A little help with sending text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help with sending text

I understood that text could be displayed on the roku, but perhaps I misunderstood the release notes.

Using the example below I get a return of false.

PHP Code:
    Sub Main(parm as object)

dim success as Boolean hs.PluginFunction("MeiKu","","SendStringToRokuDevice",{1347,"[play]"})

hs.WriteLog("MeiKu Test",success)
    End Sub 
    The reference number of my Roku root is 1347. Is this just another way of controlling the device or can text actually be displayed?

Thanks
    Don

The release notes mention that you can't display text on a Roku.
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/me...67#post1060467

I had looked into this Plug-In because it would be great to have text info/reminders/alerts pop up on the screen.

Comment

Missed that. Thanks for pointing that out. Would've been cool...
      Don

Comment

I know, right? Send a message across the screen with notifications, appointment reminders, CID (although not too many people use our landline anymore)

Comment

I've requested this feature to Roku, but they have no interest in doing this (or at least not shown any interest). I was surprised they recently added the ability to check play state regardless of the channel, so you never know what the future holds.
          MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
            I understood that text could be displayed on the roku, but perhaps I misunderstood the release notes.

Using the example below I get a return of false.

PHP Code:
            Sub Main(parm as object)
            dim success as Boolean hs.PluginFunction("MeiKu","","SendStringToRokuDevice",{1347,"[play]"})
            hs.WriteLog("MeiKu Test",success)
            End Sub 
            The reference number of my Roku root is 1347. Is this just another way of controlling the device or can text actually be displayed?

Thanks
            What you can do is send text like if you are on a search screen or text input. It also allows specific commands for navigating channels and such.

My original intent was to allow someone to use voice commands to search (which you can do if you have a custom skill for Alexa).
            MeiAutomtion Home

Comment

Working...
            X