and more options just from what I have read about it.
                    Changes seem intense to import for HS4 natively as seem to be posted in other threads as well.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Meapilot View Post

                      Understand on different look in HS4 and more options just from what I have read about it.
                      Changes seem intense to import for HS4 natively as seem to be posted in other threads as well.
                      Yeah, and HS4 is still work in progress.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post

                        Yeah, and HS4 is still work in progress.
                        Right! I am in no rush to convert to HS4. I have the upgrade, but I will not install to run in "production mode" as soon as its available. Only to tinker around and mess with in a test environment! Give it time to get bugs figured out and settled down a bit before putting it into a "production only mode" in my home.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Meapilot View Post
                          Give it time to get bugs figured out and settled down a bit before putting it into a "production only mode" in my home.
                          I'm afraid it will take about 6 months to have a reliable version, also plugins migration will be slow too - for plugin developers it's second job (usually night job) and HST communication (and documentation) is not always supportive.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X