Stop Google Home initial "ping"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop Google Home initial "ping"

With some valuable help from the forum, I'm in the process of replacing my X10 barking dog with a Nest Audio speaker playing an MP3 file sent via the Chromecast PI. It works great, but the one problem I have is that the speaker seems to sleep (after 5 mins of inactivity, I believe) - so if it then gets the mp3 to play, it precedes it with that annoying Google home "ping" sound. I hoped that via the GH app, I could disable this via the "Accessibility" feature which has a "play start sound" and "play end sound" toggle - but these seem to have no effect. Any suggestions?

I read long ago that some people, or maybe just one person, casted a super long silent mp3 over and over again so that the speakers never left that cast receive mode. I've never tried this since I have some hubs/displays in the mix and it would make them rather useless.

I too am annoyed by that sound and wish there was a better way to prevent it.
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

I'd read something similar, but had hoped for a more elegant solution. For the moment, I've set up an event that sends a one second silent mp3 every couple of minutes. Right now it seems to work, although I had read that someone who'd done something similar did occasionally encounter problems with this approach. We shall see.

Comment

Working...
      X