Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL as Database Engine

Has anyone used SQL server yet?

I am curious if it significantly speeds up data load response times... I have about 250-300 channels configured and it takes a while to display the listings with the Access database engine.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Yes, I'm using SQL server and I tested many times and came up with these results.

I have selected 134 channels.

With Access the page takes 28 seconds. With SQL Server the page takes 7 seconds. With MySQL the page takes 8 seconds.

But HSTV won't work with MySQL until version MySQL 4.1 is released.

Jeff Farmer
    HomeSeer user since March, 2000

--
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

cool! Thanks.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

To do SQL, don't we need to create a database and table structure?

Do you by chance have the SQL to do the above?

Comment

Yes, since I am running on SQL Server, I can get you a sql script to create the tables.
          OR
          You can upsize your Access db, there should be a tool available in Access to do this. And it will transfer your data at the same time.

Let me know if you decide you want the sql script and I can emial it to you.

Jeff Farmer

--
          Jeff Farmer
          HS 3, HSPhone
          Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

What's the cost of SQL server for the average homeseer user so we could take advantage of the higher load speeds of HSTV/SQL server? Is the scaled down free version sufficient (MSDE?) for the task, or is the expensive SQL server required?

In lieu of this, I wonder if perhaps the TV listings could be created like was done previously... Download the listings, make the web pages, and then the tvlistings web page simply points at existing web pages instead of having to dynamically create them.

This seems like a relatively reasonable thing that would take a long time at 4am each day and save lots of time at 7:57pm/8:57pm/9:57pm.

Ok, that's my $0.02 worth. Regardless of the speed, the new listings systems is way cool awesome!

huggy(d1)
            huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I have never worked with the free version of SQL server. Where is it available at?

I think for most that MySQL is going to be a better alternative as a step up from Access.
              Currently only one page of HSTV can not work with MySQL prior to version 4.1.
              The current alpha release of MySQL is 4.1. I don't know when it will go to a beta release.

Jeff Farmer

--
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

MSDE 1.0 is available if you have Visual Studio. It is hidden in the installation media somewhere and until recently was downloadable from Microsoft. Refer to this link. Not sure if it comes with Win2k Pro. I do know it comes with win2k server though. Another link is here.

MSDE 2000 is available on Office XP and Visio 2000 media, both of which grant the single user license to use the sql engine. More info at here.

A support link is at here.

If anyone gets this working with either the 1.0 or 2000 version, would be helpful to describe the process, from download, to configure, and working so others could use it since there are many ways to qualify for the install-for-free license/use.

huggy(d1)
                huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

SQL Server Developers Editon is now selling for $49. SQL Server Developer Edition has all of the functionality of SQL Server Enterprise Edition.
                  So yes, this would work for HSTV.

However, the Developers Edition is licensed per developer and must be used for designing, developing, and testing purposes only.

Jeff Farmer

--
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

I use SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine(MSDE) available here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Direct Download Link:
                    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...l2kdesksp3.exe

If the SQL queries are well written and search indexed fields, then your queries should return results in under a second.

Regards,
                    Ultrajones
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I would like to convert my access hstv db to sql. Xince I have office xp pro I installed msde from the link in a previous message. I tried to upscale the db, but it did not go well. it seems my screen reader will not work well with access. Could anyone please provide instructions on what to do.
                      1. open access
                      2. open the hstv db
                      3. go to tools then db tools then upscale
                      4. choose convert to new db
                      5. choose next
                      6. it askes for username and password here
                      7. Now it is asking for tables and I can not do anything here as it don't read correctly.

I did play around with it and I created a few files some how in the data\hs dir, but nothing with a sql extention.

If some one can help me with more instructions so I can explain to some one who don't use computers but will read what is on the screen to me to acomplish the task or if there is an automated way to handle this them I am all ears.

1. convert the db
                      2. get hstv to use the new db

Thanks.

Jim
                      Voice, Text chat and brows the web
                      http://www.talkingcommunities.com/iv...eer&secure=Jim

Comment

SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) will only allow a few (two, if memory serves) connections, so it should work fine with HSTV.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Boyes:
                          SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE) will only allow a few (two, if memory serves) connections, so it should work fine with HSTV.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I believe it does not limit the number of connections, but slows down when there are multiple connections. MSDE 1.0 (SQL7) defenitly worked this way. It would start to slow down with more then 5 connections. I am not 100% sure about MSDE 2.0 (SQL2000), but I believe it is the same.

Alan

Comment

Alan,

You are quite correct. A little investigation on my part proved it!

Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Boyes on Tue, 28 October 2003 at 04:09 PM.]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Boyes:
                              Alan,

You are quite correct. A little investigation on my part proved it!

Jeff

[This message was edited by Jeff Boyes on Tue, 28 October 2003 at 04:09 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for trying it out. Now I feel comfortable upgrading my MSDE 1.0 database.

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X