Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MediaController plugin beta testing Forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Using the roku stick, I'm able to control it so far. Mainly using it with Plex but that doesn't really work with this either

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by kideon View Post
      Using the roku stick, I'm able to control it so far. Mainly using it with Plex but that doesn't really work with this either
      Ok, this confirms there is something wrong w/ my Stick. I had mine on pre-order and got one of the firsts and suspect some files are missing. Will have to give them a call.

      Wrt Plex, I noted the same that the PLEX app does use DLNA to discover and play but isn't controllable itself by DLNA. I suspect to keep a small (memory) footprint, they may have removed those functions. Did you find a way to control PLEX on Roku from some other app, a plex provided app perhaps or smartphone app?

      What I see more and more, is that applications now talk directly to each other and not through standard protocols. Example DIAL allows the app on your phone or tablet to discover the (let's say Netflix) app on your Roku (or ChromeCast stick) and the only thing that Roku does is provide you with a direct pipe between your app on your smartphone and the app on the Roku (or TV, or Chromecast or ...) and now the 2 apps talk to each other directly and good luck to us HA geeks to turn that into something generic enough such as a PI. Sure if you snoop the connection, you could figure out the protocol and write a dedicated PI for it .... until the vendor changes the protocol again as they now control both sides of the pipe whereas DLNA is trying to do this in a standard way.

      Dirk

      Comment


        #63
        yeah the iOS plex app is able to control the roku. I haven't tried others like Roomie but maybe it's worth reaching out to the Plex team for advice. Would be sweet to be able to do that, even something as simple as light control based on video playing vs not.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by kideon View Post
          but maybe it's worth reaching out to the Plex team for advice
          well I can wish myself good luck with that

          What is it that you want to do? Can you be very specific, maybe I can do it in another way. I believe I could poll whether a specific app is running or not, not sure whether I could then know whether the app itself is doing anything (think Plex app is running but not necessarily playing anything).

          Dirk

          Comment


            #65
            Lol I wish the best luck to you also!

            Right now I want to be able to set a scene if a video is playing past a certain time of the day and then set a scene if the video stops based on a certain time of the day. Essentially I have a dusk scene, a movie scene, and a midnight scene for lights. If a video is playing during the day then nothing should happen, if it is playing after dusk but before midnight switch to the movie scene and then back to dusk on stop if it is before midnight. If it is midnight or later switch on the midnight scene when it stops. I'm using a combination of Hue and Insteon lights run through Homeseer plugins.

            Comment


              #66
              I did some googling and the API has a way to query what is playing:

              https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...documentation/

              Definitely looks like remote control is pretty easy

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by kideon View Post
                Definitely looks like remote control is pretty easy
                Would agree ... perfect for writing your own PI or script

                Thanks for the info, I'll try to find some time to play with my Roku Stick some more. After I changed some IPv6 setting on my wireless AP, the wireless DLNA devices around my office now seem to all work properly, including the Stick .... bizarre

                Dirk

                Comment


                  #68
                  Yeah I want to get into some more script development, that'll be this winter when things at work slow down. Used to code back in the day and can still read it but have been doing project management for so long my mind got structured a little differently these days..more business focused.. I can still read code though and am able to patch things together. Patience just isn't there to write things. Resource mgmt and logistics are more my thing now.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by kideon View Post
                    Yeah I want to get into some more script development, that'll be this winter when things at work slow down. Used to code back in the day and can still read it but have been doing project management for so long my mind got structured a little differently these days..more business focused.. I can still read code though and am able to patch things together. Patience just isn't there to write things. Resource mgmt and logistics are more my thing now.
                    Suggest we take the Plex discussion to its own thread here http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...55#post1131155

                    Dirk

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Thanks for making this PI!

                      my initial test shows some issues with LG TV's, and every time the TV is turned on this pops up in the errorlog:

                      03.08.2014 21:04:27 ~!~MC Error~!~Error in RenderingControlStateChange for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM processing XML with error = Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is not valid.Startup Complete, 1 errors detected, check the log for more information.

                      aug-03 21:04:27 MC InitIO Called for Instance = ********-****-****-****-********** and running on OS = Win32NT
                      aug-03 21:04:27
                      MC CreateUPnPControllers created an instance of UPnPDeviceController for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM
                      aug-03 21:04:27 MC AvTransportCallback added for device = [TV]47LM

                      let me know if you need some more info or troubleshooting.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Toby View Post
                        Thanks for making this PI!

                        my initial test shows some issues with LG TV's, and every time the TV is turned on this pops up in the errorlog:

                        03.08.2014 21:04:27 ~!~MC Error~!~Error in RenderingControlStateChange for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM processing XML with error = Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is not valid.Startup Complete, 1 errors detected, check the log for more information.

                        aug-03 21:04:27 MC InitIO Called for Instance = ********-****-****-****-********** and running on OS = Win32NT
                        aug-03 21:04:27
                        MC CreateUPnPControllers created an instance of UPnPDeviceController for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM
                        aug-03 21:04:27 MC AvTransportCallback added for device = [TV]47LM

                        let me know if you need some more info or troubleshooting.
                        can you turn the debug flag on (not superdebug) and then turn on your TV and send the log. I suspect that your TV sends a status update with blanks rather 0/1 or True/false for some boolean value. I thought I had fix/protected against most of these but I may have overlooked some. I trust you are on the latest version from the updater.

                        Thanks

                        Dirk

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by Toby View Post
                          Thanks for making this PI!

                          my initial test shows some issues with LG TV's, and every time the TV is turned on this pops up in the errorlog:

                          03.08.2014 21:04:27 ~!~MC Error~!~Error in RenderingControlStateChange for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM processing XML with error = Conversion from string "" to type 'Boolean' is not valid.Startup Complete, 1 errors detected, check the log for more information.

                          aug-03 21:04:27 MC InitIO Called for Instance = ********-****-****-****-********** and running on OS = Win32NT
                          aug-03 21:04:27
                          MC CreateUPnPControllers created an instance of UPnPDeviceController for UPnPDevice = [TV]47LM
                          aug-03 21:04:27 MC AvTransportCallback added for device = [TV]47LM

                          let me know if you need some more info or troubleshooting.
                          Hi Toby,

                          received your email. At first glance, the parameter Loudness (being a boolean) is an empty string and is probably the culprit. I'll have a look at the code tonight and add some protective code, the result will be identical, just no error.

                          Dirk

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Thanks
                            Last edited by jetkit; August 18, 2014, 12:40 PM.

                            Comment


                              #74
                              All my devices show "Activated offline"
                              But they are on.
                              What could be causing that?

                              Comment


                                #75
                                A reboot and open ports in my server fixed all.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X