Trying to switch on-off Samsung TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cor, thanks a lot for the trace.

Not sure why the last 5 minutes were missing, just to double check, before you grab the log file, do you turn the log to disk flag off? That is important because that's when all info is written to disk.

The trace was very helpful, it didn't tell me why the remote stopped working but it shows that each time you turn the TV on/off , some things go wrong in the PI and after each power on, the messages that flow during discovery, doubles, triples, quadruples and by the time this log ended, I could see that the previous discovery processes was already taking 15 seconds and a small gazillion bytes back and forth. My suspicion is that becomes overwhelming and there is a ping/pong 5 second check between TV and PI that I suspect times out and the TV (I suspect) releases the connection.

I believe I have fixed the issue of TV on/off, tweaked the logging somewhat so that we capture a ton less. Attached a new version. I think the key is to turn your TV on/off a couple of times, while we are logging. Something like turn tv off, then on, do some commands (not WOL), wait at least a minute, rinse and repeat. Say 5 cycles. Then turn log flag off and zip log file. The last improvement I'm thinking off is to monitor the arrival of ping messages from the TV, in absence of them , I would declare the connection dead but before I go there, some more logs would be great.

Thanks again,

Dirk

Comment

Yes, I unflagged first before I copied the log file.

I switched the TV on with the physical remote , but I couldn't get the "HS -remote" online, the only way I could get it online was pressing the WOL button , there after all was working normally.
      Attached the log file from the beginning , also where I couldn't get the HS-remote online. After I pressed the WOL button it seems to be working normall , I switched the TV on-off a couple of times and pressed some buttons (mute).

Hope it helps,
      Cor

Attached Files

Comment

Cor, I think I found another issue w remote state. As far as I can tell, my previous fix is working. In this last case, the issue showed itself because the PI was brought on-line before the TV was on-line. This is no problem but there was a bug in the code to support your model of Samsung. Once the TV came on-line it would go into the proper state and the remote was coming up. I noted a couple of attempts to deactivate the device or the remote or WOL, they didn't do anything but when you power cycled the TV the remote came on-line.
        Anyway, try attached, same drill
        I feel good we're close.

Comment

2 short debug files.
          -the first just stopped. I think the debugging stopped , when I powered off the tv with the "power" button of the PI.
          -The second one , is one , where I just tried some mute - source , power and before the device became "offline" switched on again.

What I also do see in the HS log ( the main log of HS) , is , it is full , with MC activity , it doesn't stop , every second MC- entries. Is that normall?

Thanks,
          Cor
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
            2 short debug files.
            -the first just stopped. I think the debugging stopped , when I powered off the tv with the "power" button of the PI.
            -The second one , is one , where I just tried some mute - source , power and before the device became "offline" switched on again.

What I also do see in the HS log ( the main log of HS) , is , it is full , with MC activity , it doesn't stop , every second MC- entries. Is that normall?

Thanks,
            Cor
            I’m on the road till later. Is everything now working?
            Edit: home now. Log looks OK. There are 5 sec pings but if you set debug to normal level (errors only) your log wouldn't fill up. Interestingly enough, if you use the power-off button, the remote function stays alive and you can use the power on function to bring TV back up. Never seen that before. I wonder that after xx minutes of "power off", the TV completely shuts down.

Comment

All seems to be working normally , the tv is running now a couple of hours , and I can still controll it.
              You said a couple of times , not to turn on the TV with the WOL , but that is the only way I can turn on the TV via the PI.

The only thing which worries me is the amont of data in the HS-log. Every second there is a ton of data in the log from the PI. Is this normall? , doesn't this have negative consequences for the performance of HS?
              Also there is a lot of wierd characters in the log , for example:
              6/14/2020 11:47:32 AM Legacy-Plugin MC SendSSLSocket called with Data = ?? ?X?X#?5j,?7kz?zb+?*j5?,jv?7a,?7cz?z9?9b+?btz?5kz?zL4?;dz?x-?,f7?z5z?9c+?z#x?v(?i
              ?5`,?z5z?=a<?=b7?=D=?z#x?n,?i?<-b?J?Z?zr
              or
              6/14/2020 11:47:26 AM Legacy-Plugin MC ReceiveCallbackSSLSocket received data = �
              *Edit*: I see the "wierd" characters are somehow converted.

I will send the log-file via PM since I don't know if there is any info in that data which can be abused by other people.

thanks,
              Cor

Comment

All seems to be working normally , the tv is running now a couple of hours , and I can still controll it.
                You said a couple of times , not to turn on the TV with the WOL , but that is the only way I can turn on the TV via the PI.

The only thing which worries me is the amont of data in the HS-log. Every second there is a ton of data in the log from the PI. Is this normall? , doesn't this have negative consequences for the performance of HS?
                Also there is a lot of wierd characters in the log , for example:

or

*Edit*: I see the "wierd" characters are somehow converted.

I will send the log-file via PM since I don't know if there is any info in that data which can be abused by other people.

thanks,
                Cor
                You should use WOL, no issue with that at all. In previous logs I see WOL being clicked while the TV is on, or at last, while the remote is on. WOL didn't help with the logging I was looking for, that what I meant, you should definitely use it.

When you set the PI debug level to "errors only", do you still see the log entries? You shouldn't unless I forgot about some test changes I may have made to capture the right info.

Unless you run into some issue, I'll publish a new version (in the beta section) in the updater.

Comment

dcorsus : Ah... I see, I thought the "flag to log" was like the on-off switch to log or not .... With "errors only"it looks much better.
                  The plugin looks to behave now the whole day.... well done!

How do I proceed with the beta PI when it is uploaded? , do I first install the manuel installed versions from the last couple of days?

Thanks,
                  Cor

Comment

How do I proceed with the beta PI when it is uploaded? , do I first install the manuel installed versions from the last couple of days?
                    Nothing special, just go the installer, click the PI and start the download. Nothing special needed.
                    Edit: version 63 just uploaded and can be installed from the beta section of the installer

Comment

Done!

Thank you very much for your help and time,
                      Cor

Comment

+1 Thank you so much for your work!

Also, FWIW, the WOL & Power buttons seem to work consistently for my Samsung model as well. Some of the other buttons too, although I didn't try them all. All I really needed was a method to turn it on and off consistently through HS3.

If only Samsung would have continued to support SmartThings for their TVs. That was the reason I originally bought this model. Oops...

Comment

Working...
                        X