Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intercept remote commands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intercept remote commands

    Is there any way to get the remote commands into HS3?

    Someone presses "pause" on the remote I want HS to run an event. Or any other button I can think of for that matter.

    Is this possible with the current plugin?

  • #2
    No, unfortunately Roku does not supply that in their ECP api. I wish I could but there is just no way. If you use plex you can capture it via a plex plugin and I've investigated Netflix and Hulu ones with out much success. Those would just be Band-Aids though.

    Ive requested more to the API from Roku, but they don't really seem to care to provide it. The ECP is meant for controlling, not monitorimg a roku. I use the ECP to monitor by polling it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Frank

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      No, unfortunately Roku does not supply that in their ECP api. I wish I could but there is just no way. If you use plex you can capture it via a plex plugin and I've investigated Netflix and Hulu ones with out much success. Those would just be Band-Aids though.

      Ive requested more to the API from Roku, but they don't really seem to care to provide it. The ECP is meant for controlling, not monitorimg a roku. I use the ECP to monitor by polling it.

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      What about HS receiving IR commands? If an IR receiver was connected to the HS server and was next to the Roku or Harmony Hub both devices would receive the same command. Any plugin currently available to RECEIVE IR commands to HS?

      Comment


      • #4
        Maybe I'm crazy...

        Looks like there is or used to be a Global Cache plugin for receiving IR commands and setting up events.

        I'm betting I could hack together something with a Flirc or other PC IR Receiver and EventGhost to feed the IR commands into HS.

        Comment


        • #5
          That could be but newer rokus use wifi-direct for their remotes and not ir.

          The harmony hub even uses the ECP to control it.

          Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
          Thanks,
          Frank

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
            That could be but newer rokus use wifi-direct for their remotes and not ir.

            The harmony hub even uses the ECP to control it.

            Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
            I just checked the specs for the current Roku Ultra:

            Player includes IR receiver, compatible with various universal remotes
            https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

            Based on the Specs from the roku website the box still has an IR receiver so any IR remote will work.

            Thoughts.... ramblings.... Setup an IR receiver to a pc whether windows or a rpi and using either a "Universal" remote to control the roku and sending the same IR to the pc sending events to HS or use the Harmony with the roku setup and see if I can use the Harmony IR blaster to then send the same signal to the HS IR receiver.

            Now... I just need a Roku box. I have an old old one, I could probably setup it does HD I think....maybe...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
              I just checked the specs for the current Roku Ultra:



              https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

              Based on the Specs from the roku website the box still has an IR receiver so any IR remote will work.

              Thoughts.... ramblings.... Setup an IR receiver to a pc whether windows or a rpi and using either a "Universal" remote to control the roku and sending the same IR to the pc sending events to HS or use the Harmony with the roku setup and see if I can use the Harmony IR blaster to then send the same signal to the HS IR receiver.

              Now... I just need a Roku box. I have an old old one, I could probably setup it does HD I think....maybe...
              Yeah, I didn't think of that. I preferred it when the Harmony used IR over the ECP for controlling the roku. I didn't need to worry about my wireless going down for the harmony to control my roku (since the harmony only has wireless).

              That could definitely work. I wish there was a way to capture it through the ECP or some other API on the roku.

              Things I've also requested they add:

              When a video is playing in any app/channel
              When a video is paused in any app/channel

              The roku should be able to determine the 2 above and it would greatly increase the amount of automation we could do.
              Thanks,
              Frank

              Comment


              • #8
                I was just thinking, and this is purely hypothetical:

                If you could find a way to monitor the bandwidth that the roku is using, you might be able to determine play pause that way, but I'm not sure how buffering might affect that, but it's a thought.

                I'm not even sure if that's possible in a way to bring it into HS, but I do think about it from time to time as I would love to know when I pause a BR on the Xbox1 or PS3.
                Thanks,
                Frank

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was toying around and added my computer to my Harmony Hub to see what I could do.

                  The Harmony Hub can only be connected to 1 BT device at a time so either Fire TV or PC... and even when just the PC the commands aren't seen by EventGhost.

                  Back to looking into IR solutions (where my interest in Roku came from).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                    I was toying around and added my computer to my Harmony Hub to see what I could do.

                    The Harmony Hub can only be connected to 1 BT device at a time so either Fire TV or PC... and even when just the PC the commands aren't seen by EventGhost.

                    Back to looking into IR solutions (where my interest in Roku came from).
                    You can use an IR sensor in windows and just select the Microsoft remote. I used to do this on the harmony. If you're going to use the Harmony though, the trick will be getting it to let you add the Roku as IR instead of Wifi.

                    Let me know how it goes.
                    Thanks,
                    Frank

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                      Maybe I'm crazy...

                      Looks like there is or used to be a Global Cache plugin for receiving IR commands and setting up events.

                      I'm betting I could hack together something with a Flirc or other PC IR Receiver and EventGhost to feed the IR commands into HS.
                      The GC plug-ins are in the beta section.
                      Randy Prade
                      Aurora, CO
                      Prades.net

                      PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rprade View Post
                        The GC plug-ins are in the beta section.
                        I saw the plugins, but it doesn't specify anything about using GC as a receiver only as a transmitter. I see GC has sensor support but again no docs or info even on the GC website on types of sensors or anything. Also the plugins say they are for the GC100 what about the newer iTACH and iTACH Flex?

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X