Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Sonos systems on one Homeseer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Multiple Sonos systems on one Homeseer

    Ok, what are my options if I need to run multiple Sonos systems (separate Sonosnets) but want the plugin to see all the players (understand that I can't cross link between networks and such). Ideally I'd like to run one instance on HS then configure each Sonosnet on a separate iP network (e.g. 10.1.0.x is primary, 10.1.1.x is sonos network 2, etc). Is there any plumbing to do this? If not, can I run the plugin remotely on say a Pi or similar box?

    My reason is that with stereo pairs, subs, etc the main house is at 31 devices. I moved a boost and 2 S5's for the shop onto their own vlan so I wasn't over the 32 limit, but now I can't control those 2 S5's. Moving forward I'd like to do something similar with my guest house (also so people in the guest house cant blast folks in the main house by accident)

    Best
    Bill

  • #2
    Originally posted by bsobel View Post
    Ok, what are my options if I need to run multiple Sonos systems (separate Sonosnets) but want the plugin to see all the players (understand that I can't cross link between networks and such). Ideally I'd like to run one instance on HS then configure each Sonosnet on a separate iP network (e.g. 10.1.0.x is primary, 10.1.1.x is sonos network 2, etc). Is there any plumbing to do this? If not, can I run the plugin remotely on say a Pi or similar box?

    My reason is that with stereo pairs, subs, etc the main house is at 31 devices. I moved a boost and 2 S5's for the shop onto their own vlan so I wasn't over the 32 limit, but now I can't control those 2 S5's. Moving forward I'd like to do something similar with my guest house (also so people in the guest house cant blast folks in the main house by accident)

    Best
    Bill
    You can run the PI remotely (Install HS on remote network, use installer to install PI, stop HS, run PI directly with parameter server=ip_address_main_HS).
    What I don't know will work is that you can run multiple instances of this PI, because it is designed to have ONE master/config.

    Comment


    • #3
      Would you be willing to do a version that allows this, happy to pay towards the dev costs (realize this is a pretty isolated use case...)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bsobel View Post
        Would you be willing to do a version that allows this, happy to pay towards the dev costs (realize this is a pretty isolated use case...)
        Try it and see what happens. Suspect that if you run 2 instances on different networks, one instance will think that the players from the other network are not on-line and vice-versa.
        As you say, very isolated case and I really don't have that kind of time to spend.
        Cheers,
        Dirk

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi
          I have the same issue, requset
          I am running a HS3 Pro at my main house (192.168.2.x) with Sonos devices connected to the PI. I also have a summerhouse (192.168.3.x) which is connected to my main house via VPN.
          I have managed to setup a HUE bridge in both locations and control both from HS3 in the main house.

          I would really love to have my Summerhouse Sonos devices connected to the HS3 also, to be able to start them playing when an event is happening.

          Regards
          Jan

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Novac View Post
            Hi
            I have the same issue, requset
            I am running a HS3 Pro at my main house (192.168.2.x) with Sonos devices connected to the PI. I also have a summerhouse (192.168.3.x) which is connected to my main house via VPN.
            I have managed to setup a HUE bridge in both locations and control both from HS3 in the main house.

            I would really love to have my Summerhouse Sonos devices connected to the HS3 also, to be able to start them playing when an event is happening.

            Regards
            Jan
            Dedicate a PC in the summer house
            Install HS3 on it
            Use installer to install Sonos PI (I need the proper subdirectories created)
            Stop hs3 (we only used HS + installer to create proper directories)
            now go to the <hs root> directory and run the HSPI_Sonos.exe manually as follows:
            hspi_sonos.exe server=ip_address_of_your_home_HS_PC instance=summerhouse

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi
              Thanks for sharing.. It is working really well.
              I installed a trial version of HS3Pro on my Win10 PC and installed the Sonos PI
              Then I opened a Command promt and started the Sonos PI as You stated.

              When I got it working on my Win10 PC, I installed mono on my raspberry PI and copied the HomeSeer folder from my Win10 PC to my Raspberry PI in /home/<user>/Homeer_HS3
              Now the Sonos PI is running on my Summerhouse Raspberry PI, which I also use for sensor monitoring.

              Thanks again,

              Regards
              Jan


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Novac View Post
                Hi
                Thanks for sharing.. It is working really well.
                I installed a trial version of HS3Pro on my Win10 PC and installed the Sonos PI
                Then I opened a Command promt and started the Sonos PI as You stated.

                When I got it working on my Win10 PC, I installed mono on my raspberry PI and copied the HomeSeer folder from my Win10 PC to my Raspberry PI in /home/<user>/Homeer_HS3
                Now the Sonos PI is running on my Summerhouse Raspberry PI, which I also use for sensor monitoring.

                Thanks again,

                Regards
                Jan

                There is a minor issue with copying manually between windows and linux. The dll for accessing the sql DB is different and the installer takes care of that. I would have suggested the same: if your target platform was a Pi, install HS on that Pi, use installer to install PI, then stop HS. You could always fire up HS to upgrade the PI.
                Do note that the 2 Sonos networks have no relationships between them, so if you try to create linkgroups between the 2 it won't work.

                Dirk

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hi again.
                  Yes I remember that issue, but now it has been fixed.
                  I copied the HS3 Linux installation to my Rasp.Pi and installed the Sonos PI.

                  All is working again, only issue was the track database which I had to build from the Sonos MASTER. Now errors in the log about track db has gone :-)
                  Only question I have is where are the DB build ? On HS3 controler which is running or in the file structure of the HomeSeer dir on my RASP PI ??

                  Regards
                  Jan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Novac View Post
                    Hi again.
                    Yes I remember that issue, but now it has been fixed.
                    I copied the HS3 Linux installation to my Rasp.Pi and installed the Sonos PI.

                    All is working again, only issue was the track database which I had to build from the Sonos MASTER. Now errors in the log about track db has gone :-)
                    Only question I have is where are the DB build ? On HS3 controler which is running or in the file structure of the HomeSeer dir on my RASP PI ??

                    Regards
                    Jan
                    music DB is local, so on Pi for the local area Sonos system and on your PC for it respective Sonos system. All else (.ini file, art work etc) is only stored on the central (your home PC) system

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X