Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MediaController crashes and requires restart (UPNP + XBOX?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MediaController crashes and requires restart (UPNP + XBOX?)

Vanilla HS3 (windows x64) with only MediaController plug in installed (3.0.0.33). UPNP works fine for a while, detects and controls two Samsung TV's (6000 and 7000 series). Downloaded remote buttons and they work a treat. However, the beloved Xbox starts and within a short time I can look at the MediaController plug in and the TV's have changed status to "Activated Offline" and I lose the ability to control them. Only a restart of the PI brings them to life again, but if the Xbox is on.. it will seek and destroy.

Originally posted by gyoza View Post
    Vanilla HS3 (windows x64) with only MediaController plug in installed (3.0.0.33). UPNP works fine for a while, detects and controls two Samsung TV's (6000 and 7000 series). Downloaded remote buttons and they work a treat. However, the beloved Xbox starts and within a short time I can look at the MediaController plug in and the TV's have changed status to "Activated Offline" and I lose the ability to control them. Only a restart of the PI brings them to life again, but if the Xbox is on.. it will seek and destroy.
    Does the xbox cause IP address conflicts perhaps? Other network issues?

Comment

No network related issues from the xbox, ip reserved and has been from the router for some time. only other device is a chromecast that your plug in detects successfully.
      the xbox itself has a utility it runs to test upnp and it is all good too.

Comment

Take some traces perhaps?
        Any errors in the log file?
        Your tittle said, crashes Mediacontroller, can you elaborate? Does the PI really crashes and restarts or ???
        Do you have enough memory on this PC?
        Would turn the PI's debug flag on, make sure the UPNP debug level is set to errors only, turn log to disk on. Now turn on xbox and watch the log, do you see errors, lots of activity, crash?
        If it crashes, go to the <hs root>\html\MediaController\Log directory and grab the log files, especially the .bak because that is the one we had before the PI was restarted.
        Cheers,
        Dirk

Comment

The PC has 12GB RAM running Win10. It doesnt appear to run short on RAM. When I start Homeseer, the plugin starts as expected, it detects the devices on my network and they illuminate green. For example: The HDHomerun stays green the longest as it must be set at factory to stay on. The Chromecasts illuminate green for a while, but I think they go to sleep after 30 mins and the PI sets them to 'active online', and changes them to orange. I have turned off UPNP at the router and set the ports manually, but the Samsungs TV's go orange too and cannot be operated via HS. I have done as you have requested and watched the log but no errors relating to the xbox (i am wary of the xbox as it will operate one tv fine until the xbox is switched on). The only obvious error is from the Chromecasts:
          Error in ProcessServiceDocument for device = Chromecast Main Room retrieving the ServiceXML with URL = http://192.168.0.17:8008 and ServiceURL = /ssdp/notfound and error = The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
          When I restart the PI, the devices come green again and the TV's be controlled, but after a short while the devices go orange again and cant be controlled via HS.

Samsung TV's: UA55KU6000 and UA46D7000. Should both TV's be controllable at the same time via different iphones running HS?
          Attached Files

Comment

The PC has 12GB RAM running Win10. It doesnt appear to run short on RAM. When I start Homeseer, the plugin starts as expected, it detects the devices on my network and they illuminate green. For example: The HDHomerun stays green the longest as it must be set at factory to stay on. The Chromecasts illuminate green for a while, but I think they go to sleep after 30 mins and the PI sets them to 'active online', and changes them to orange. I have turned off UPNP at the router and set the ports manually, but the Samsungs TV's go orange too and cannot be operated via HS. I have done as you have requested and watched the log but no errors relating to the xbox (i am wary of the xbox as it will operate one tv fine until the xbox is switched on). The only obvious error is from the Chromecasts:
            Error in ProcessServiceDocument for device = Chromecast Main Room retrieving the ServiceXML with URL = http://192.168.0.17:8008 and ServiceURL = /ssdp/notfound and error = The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
            When I restart the PI, the devices come green again and the TV's be controlled, but after a short while the devices go orange again and cant be controlled via HS.

Samsung TV's: UA55KU6000 and UA46D7000. Should both TV's be controllable at the same time via different iphones running HS?
            Have you given the PI proper allowance on your firewall? Perhaps turn firewall off on HS PC and see if things work as they should.
            What do you mean by "UPNP at the router and set the ports manually", are we talking about port forwarding here on a router? UPNP is designed NOT to pass any routers.
            The chromecast error is benign, they don't support services, has nothing to do with this.

Comment

Exactly 60 mins after successful PI initiation, all devices change colour and the TV's are inaccessible.
              Attached Files

Comment

"UPNP at the router and set the ports manually".. you are correct I was referring to setting up port forwarding.
                I will turn the PC firewall off in an attempt to try and isolate it. When you say "given the PI proper allowance on your firewall?".. what exceptions does the PI need on the windows firewall?

Comment

Exactly 60 mins after successful PI initiation, all devices change colour and the TV's are inaccessible.
                  which means that none of the "unsolicited" messages are being received. Very typically a firewall preventing the broadcast messages from being received

Comment

sorry Dirk, I dont understand you previous post...

I started the PI again, and noticed this error:
                    Attempt by plugin to register a duplicate link of MediaConfig. Plugin: MediaController Instance: b2d390a2-c2d7-4f2a-8b95-267d37b2dee7

Comment

if the Win10 firewall is preventing the broadcast messages from being received, where do I make the change? Am nervous about turning the firewall off all together

Comment

if the Win10 firewall is preventing the broadcast messages from being received, where do I make the change? Am nervous about turning the firewall off all together
                        which AV or Firewall are you using? If Defender, typically when a new program gets installed and it accesses the Ethernet port, a window pops up to allow the program incoming, outgoing (or both) access. If you didn't see that, open your firewall, look for PROGRAM allowances and look for hspi_MediaController.exe in the list (or add it) and give it allowance for both. It really depends on which firewall program you are using; the principle of adding a program and giving it allowance to the ethernet port is sorta the same on all programs.
                        The error above is an HS issue where it doesn't clean up the link when you start/stop a program. Are you running the latest (beta section) version of the PI?

Comment

i have Defender in place and have changed the setting to your recommendation. i have 3.0.0.33 installed. how does one gain access to to 3.0.0.35/37?
                          Attached Files

Comment

i have Defender in place and have changed the setting to your recommendation. i have 3.0.0.33 installed. how does one gain access to to 3.0.0.35/37?
                            open the BETA section of the updater and select the MediaController

Comment

It worked! Thanks for your help Dirk.

Comment

Working...
                              X