Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use this PI to detect if my TV is on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use this PI to detect if my TV is on?

Folks:

Can this plugin (via the devices it creates) discover if my Samsung UN46ES7100FX is powered on or not? I'm hoping to be able to use that information in other events. Thanks in advance for any replies / help.

Regards,
    BBB

Originally posted by BigBadBuzz View Post
    Folks:

Can this plugin (via the devices it creates) discover if my Samsung UN46ES7100FX is powered on or not? I'm hoping to be able to use that information in other events. Thanks in advance for any replies / help.

Regards,
    BBB
    Just looked at my code, it appears that those functions never made it into this (HS3 based) version.
    Sorry,
    Dirk

Comment

Thanks for letting me know, Dirk. Would you happen to know if Samsung even provides that capability? All the open source “remote control” code I’ve been able to find only sends commands TO the TV.

Regards,
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBuzz View Post
        Thanks for letting me know, Dirk. Would you happen to know if Samsung even provides that capability? All the open source “remote control” code I’ve been able to find only sends commands TO the TV.

Regards,
        Paul
        This PI is built on top of DLNA/UPNP which at its basic level has discovery and eventing functions. If powered down/up properly, the TV does send out Alive or ByeBye events, that's how the PI knows whether the device is on line or not. Unfortunately, the coding to generate HS events was never ported. You could use Jon00 logging analysis tools to hunt for on-line/off-line events and use those. Suggest you fire up the PI, add the TV as a device, look at the log in real-time when you power on/off the TV. If there are unique enough log-entries use those to set perhaps a virtual device that shows on-line off-line. Perhaps you can use the status of the device which should go from on-line to off-line and use that in your events.
        Just give it a whirl ....

Comment

Dirk:

That is a great suggestion - I’ll give it a try. Now all I need is more “hobby time”...

Paul

Comment

Another option, I have my TV plugged into a z-wave smart switch (one that reports energy usage) and trigger TV on/off events using the energy info.
            Len

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
            Linux version: Linux homeseer Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64
            Number of Devices: 633
            Number of Events: 773

Enabled Plug-Ins
            2.0.54.0: BLBackup
            2.0.40.0: BLLAN
            3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
            30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
            3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
            3.0.0.87: weatherXML
            3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

That sounds more reliable. Thanks.

Comment

I have two Samsung models, an "F" series and a "J"series. Both are on the LAN. I use BLLAN to determine if they are powered up or not.

Comment

Originally posted by lveatch View Post
                  Another option, I have my TV plugged into a z-wave smart switch (one that reports energy usage) and trigger TV on/off events using the energy info.
                  I used that method . But sometime my tv decide to go into sleep mode . For no reason. So sometime the tv was at 0watt... sometime it was in sleep and at 50 watt. Sometime it was open at 55 watt(you can imagine the fun here lol). So upnp was the only thing that worked for me . But that surely depends on what tv you have

Comment

Working...
                  X