MediaController plugin beta testing Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
    Luck must have it that I bought a Bravia Sony TV yesterday and after seeing your posting this morning, checked the function. Previously I had it tested only against my Sony AV Receiver. There was a bug in the PI and a new version .27 has been sent to the HS team to post in the updater.

In the mean time, read up on the help file on how to authenticate your device (once you have v.27). The help file can be found under Tools->Help->MediaController and there are step by step instructions how to authenticate and create remote buttons.

Dirk
    Thanks for sorting this guys. I'd given up trying to get my KD-65X8507C working but its working great now.

Do you know if there a remote button that will always switch the TV on and not just act as a power toggle ?

I have the following buttons and they act as follows :

Power - acts as a toggle
    TvPower - acts as a toggle
    PowerOff - always powers off (the opposite of this basically)

I guess its down to the Bravia?

Comment

Originally posted by reggs11 View Post
      Thanks for sorting this guys. I'd given up trying to get my KD-65X8507C working but its working great now.

Do you know if there a remote button that will always switch the TV on and not just act as a power toggle ?

I have the following buttons and they act as follows :

Power - acts as a toggle
      TvPower - acts as a toggle
      PowerOff - always powers off (the opposite of this basically)

I guess its down to the Bravia?
      I found a WakeUp button for mine which just seems to do that, but I have the impression it might differ between models.
      Dirk

Comment

These are user editable fields, no? So you can name them anyway you want. I seem to recall there is also a "hide" option so they wont even show.

Dirk
        Hi Dirk,

Yeah, they are editable but I was just suggesting for new users that it's easier to have you change the default names in the PI for the created devices than go through the 75 devices like I just did to rename them all. That said, the "Type: MediaController" is something that only you can do at the programming level for the PI. It would be a great option as it essentially would select all of the devices that are MediaControlller related in one click for easy filtering. Right now I have the default Floor called "Media Controller" as you have set up but I will change that to the TV locations so it's a little more cumbersome on the end user to filter and find the appropriate MediaController devices.

Thanks for the consideration!

-Travis

Comment

I found a WakeUp button for mine which just seems to do that, but I have the impression it might differ between models.
          Dirk
          Perfect. Works a treat

Comment

Bravia (KD-65X8507C) not properly registered

Hi Dirk - Slight problem. I registered my Bravia (KD-65X8507C) as noted in the posts just above, but when its been in standby for any length of time, the TV doesn't appear to be activated any longer although all of the remote buttons are still listed on the devices page.

Also, in the Plug-ins drop down menu, the Bravia doesn't ever show up as one of the configurable devices, but my BD Player and Onkyo are listed and work fine.

I've tried deleting the two Bravia devices that get created, one is the Player and one is the Remote but they are rediscovered pretty quickly and I still have the same issues. I don't get a re-promt for authorisation on the Bravia but when I delete the Bravia and it gets rediscovered, I'm able to control it as normal until its switched to standby for a while.

I guess it hasn't registered properly as when I first connected it about 8 months ago, I wasn't able to control it at all so disabled the plug-in for a while. I'm now on the latest software and plugin versions.

Any thoughts on getting it to authorise properly?

Comment

Originally posted by reggs11 View Post
              Hi Dirk - Slight problem. I registered my Bravia (KD-65X8507C) as noted in the posts just above, but when its been in standby for any length of time, the TV doesn't appear to be activated any longer although all of the remote buttons are still listed on the devices page.

Also, in the Plug-ins drop down menu, the Bravia doesn't ever show up as one of the configurable devices, but my BD Player and Onkyo are listed and work fine.

I've tried deleting the two Bravia devices that get created, one is the Player and one is the Remote but they are rediscovered pretty quickly and I still have the same issues. I don't get a re-promt for authorisation on the Bravia but when I delete the Bravia and it gets rediscovered, I'm able to control it as normal until its switched to standby for a while.

I guess it hasn't registered properly as when I first connected it about 8 months ago, I wasn't able to control it at all so disabled the plug-in for a while. I'm now on the latest software and plugin versions.

Any thoughts on getting it to authorise properly?
              Could you paste some screen shots so we are sure we use the same nomenclature.

When you say: it isn't active anymore, what do you mean? The status is in-active, unregistered, active but the remote buttons are not doing anything?

How long is a "length of time"? Are we talking hours, days, weeks?

The authentication works with a cookie that has an expiration date. The PI actually check on the expiration date and should automatically (behind the scenes) renew, but maybe that is not working.

Where exactly are you referring to when you write: "Also, in the Plug-ins drop down menu, the Bravia doesn't ever show up as one of the configurable devices, but my BD Player and Onkyo are listed and work fine". I assume this is the submenu under MediaController. If the player isn't there that means it was deleted manually or couldn't be discovered when you started the PI.

Best thing to do is to provide TRACES!! Check for errors in the error log. As soon as the problem starts, turn on debug flag, hit a couple of buttons, take log and post.

Dirk

Comment

Hi Dirk - Okay so I figured it wasn't being discovered properly so I deleted both devices again, rebooted the HS3 box and this now appears to have resolved itself.

When you say: it isn't active anymore, what do you mean? The status is in-active, unregistered, active but the remote buttons are not doing anything?
                The remote buttons weren't doing anything and it said Deactivated after the Bravia was put on Standby overnight.

How long is a "length of time"? Are we talking hours, days, weeks?
                Just a few hours (overnight) but I'll monitor it now to see if this happens again.

Where exactly are you referring to when you write: "Also, in the Plug-ins drop down menu, the Bravia doesn't ever show up as one of the configurable devices, but my BD Player and Onkyo are listed and work fine". I assume this is the submenu under MediaController. If the player isn't there that means it was deleted manually or couldn't be discovered
                when you started the PI.
                Yes, I was referring to the submenu but after my last reboot (and I've performed several over the past few weeks) the KD-65X8507C has now shown up within the submenu !

Anyway I'll monitor it for the next few days and see if this happens again. Thanks for the speedy reply.

Comment

I have been trying to get this plugin working with my setup and have had no luck so far, I've read though the documentation as well as this thread and haven't really found anyone with the same issue i have so hopefully i'm just overlooking something.
                  After i installed it i instantly saw my two devices(plex server and fireTV running as the client) was able to add both of them, and the both show up as activated/online on the main page, however there is no configure button that i see in the documentation. How do I get this button?
                  I see traffic between the two devices in the logs but its like the plugin hasn't fully configured. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for all the work put into this plug in i'm looking forward to utilizing it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by thematthewknot View Post
                    I have been trying to get this plugin working with my setup and have had no luck so far, I've read though the documentation as well as this thread and haven't really found anyone with the same issue i have so hopefully i'm just overlooking something.
                    After i installed it i instantly saw my two devices(plex server and fireTV running as the client) was able to add both of them, and the both show up as activated/online on the main page, however there is no configure button that i see in the documentation. How do I get this button?
                    I see traffic between the two devices in the logs but its like the plugin hasn't fully configured. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for all the work put into this plug in i'm looking forward to utilizing it.
                    Unfortunately, there is really nothing this PI can do for (what I assume) an Amazon FireTV. The latter just uses DLNA to have other devices discover it and the they pretty much talk peer-2-peer thereafter via proprietary protocols.

At one point, I was hoping that the multiscreen DLNA extensions would lead to more standardized behavior that the is PI could add but it pretty much is only used for device discovery.

It has been a while, I'll check my own fire TV again, see if in the last year anything else was added that might be of use. Wouldn't hold my breath; app-2-app protocols seem to be the dominant strategy nowadays with all smart devices (TVs, Streaming boxes, Phones) supporting loadable apps that can be communicated with from another device.

Dirk

Comment

I am looking at buying a new TV and am wondering what the best method to determine compatibility. I plan to purchase two TVs of the same model and need to control them independently, and would also need to turn them on/off. Any suggestions on best way to help with product selection?

Comment

Originally posted by dhogan View Post
                        I am looking at buying a new TV and am wondering what the best method to determine compatibility. I plan to purchase two TVs of the same model and need to control them independently, and would also need to turn them on/off. Any suggestions on best way to help with product selection?
                        Which brand of TV did you have in mind? Samsung would be a no-go for turning on with this PI. I have (had) a Sony XBR-55X900C and I think that one could be turned on and off and provided some remote controls.

Don't take my word for it! Verify before you buy, models changes rapidly and what features are supported on exactly which versions under which SW release can vary widely.

Dirk

Comment

Which brand of TV did you have in mind? Samsung would be a no-go for turning on with this PI. I have (had) a Sony XBR-55X900C and I think that one could be turned on and off and provided some remote controls.

Don't take my word for it! Verify before you buy, models changes rapidly and what features are supported on exactly which versions under which SW release can vary widely.

Dirk
                          I usually buy Samsung, but I've ready a lot of problems with no on/off control. I was looking at either Sony or LG, but their documentation doesn't get to this level of detail so I was hoping someone could give me some recommendations to avoid wasting time.

I will buy one and test it, and if it doesn't work return it, so that won't be an issue, but again was wondering if anyone had any good starting points.

Comment

Originally posted by dhogan View Post
                            I usually buy Samsung, but I've ready a lot of problems with no on/off control. I was looking at either Sony or LG, but their documentation doesn't get to this level of detail so I was hoping someone could give me some recommendations to avoid wasting time.

I will buy one and test it, and if it doesn't work return it, so that won't be an issue, but again was wondering if anyone had any good starting points.
                            I can assure you that this PI will NOT work for power ON on a Samsung. It MIGHT work for Sony, never tried any LGs.

Dirk

Comment

I'm in pretty much the same shape as thematthewknot. I add devices but I don't get config buttons and don't get multiple instances.

I've got an LG SmartShare DLNA server (that I use with my LG TV as its player) and a plex server running on my HS3 Windows 10 box running latest HS3 3.0.0.297 and latest 3.0.0.27 MediaController. I've got three Roku.

The Roku allow me to use the remote. Channel remote buttons work. An event setting a channel button works. Left/right etc buttons consistently press twice, making them unusable.

No State device for the Roku, just a remote device and a device device. The Roku are identified as Remote, MultiScreen in MediaController's config table. No players are listed when I try to configure a Play Item event action. I do see my LG and plex servers listed.

Given the great help you've given to others in this thread, I have a lot of hope this will work for me. Before I send screenshots, should I uninstall and reinstall the plugin? Do I need to be at my Roku when I add it to acknowledge a popup? So should I deactivate, and then activate when I can respond at the Roku?

I'll send all the info you need, I just wanted to hold back on debug logs and screen shots until I read your guidance.

Thanks for making a very promising and complicated to support plugin, Dirk.

Comment

Originally posted by sleeve View Post
                                I'm in pretty much the same shape as thematthewknot. I add devices but I don't get config buttons and don't get multiple instances.

I've got an LG SmartShare DLNA server (that I use with my LG TV as its player) and a plex server running on my HS3 Windows 10 box running latest HS3 3.0.0.297 and latest 3.0.0.27 MediaController. I've got three Roku.

The Roku allow me to use the remote. Channel remote buttons work. An event setting a channel button works. Left/right etc buttons consistently press twice, making them unusable.

No State device for the Roku, just a remote device and a device device. The Roku are identified as Remote, MultiScreen in MediaController's config table. No players are listed when I try to configure a Play Item event action. I do see my LG and plex servers listed.

Given the great help you've given to others in this thread, I have a lot of hope this will work for me. Before I send screenshots, should I uninstall and reinstall the plugin? Do I need to be at my Roku when I add it to acknowledge a popup? So should I deactivate, and then activate when I can respond at the Roku?

I'll send all the info you need, I just wanted to hold back on debug logs and screen shots until I read your guidance.

Thanks for making a very promising and complicated to support plugin, Dirk.
                                Hi Sleeve,

there are a lot of things listed, maybe we need to tackle them one at a time and I'm afraid you are going to have to add screenshots AND logs

Most likely it is confusing where the PI has proprietary extensions that have nothing to do with DLNA but they should all be described in the on-line help file (tools->help->mediacontroller). In a nutshell, the ROKU devices have almost nothing to do with DLNA/UPNP, I had one and I wrote very dedicated code for it. Hence you will only see the remote functions because there is nothing else available through that interface (unless you write an app that resides on the Roku and communicate with that app).

So what else was it that you were looking for on the Roku device?

You write that you do not see config buttons or multiple instances, I think here you are going to have to be more specific. I assume you already clicked on adding the device (WHEN ON-LINE) first. Now depending on whether the device is allowed to be controlled external and/or whether it is a player or server or both, different sets of HS devices will be created. If a server, pretty much nothing is created in HS because there is nothing to control. So perhaps break it all up in paragraphs and lets tackle your issues one at a time, starting with your highest priority. Please provide info, you may not like the effort to take all the screenshots and logs but I don't like typing in lengthy responses asking for it either

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                                X