Converting from manual config to v35 discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting from manual config to v35 discovery

Big props for integrating discovery within the plugin. I was avoiding Bonjour and couldn't figure out how to access my groups. Now, they appear. Thank you!

So, I manually configured my 7 devices a long time ago with bogus IDs. Now with v35 they've all been detected and have created new entries in your plugin and new HS devices. I've already programmed some things based on my old manually configured devices and would like to confirm the correct process for cleaning things up.

1) Shut down plugin
    2) Edit ini file to replace bogus IDs with discovered IDs then delete newly added entries
    3) Start plugin
    4) Delete newly added HS devices

Any other steps?

Thank you again for the addition of a great feature!
    HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Unfortunately the HS devices that will work with the plugin are the newly added ones because they are saved in the HS database with the ID.
    So there is no easy way to change the ids of the old ones in the database, you would need a script or a tool that is able to update the PlugExtraData of a HS device.

Comment

My manually configured devices still work. Are you saying the plugin will just keep recreating the new ones unless I edit the HS database?

Do you know of or recommend any tools to edit the database?
      HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
        My manually configured devices still work. Are you saying the plugin will just keep recreating the new ones unless I edit the HS database?
        Yes

Do you know of or recommend any tools to edit the database?
        No, I think it would be better to just update all your events and scripts with the new devices.

Comment

That's too bad. Not only is it events and scripts, but I renamed all of the sub devices. :-(

Would you consider adding a feature to allow this from within the plugin? Some way to change the physical device associated with the HS device? This would be super useful in the event that one of your devices dies and you need to replace it. It would also be useful when I replace my Hub with a Hub Max.

Comment

I just wanted to confirm you have no interest in adding a way to reassign cast devices to existing HS devices. It appears the other cast plugin allows for this and considering the amount of work I have ahead of me cleaning up what has been described above, I may want to make the switch now. I'd prefer to stick w/ your PI but this is an important feature for me. Thanks!

Comment

I just wanted to confirm you have no interest in adding a way to reassign cast devices to existing HS devices. It appears the other cast plugin allows for this and considering the amount of work I have ahead of me cleaning up what has been described above, I may want to make the switch now. I'd prefer to stick w/ your PI but this is an important feature for me. Thanks!
              I never said I had no interest in adding such a feature, I just need to find the time to implement it.

Comment

Oh, OK. Great! I mistook the silence after my last post as you not being interested in that feature. I will try to wait patiently :-)

Comment

I guess I'm not so patient. I was considering moving to the other plugin but then I read the HS4 announcement and other information.

I really need a way to convert my manually added devices to work with auto discovery. There are so many scripts and events, and then all the renaming. Plus this feature would be necessary for device replacement. I'm hoping this can be added before HS4.

Thank you for considering.

Comment

I guess I'm not so patient. I was considering moving to the other plugin but then I read the HS4 announcement and other information.

I really need a way to convert my manually added devices to work with auto discovery. There are so many scripts and events, and then all the renaming. Plus this feature would be necessary for device replacement. I'm hoping this can be added before HS4.

Thank you for considering.
                    I'm working on it, and I hope to have it done before end of the week.
                    Note that if you use the CastMedia scripting function, you will still have to update the script because the chromecast id is passed as parameter.

Comment

That's great news! Thanks for the update.

I haven't used CastMedia() yet, but appreciate the note. On this topic, do group IDs ever change? I understand the IP and Port could change.

Comment

• Install version BETA 3.0.0.40
                        • Go to the plugin config page
                        • Click on the delete button for your newly discovered chromecast, this will delete the corresponding HS devices
                        • Copy the ID of the newly discovered chromecast
                        • Click the on the name link of the manually added chromecast, this will bring you to the root device config page, you should see a new tab like in the screenshot below:
                        • Click in the Chromecast ID text field and paste the new ID, then click submit
                        • Then restart the plugin

Click image for larger version

Name:	deviceconfig.png
Views:	127
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1337492

Comment

Beautiful! This appears to have worked perfectly. Granted I have not tested each device and all groups yet, but I was able to eliminate the unwanted HomeSeer devices and prevent them from reappearing on the Config page by entering the IDs into my previously configured devices. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                          X