Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PI not working with "Chromecast with Google TV"

Hi,

Wanted to let you know this PI is not reporting Status (always "Idle") with the new Chromecast with Google TV dongle.

It does report "App" correctly.

Edit: with Kodi, the plugin does report play/pause status correctly, but not with netflix/prime video (always idle)

Originally posted by benrjunk View Post
    Hi,

Wanted to let you know this PI is not reporting Status (always "Idle") with the new Chromecast with Google TV dongle.

It does report "App" correctly.

Edit: with Kodi, the plugin does report play/pause status correctly, but not with netflix/prime video (always idle)
    Even though Google calls this a "chromecast", it's not really that. It's an Android TV device, that also supports acting like a chromecast, just like my Nvidia Shiled TV's are. When you are running the native Netflix or Disney app per se, it's not acting as a chromecast, so of course the Chromecast status shows up as idle.

In other words, it works as intended.

thx
    mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. I understand this device is different. Considering the PI is able to detect app, and status within Kodi one wonders if spud could update the PI to work with this device, which still has Chromecast in its name.

Of note, even when I use the Netflix app on my phone and the cast icon in the app, this PI does not report status.

I wonder if adb debugging would be required to detect status, as is done with homeassistant for these devices. Here is the code for that project:

https://github.com/JeffLIrion/python-androidtv

Comment

Hi spud , any comment on this issue?

Thank you

Comment

Hi spud . Any acknowledgement or plan to address/look in to this issue?

Just a brief update -- almost all apps work as they should, with the exception of netflix. Even prime video when launched and controlled from the androidtv interface reports playback status. Netflix does not. Hopefully this is just a simple fix.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by benrjunk View Post
            Hi spud . Any acknowledgement or plan to address/look in to this issue?

Just a brief update -- almost all apps work as they should, with the exception of netflix. Even prime video when launched and controlled from the androidtv interface reports playback status. Netflix does not. Hopefully this is just a simple fix.

Thanks!

Unfortunately no this isn't a simple fix, the Netflix app simply does not send "media status" messages like other applications do, so there is not much I can do on the plugin side.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post

Unfortunately no this isn't a simple fix, the Netflix app simply does not send "media status" messages like other applications do, so there is not much I can do on the plugin side.
              OK thanks.

FYI, the plugin has now completely stopped working with the device. It won't discover it on the network anymore and it looks like the chromecast port 8008/8009 are closed.

Comment

For anyone else having this issue, I have migrated from homeseer to home assistant. They have an AndroidTV integration (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/androidtv/) that works perfectly with this new device.

They also have a separate Chromecast integration that works with all the other Chromecast devices (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/cast/).

Comment

I wonder if this PI would work with your new Chromecast device w/ Android TV:

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/me...roller-dcorsus

It seems to work the way you'd like with other smart TV operating systems. I use it with my LG TV, which I think is WebOS. Might be worth a try
                  HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
                  Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

So I just started to notice that the native application, Title and status on my Shield TV's DOES work in this plugin. I had never thought that actually worked outside of the Chromecast function, but it does appear to work. Are you saying that this doesn't work for the Google TV device?

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
                      So I just started to notice that the native application, Title and status on my Shield TV's DOES work in this plugin. I had never thought that actually worked outside of the Chromecast function, but it does appear to work. Are you saying that this doesn't work for the Google TV device?
                      Depends on application. Netflix with this device does not report status at all. Amazon prime, Kodi, and most other apps (but not all) do work.

Comment

Working...
                      X