Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get IP and Port of speaker groups for VLC command line playlist casting

Hi,

I've been searching for a way to have HS start a m3u playlist playing through a google speaker group. I cannot seem to get a m3u playlist working by casting it directly with this plugin. Research leads me to believe I will need another piece of software to consume the playlist and send 1 URL at a time to the chromecasts. If anyone knows of a better way please let me know.

It appears VLC may be able to help here. It apparently supports casting via command line, however I need to supply the IP and Port in the command line arguments. Since group IPs and Ports can change over time, and this plugin keeps that up to date, I was hoping there would be a way to retrieve that information. Looks like I should be able to retrieve the IP information from the Root device, but what about Port? If I could access this info in a script or replacement variables I could then have HS launch VLC with the correct parameters.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_command-line_help

Much thanks!
    HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

In case anyone is curious, this will cast a playlist using VLC:

vlc "BIG playlist.m3u" --sout "#chromecast" --sout-chromecast-ip="192.168.#.###" --demux-filter=demux_chromecast --random --qt-start-minimized --one-instance

I'm casting to just 1 speaker here. If I want to cast to a group I need the IP and Port number for the group. Since these values for groups can apparently change randomly, I need to obtain them from this plugin or its devices.

Can you please consider adding port number information to the plugin? Something that would be accessible via scripting?

Thanks!
    HomeSeer 3, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Smart Speakers, Foscam cameras, Amcrest camera, RCA HSDB2a doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Hi again,

Sorry to be a pain. It seems I'm the only one interested in this right now, but I think this would be an easy update. I am very eager to be able to programmatically cast music playlists on my local network to my speaker groups. This appears to be the only way.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X