No announcement yet.

DLNA to "send" a movie to my tv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I take my DVD's and rip them then convert to avi using leawo video converter. I place them in my Video directory and then WMP finds them. But I dont use WMP to serve them, I right click on them and just do a "play to" the tv

Comment

Originally posted by unixdood View Post
      I take my DVD's and rip them then convert to avi using leawo video converter. I place them in my Video directory and then WMP finds them. But I dont use WMP to serve them, I right click on them and just do a "play to" the tv
      Thanks for the info. Any reason why you pick AVI format over MP4? Isn't your DVD turning into some humongous large AVI file? Reason I ask is because I've been thinking about adding my video collection to my server as well.

Pretty sure when you right click "play to" it is actually WMP being the server and control point. Easy way to check it is to disable the functions in WMP (version 11 and higher) and see if the option is still there. Pretty sure it isn't but could be wrong and actually not that important

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

Ive been ripping my movies for several years now (since 2001ish) and avi was the best method back then. Yes the AVI is a larger format but I also use the avi's on my tablet and have had issues with mp4's playing on that.

Comment

Update: I rebuilt my whole server and all i have is my cm17 controller and the dlna controller. Everything looks the SAME as before but now it all works? Right from WMP. Some other PI is interfering with your PI but I dont know which one?

Comment

Update: I rebuilt my whole server and all i have is my cm17 controller and the dlna controller. Everything looks the SAME as before but now it all works? Right from WMP. Some other PI is interfering with your PI but I dont know which one?

..... the plot thickens ......

Close to Halloween, I can hear the twilight tune in the distance

Comment

Here is my wireshard capture file. Remove the .doc and its a regular pcap file. Let me know if this helps. The tv is .199 and the server is .200
              Ok looking at the wireshark capture:

two times the instruction to play Avatar fails because the request is to large ...... URRGHH

HTTP/1.1 413 Request Entity Too Large
              Connection: close
              Content-Length: 0
              Server: DMRND/0.5

So this is most likely that the metadata portion is too large, would be interesting to see now that things work what the wireshark capture for playing Avatar would look like now (or just the debug log should be sufficient) or the same wireshark capture when you do a "play to".

I can find another instruction to play the "Blind Side", but that one fails because the resource is not found (??)

Anyhow, interesting info, need to noodle on that, it might mean that I have to change the meta data and trim it ... really not looking forward to that.

Dirk

Comment

next update, Doesnt work again. Nothing changed at all, just doesnt work now.

Comment

next update, Doesnt work again. Nothing changed at all, just doesnt work now.
                  I'm actually not surprised, just can't explain why it briefly worked. I began testing my WMP server against an LG media player device (39$ ) and had an even worse affect in that the LG device would hang and require a reboot each time. So I coded up last night a version that removes all the junk that WMP server adds to the metadata that cannot be dealt with by the player. It stopped the LG player from hanging but the streaming for whatever reason still doesn't work so I was still debugging that.

I can email you a DLL with the changes to try out. I sent you an email via HS with my private email address if you like.

Dirk

Comment

Whatever you have to try to fix this, as I said, I will beta test any fixes or new stuff you have. I will send you my personal email address

Comment

The new .dll fixed the issues I was having. You may have taken too much OUT of the library because some of the videos which did play, dont now but most of them are fine and send RIGHT to the tv now. Works great. Thanks Dirk!

Comment

The new .dll fixed the issues I was having. You may have taken too much OUT of the library because some of the videos which did play, dont now but most of them are fine and send RIGHT to the tv now. Works great. Thanks Dirk!
                        Ah, good to know, I'll email you a version that has the "optimization" removed.

Thanks for helping debugging this.

Dirk

Comment

So the dlna device is setup, it finds my tv and there is a button on the top of the screen on the HS page. When I click on the button I get an error web page can not be found.
                          Found the reason. Seems to be a problem with IE and not Firefox and related to having "-" (or other non regular characters) in the device name.
                          Fixed in next beta but for time being rename devices and remove special characters or use Firefox.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                          X