Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error on Windows: Could not load file or assembly Sockets.Plugin

I am getting this following error on HS3 running on Windows 7:

"ERROR Could not load file or assembly 'Sockets.Plugin, Version=2.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."

- Chromecast used to work but stopped working a few weeks ago. I can't tie the failure to any specific changes at that time
    - All of the Chromecast devices identified by Bonjour show up "offline" with a greyed out Test button
    - I have tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the plugin
    - It fails with the same error on 3.0.0.31 and 3.0.0.34

Not sure if it means anything but the sockets.plugin.dll in the bin\chromecast directory has an file date/time of the most recent plugin installation while the other files in the directory have varying dates occurring earlier. When I look at the details of the DLL in Explorer the fields are blank whereas the other DLLs have the fields populated with the usual developer details.

Most of the other posts are related to mono installs on Linux, but this is failing on Windows. Has anyone encountered and fixed this one?

First, disable the Chromecast plugin and try to reinstall it.

Do you have any of these dlls in the HS3 root dir:
    - Google.Protobuf.dll
    - Sockets.Plugin.dll
    - Sockets.Plugin.Abstractions.dll

if so, they have been installed by another plugin and shouldn't be there. Remove them and then enable the Chromecast plugin.

Comment

Those three files only exist in the Chromecast plugin directory.

I went so far as to uninstall the Chromecast plugin; through the Updater and then manually removing the remaining artifacts. Rebooted the system, reinstalled Chromecast from the Beta section. Still the same behaviour: all devices identified automatically, but all come up offline.

I don't know if it means anything, but if I disable a Chromecast and restart the plugin, the disabled device shows an Online checkmark. As soon as I enable the device, the checkmark goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by sbiswanger View Post
        Those three files only exist in the Chromecast plugin directory.

I went so far as to uninstall the Chromecast plugin; through the Updater and then manually removing the remaining artifacts. Rebooted the system, reinstalled Chromecast from the Beta section. Still the same behaviour: all devices identified automatically, but all come up offline.

I don't know if it means anything, but if I disable a Chromecast and restart the plugin, the disabled device shows an Online checkmark. As soon as I enable the device, the checkmark goes away.
        It means the plugin is able to discover your devices but it fails to connect to them. Set the log level to Debug, and post the logs you get when you restart the plugin.
        thanks

Comment

Here is the debug log. It looks like it repeats the discovery over and over so I trimmed it down.
          Attached Files

Comment

what version of .NET do you have?

Comment

.NET Framework: 4.7.2

Comment

For some unknown reason the plugin cannot load Sockets.Plugin.dll, I suspect it tries to load another file located on your system.
                To troubleshoot this you need to enable "Assembly binding logging" by adding or modifying a value in the registry, here is how to do it:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7lFB_AJ2vY

then from the HS3 PLUG-INS page, enable developer mode, then restart the Chromecast plugin, some additional debug info will be printed to the console when the plugin tries to connect to a Chromecast and it fails to load the dll. Please post that here. Thanks

Comment

Attached are the expanded chromecast.txt debug log and the referenced machine.config file.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X