New Sonos Amp December 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Sonos Amp December 1

I just received an announcement from Sonos. A replacement for the Connect:Amp is being released in the US and Canada on December 1.

It is now boasts 125 watts per channel and supports up to four speakers. The predecessor was 50W per channel.
    The new AMP has Optical, HDMI, and analog inputs and a subwoofer output. It is about the same size as the Connect:Amp.

This blog post describes it. it is on their products page with a $599 retail price.

Click image for larger version  Name:	amp-top-angle.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.9 KB ID:	1251473

Click image for larger version  Name:	amp-back.jpg Views:	1 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	1251474
    Last edited by randy; October 5, 2018, 07:17 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Unless I'm missing it I only see two speaker connections in your pictures and in the video. Is it really a 4 channel or is 125wx2 and able to handle 4ohm load with two speakers per channel?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
      Unless I'm missing it I only see two speaker connections in your pictures and in the video. Is it really a 4 channel or is 125wx2 and able to handle 4ohm load with two speakers per channel?
      You are correct. I fixed the post. I misread the blog post and should have caught it with only 2 pairs of speaker terminals as you noted.

Comment

I am curious how this will compare to the new Amazon Echo Link Amp? The Link has less power but might have other features that make it better for home automation?

Comment

The bashing on this device has begun. its more like a 2.1 that's advertised as a 4.1 for home theater. Even 4.1 is not a thing. They should have a made a true 5.1 output with this one, but they really are just updating the old 2.1.

Comment

I was just posting for informational purposes.

IMO it is just an upgrade in power to the Connect:Amp, with AirPlay 2 and a couple of additional inputs. It is massively overpriced for a stereo receiver and is still not something that can replace any home theater receiver.

I love the Sonos ecosystem for its function and it works well alongside our home theater receivers, but the stuff is overpriced. It works great for announcements and for whole house sound, it is very easy to operate (high WAF) and it sounds very good for streaming audio content. I would like to replace a couple of our Connect:Amps with the new one for AirPlay and aesthetics - the old white and and aluminum brick of the original sticks out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately $600 is a nonstarter for me.

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
              The bashing on this device has begun. its more like a 2.1 that's advertised as a 4.1 for home theater. Even 4.1 is not a thing. They should have a made a true 5.1 output with this one, but they really are just updating the old 2.1.
              It's not really meant for home theatre though. If you want 5.1, get a Sonos 5.1 surround sound kit and this will be useless.

Comment

Originally posted by kenmt View Post

It's not really meant for home theatre though. If you want 5.1, get a Sonos 5.1 surround sound kit and this will be useless.
                That's not how they are advertising it and it has HDMI port on it for input which in most cases would mean home theater input.

Comment

Working...
                X