Speaker muted after TTS announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker muted after TTS announcement

I have been using the Sonos PI, for quite a while for all my TTS announcements. Worked perfectly for a long time. Lately, my Sonos playbar, which is mainly used as a external TV speaker, after a TTS announcement stops, is muted. I manually have to up the volume to hear the TV again. I have tried adding a action in my event which sets it to volume 65. That does not work. I have not changed any of my TTS events from before

I noticed a similar thing when using a SONOS alarm. The playbar volume went all the way down after I stopped the alarm and I had to turn it up manually. Could this be SONOS instead of the PI?

Comment

That is possible. I remember having a Sonos firmware update a while ago. Not sure if that has been the time when that problem started.

Comment

I had this same problem the other day. I also had problems in the past where sonos would randomly go back to playing a station that wasn't playing before the TTS. I was going to play with some events to see if I could fix it. There is some sonos actions that save the current state and restore current state that I don't use now (probley my problem) and figured it might help to fix these issues. I just haven't had time to sit down and test them.

My guess is that in the actions before any TTS I should save the state of all sonos that will do the TTS, make the announcement, then restore the state after. I'm not sure is "STATE" only means playing or paused or volume and such too.

Any other that could chime in and how they do it might be useful here.

Thanks,
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
          I had this same problem the other day. I also had problems in the past where sonos would randomly go back to playing a station that wasn't playing before the TTS. I was going to play with some events to see if I could fix it. There is some sonos actions that save the current state and restore current state that I don't use now (probley my problem) and figured it might help to fix these issues. I just haven't had time to sit down and test them.

My guess is that in the actions before any TTS I should save the state of all sonos that will do the TTS, make the announcement, then restore the state after. I'm not sure is "STATE" only means playing or paused or volume and such too.

Any other that could chime in and how they do it might be useful here.

Thanks,
          Jim
          Hi Jim, saving state etc is what this PI does, perhaps you are not using the functions as they were intended. If unsure, check the help file which can be accessed by clicking on tools->help->sonos.

I do need to ask, if you need my help (for all others on this thread), please add screenshots and traces. On occasion a bug does surface but Sonos seem to be churning out new SW releases at a very rapid pace, whereas a long time ago, it would be once a year or every other year. It has happened in the past that Sonos, by design or by mistake, has minor changes. If you use the PI properly with the "speak" function and you see that the players don't return to their original state, first of all, check your firewall. The PI MUST have all access. Easiest way to spot issues is when player devices are not updated properly when in regular use, which means that the autonomous events are most likely tossed by the firewall. As a consequence, the PI will not know the right state of the player, so after an announcement it will revert to a wrong state.

Errors in the log file (when using the announcement) could be another sign that something is off.

Cheers,

Dirk

Comment

I just tested and can reproduce 100% of the time that my soundbar will not return back to TV.

So watching TV with the sound bar I manually run an TTS event to speak somthing all rooms. The TV is on volume at a normal level, the sound bar speaks the TTS event and I can watch my sonos phone app, all rooms group up, then speak the TTS and then they separate but the sound bar never shows TV or that its playing again. I turn the volume up on the TV and then the sonos app shows TV as the input and the volume comes up as I raise the volume back to normal level.

Comment

This is so typical. I created a test event, to save the state, speak the TTS, then restore the state. I come home to test, only for my wife to tell me all is working as it used to. TTS comes on, finishes and TV is back on normal volume. I did not touch anything, did not even have a chance to try. Well, if it does happen again, I can try integlikewhoa's suggestion with saving the state before TTs and restoring after easily as I already ahve a test event programmed...

Comment

I just tested and can reproduce 100% of the time that my soundbar will not return back to TV.

So watching TV with the sound bar I manually run an TTS event to speak somthing all rooms. The TV is on volume at a normal level, the sound bar speaks the TTS event and I can watch my sonos phone app, all rooms group up, then speak the TTS and then they separate but the sound bar never shows TV or that its playing again. I turn the volume up on the TV and then the sonos app shows TV as the input and the volume comes up as I raise the volume back to normal level.
                Could you post a trace?
                uhh, did I mention screenshots of event, linktable, playertable :-)
                Last edited by dcorsus; September 7, 2018, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                  This is so typical. I created a test event, to save the state, speak the TTS, then restore the state. I come home to test, only for my wife to tell me all is working as it used to. TTS comes on, finishes and TV is back on normal volume. I did not touch anything, did not even have a chance to try. Well, if it does happen again, I can try integlikewhoa's suggestion with saving the state before TTs and restoring after easily as I already ahve a test event programmed...
                  Not sure what you are trying to prove, maybe I misinterpret your intent. The PI uses exactly the same code to use in an speak event or a save/restore action. So either Sonos is reacting differently or the saved states are wrong because they are not being updated anymore.
                  If you do post logs, it is important for me to see which players are involved in your speak action, so post screenshots of events, linkgroup, playertable ....

Comment

Ok, I thought the problems were resolved. It just happened again. Today I probably wont have the time, but tomorrow if it happens again I will post screenshots.

With this test event, I wanted to see if I added these actions to a TTS action, if that gets rid of the need to turn the TV up again after the TTS. I could not test if it would work, as it was all working again on its own.

Comment

I seemed to fix my volume error with trying to run HS3 as Admin during auto startup (using Startup delayer) and rebooting the whole windows server. Firewall was already all off, I did turn on UPnP in the router. I checked logs and found an error. I also Still have one problem. If I'm playing Spotify and then have an announcement I will not return to spotify or if it does its playing a totally different station then before. I have the following errors.

ERROR in PlayURI for zoneplayer = Kitchen Sonos with UPNP Error = Read only tag / Transport is locked / Access denied. URI=x-rincon-queue:RINCON_5CAAFD416DC201400#22 and isObjectID = False, MetaData=object.item.audioItem.audioBroadcasthttps://sca-us.ws.sonos.com/RINCON_5CAAFD416DC201400:564/12/sn_3/v2.0/, Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://192.168.1.123:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml while sending Action = SetAVTransportURI for URI = http://192.168.1.123:1400/MediaRende...nsport/Control and Request = 0 x-rincon-queue:RINCON_5CAAFD416DC201400#22 <DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"><item id="-1" parentID="-1" restricted="true"><upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.audioBro adcast</upnp:class><desc id="cdudn" nameSpace="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/">https://sca-us.ws.sonos.com/RINCON_5CAAFD416DC201400:564/12/sn_3/v2.0/</desc></item></DIDL-Lite> UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 714 with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

If I switch the player to another before the announcement I also get the same error on that player.

RROR in PlayURI for zoneplayer = Nate's Room Sono with UPNP Error = Read only tag / Transport is locked / Access denied. URI=x-rincon-queue:RINCON_5CAAFD4EF9FE01400#2 and isObjectID = False, MetaData=object.item.audioItem.audioBroadcasthttps://sca-us.ws.sonos.com/RINCON_5CAAFD4EF9FE01400:3253/12/sn_3/v2.0/, Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://192.168.1.125:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml while sending Action = SetAVTransportURI for URI = http://192.168.1.125:1400/MediaRende...nsport/Control and Request = 0 x-rincon-queue:RINCON_5CAAFD4EF9FE01400#2 <DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"><item id="-1" parentID="-1" restricted="true"><upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.audioBro adcast</upnp:class><desc id="cdudn" nameSpace="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/">https://sca-us.ws.sonos.com/RINCON_5CAAFD4EF9FE01400:3253/12/sn_3/v2.0/</desc></item></DIDL-Lite> UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 714 with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.

Comment

I seemed to fix my volume error with trying to run HS3 as Admin during auto startup (using Startup delayer) and rebooting the whole windows server. Firewall was already all off, I did turn on UPnP in the router. I checked logs and found an error. I also Still have one problem. If I'm playing Spotify and then have an announcement I will not return to spotify or if it does its playing a totally different station then before. I have the following errors.

If I switch the player to another before the announcement I also get the same error on that player.
                        Not necessarily related to setting volume, but the PI (and therefore HS3) MUST run as an administrator. Unless you have installed HS3 in a non-standard sub-directory (ie NOT under "program files..", if you don't run HS3 as admin, the PI is not allowed to write in the subdirectory therefore, it cannot store radiostation info and you will not be able to play learned radiostations.

Comment

Working...
                        X