Plugin unable to discover devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin unable to discover devices

I've checked everything twice and can't get this to discover my 4 Sonos players.
    I'm running Homeseer standard S6 server on Windows 7 embedded.
    Sonos.exe is set to run as Administrator
    FIrewall is set to allow Sonos thru
    UPNP is enabled.

LOG file attached, have I missed something, ???

Attached Files
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
    | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
    I've checked everything twice and can't get this to discover my 4 Sonos players.
    I'm running Homeseer standard S6 server on Windows 7 embedded.
    Sonos.exe is set to run as Administrator
    FIrewall is set to allow Sonos thru
    UPNP is enabled.

LOG file attached, have I missed something, ???
    I believe you are running the v3.1.0.x version of the PI so you don't need UPNP. I'm missing the line with the IP address the PI is using. This is something it gets from HS. How is the network in HS setup set (Tools->Setup->Labs (bind server to IP)?
    You can also set UPNP logging to verbose in the PI and see/capture if anything is being received.

Dirk

Comment

I hate to steal the thread but I am having a similar problem and I can't figure this out for a couple of weeks. I have been using the Sonos PI for some time with no issues until recently (ver 3.1.0.26). The players show up as ? and I cannot connect to them through HS3.

A little about my Win 10 hardware that I believe is the problem I am having but I don't have the smarts to figure this out without a little help. In my HS machine I have two NIC's, one is ethernet network and the other is wifi adaptor. The system started out as ethernet with Z-NET until I started adding a Wifi home Sonos system and Lifx lighting and PI's.

Both used-too play well together as long as I don't give my wifi adaptor a default gateway.

If I bind Homeseer to my wifi IP it runs the Homeseer webserver ok but still will not connect or see my Sonos players.

I do notice if I disable my ethernet adaptor the Sonos players become active but of course I lose my Z-NET and internet connections and just end up filling up the log file with errors

I become to realize this probably isnt a Homeseer or Sonos PI issue but looking for some network advice for someone that may have a similar setup that has gone through this already and can maybe offer a solution?

Thanks

Will

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
        I hate to steal the thread but I am having a similar problem and I can't figure this out for a couple of weeks. I have been using the Sonos PI for some time with no issues until recently (ver 3.1.0.26). The players show up as ? and I cannot connect to them through HS3.

A little about my Win 10 hardware that I believe is the problem I am having but I don't have the smarts to figure this out without a little help. In my HS machine I have two NIC's, one is ethernet network and the other is wifi adaptor. The system started out as ethernet with Z-NET until I started adding a Wifi home Sonos system and Lifx lighting and PI's.

Both used-too play well together as long as I don't give my wifi adaptor a default gateway.

If I bind Homeseer to my wifi IP it runs the Homeseer webserver ok but still will not connect or see my Sonos players.

I do notice if I disable my ethernet adaptor the Sonos players become active but of course I lose my Z-NET and internet connections and just end up filling up the log file with errors

I become to realize this probably isnt a Homeseer or Sonos PI issue but looking for some network advice for someone that may have a similar setup that has gone through this already and can maybe offer a solution?

Thanks

Will
        Is the WIFI adaptor just a wireless client or is the wireless access point? Is this an external WAP or a card in your PC? In other words, is this the HW that "controls" your wireless network (provide SSID, password, allow clients etc)?

I'm pretty sure you have two subnets, what is crucial is to understand who "controls" the subnets. For this to work, we need to see if we can make this one subnet else it might not be possible to make it work. My first reaction would be to create a virtual bridge on you HS machine and add the two Ethernet ports to the bridge. However, without knowing how to two ports are configured, I wouldn't recommend that.

Is supect your wireless access point is somewhere connected to your local network, maybe through your PC or you may have tried it in the past in a different way that failed, could you provide some more info. The trick with a separate WAP from say your internet router, is that you need to hook it up using a LAN port and not a WAN port (on the WAP).

Example: you have a cablemodem provided by Xfinity and that cablemodem (or DSL modem or PON CPE) is managing your LAN. This means that the modem does network translation to the internet service provider, allowing you to run a private address local network and that device will make sure it translates all outgoing and incoming addresses to a public IP address. This NAT function you can find in any routing device and almost 100% in wireless access points. This function is typically active between what they label as the WAN port and LAN port(s). If you use this NAT function anywhere in your house, you are almost 100% guarenteed that the WAN port cannot see what is happening on the LAN, this is by design and without it, we would be in a world of hurt from hackers.

So if you use a separate WAP for any reason, you either need to set it in bridged mode (never!!!! do this on your internet device) OR just plug device into its LAN port and make sure the DHCP function on the WAP is disabled. Now all your wireless and wired clients are on the same subnet and things like discovery, be it for Sonos or for printers will all work.

Hope this helps but if you need more help, please try to describe your physical network setup as close as possible.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

I believe you are running the v3.1.0.x version of the PI so you don't need UPNP. I'm missing the line with the IP address the PI is using. This is something it gets from HS. How is the network in HS setup set (Tools->Setup->Labs (bind server to IP)?
          You can also set UPNP logging to verbose in the PI and see/capture if anything is being received.

Dirk
          Thanks Dirk for getting back to me, Attached is a better log file, I see where the Plugin isn't getting a local address just 127.0.0.1

SonosDebug.zip ​​​​​​​
          Blair

Comment

Thanks Dirk for getting back to me, Attached is a better log file, I see where the Plugin isn't getting a local address just 127.0.0.1

[ATTACH]n1254187[/ATTACH] ​​​​​​​
            Can you detail your set up? I know it is embedded windows, but which version of HS, which version of the PI? When you took the log, was the PI's debug flag on? Did you delete some debug lines because I miss a bunch that should have shown up if the debug flag was on. If you pull up the HS device page, what IP address shows up in the URL in your browser?
            When you say that the hspi_sonos.exe runs as an administrator, what does that mean? Are you running this PI remotely or start it via a script rather via HS?
            Is the UPNP debug level set to off or error_only, I need it to be the latter to make sure there are no errors opening up the UPNP listener ports.

So the code is pretty straight forward, either the PI is started remotely and therefore the IP address is different from HS or it gets the IP address from HS. In this case, it seem to have received the loopback (127.0.0.1) address for HS or no address at all. The binding setting you attached in the picture look OK.

Comment

Is the WIFI adaptor just a wireless client or is the wireless access point? Is this an external WAP or a card in your PC? In other words, is this the HW that "controls" your wireless network (provide SSID, password, allow clients etc)?

I'm pretty sure you have two subnets, what is crucial is to understand who "controls" the subnets. For this to work, we need to see if we can make this one subnet else it might not be possible to make it work. My first reaction would be to create a virtual bridge on you HS machine and add the two Ethernet ports to the bridge. However, without knowing how to two ports are configured, I wouldn't recommend that.

Is supect your wireless access point is somewhere connected to your local network, maybe through your PC or you may have tried it in the past in a different way that failed, could you provide some more info. The trick with a separate WAP from say your internet router, is that you need to hook it up using a LAN port and not a WAN port (on the WAP).

Example: you have a cablemodem provided by Xfinity and that cablemodem (or DSL modem or PON CPE) is managing your LAN. This means that the modem does network translation to the internet service provider, allowing you to run a private address local network and that device will make sure it translates all outgoing and incoming addresses to a public IP address. This NAT function you can find in any routing device and almost 100% in wireless access points. This function is typically active between what they label as the WAN port and LAN port(s). If you use this NAT function anywhere in your house, you are almost 100% guarenteed that the WAN port cannot see what is happening on the LAN, this is by design and without it, we would be in a world of hurt from hackers.

So if you use a separate WAP for any reason, you either need to set it in bridged mode (never!!!! do this on your internet device) OR just plug device into its LAN port and make sure the DHCP function on the WAP is disabled. Now all your wireless and wired clients are on the same subnet and things like discovery, be it for Sonos or for printers will all work.

Hope this helps but if you need more help, please try to describe your physical network setup as close as possible.

Dirk
              Thanks for quick reply Dirk

The wifi on my HS machine is a client and I use an external USB wifi adaptor.

I attached a diagram that will represent what I currently have for a home network using ethernet and wifi LANS.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Will Click image for larger version  Name:	MyHomeNetwork.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	1254269

Comment

Thanks for quick reply Dirk

The wifi on my HS machine is a client and I use an external USB wifi adaptor.

I attached a diagram that will represent what I currently have for a home network using ethernet and wifi LANS.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Will Click image for larger version Name:	MyHomeNetwork.JPG Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	1254269
                Nice drawing :-)
                So it won't work that's for sure.Any reason you decided to build it that way? You could hook up your wireless access point to your Watchguard and set the WAP in bridged mode (or use LAN port rather than WAN to connect to Watchguard).

If you are concerned about wireless devices such as the phones to be part of your (PC) local network, you could create a guest network and allow them only internet access and no client-to-client.

Alternative is that I look into an added setting that allows you to overwrite the IP address I get from HS and pick another. Would need some time to deal with that.

Comment

Hey Dirk - Yeah I was afraid of that, its an existing wiring system with Xfinity Cable Modem on the 1st floor, Watchguard in the basement, and now the Netgear up on the second floor centrally located in the house. The Netgear wifi router used to be attached to the WG when I first purchased it but was in the basement of my three story house and the range and speed was terrible. I can't recall when I relocated the Netgear but it was alot more feasible to drop a CAT 5 cable from the wifi router's new 2nd floor location to the Xfinity modem on the 1st floor. It made a huge difference for the family's wifi needs.

So at least you confirmed my conclusion that this is my network issue and not a PI problem. In addition, your Alternative now rings a bell that I had the same issues with Ultrajones's Ultralighting3 and Ultramon3. He did include a feature in his PI to monitor multiple subnets, that is how his plugins are currently functioning with my HS3 system.

Sorry I completely forgot about that. If this is something you can add to your PI I would certainly test for you and donate to the cause. If it is a feat you don't have time to work on I completely understand.

Thanks for opening my eyes to my issue!

Will

Comment

Can you detail your set up? I know it is embedded windows, but which version of HS, which version of the PI? When you took the log, was the PI's debug flag on? Did you delete some debug lines because I miss a bunch that should have shown up if the debug flag was on. If you pull up the HS device page, what IP address shows up in the URL in your browser?
                    When you say that the hspi_sonos.exe runs as an administrator, what does that mean? Are you running this PI remotely or start it via a script rather via HS?
                    Is the UPNP debug level set to off or error_only, I need it to be the latter to make sure there are no errors opening up the UPNP listener ports.

So the code is pretty straight forward, either the PI is started remotely and therefore the IP address is different from HS or it gets the IP address from HS. In this case, it seem to have received the loopback (127.0.0.1) address for HS or no address at all. The binding setting you attached in the picture look OK.
                    Dirk, Here is my system information

MESSAGE BOARD (copy/paste section below to message board posts)

Current Date/Time: 10/20/2018 10:33:21 PM
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard - Work Station
                    System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 38 Minutes 49 Seconds
                    IP Address: 127.0.0.1
                    Number of Devices: 602
                    Number of Events: 202
                    Available Threads: 200
                    HSTouch Enabled: True
                    Event Threads: 0
                    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                    Device Exec Queue: 0
                    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                    Email Send Queue: 0
                    Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.43.0: BLLAN
                    3.0.19.0: BLLock
                    3.1.3.33206: Blue-Iris
                    5.0.0.58: Global Cache Pro
                    3.0.0.14: NetCAM
                    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                    3.0.6.5: SDJ-Health
                    3.1.0.26: Sonos
                    3.0.6841.27363: UltraRachio3
                    3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

All plugins are loaded by Homeseer, none remotely
                    Homeseer is on a basic home network at 169.253.250.16
                    I set the properties of HSPI_Sonos.exe to run as administrator.
                    I've never seen the plugin to have an IP address short of the loopback 127.0.0.1

How can I get it assigned the right address ?
                    Blair

Comment

Dirk, Here is my system information

Current Date/Time: 10/20/2018 10:33:21 PM
                      System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 38 Minutes 49 Seconds
                      IP Address: 127.0.0.1
                      Number of Devices: 602
                      Number of Events: 202
                      Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      3.0.19.0: BLLock
                      3.1.3.33206: Blue-Iris
                      5.0.0.58: Global Cache Pro
                      3.0.0.14: NetCAM
                      30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
                      3.0.6.5: SDJ-Health
                      3.0.6841.27363: UltraRachio3
                      3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

All plugins are loaded by Homeseer, none remotely
                      Homeseer is on a basic home network at 169.253.250.16
                      I set the properties of HSPI_Sonos.exe to run as administrator.
                      I've never seen the plugin to have an IP address short of the loopback 127.0.0.1

Strange indeed, it shows that HS uses the loopback address, maybe this is an embedded Windows thing. Maybe something the HS crowd did to allow some form of redundancy between (what I believe) 2 ethernet ports. By the way, technically, 169.xxx.xxx.xxx is not a private address space, not sure which device on your network is handing out IP addresses unless this is a public IP address. I suspect you could solve this be changing the network binding setting, from no binding to picking 169.253.250.16 but maybe it causes other issues with other PIs. I'm considering adding a function to pick (like you can do in HS) which IP address to use but that could take a little so you can try with setting binding.

Comment

Don't think its a embedded Windows thing... guessing this is an older Hometroller S6 like mine:

Current Date/Time: 10/21/2018 1:03:04 PM
                        System Uptime: 5 Days 15 Hours 36 Minutes 23 Seconds
                        IP Address: 192.168.1.103
                        Number of Devices: 246
                        Number of Events: 107
                        Anti Virus Installed: Microsoft Security Essentials

Enabled Plug-Ins
                        3.3.0.0: APCUPSD
                        2.0.59.0: BLBackup
                        2.0.27.0: BLOccupied
                        1.0.4.0: BLShutdown
                        1.3.4.3: Device History
                        3.0.0.50: EasyTrigger
                        3.0.0.26: Ecobee
                        3.0.0.37: MediaController
                        3.0.1.109: PHLocation
                        0.0.0.42: Pushover 3P
                        3.0.0.38: Vista Alarm
                        3.0.1.226: Z-Wave

I noted the non-standard private address as well. Wonder if that is confusing HS3 somehow.

Comment

I've never seen the plugin to have an IP address short of the loopback 127.0.0.1[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm still dumbfounded on this. Having that said, HS CAN set bind itself to the loopback port, but in one of your posting you had a screenshot that showed "no binding". Perhaps try to change the binding from no-binding to the correct IP-address, restart HS and see if that makes a difference.

Comment

Hey Dirk - Yeah I was afraid of that, its an existing wiring system with Xfinity Cable Modem on the 1st floor, Watchguard in the basement, and now the Netgear up on the second floor centrally located in the house. The Netgear wifi router used to be attached to the WG when I first purchased it but was in the basement of my three story house and the range and speed was terrible. I can't recall when I relocated the Netgear but it was alot more feasible to drop a CAT 5 cable from the wifi router's new 2nd floor location to the Xfinity modem on the 1st floor. It made a huge difference for the family's wifi needs.

So at least you confirmed my conclusion that this is my network issue and not a PI problem. In addition, your Alternative now rings a bell that I had the same issues with Ultrajones's Ultralighting3 and Ultramon3. He did include a feature in his PI to monitor multiple subnets, that is how his plugins are currently functioning with my HS3 system.

Sorry I completely forgot about that. If this is something you can add to your PI I would certainly test for you and donate to the cause. If it is a feat you don't have time to work on I completely understand.

Thanks for opening my eyes to my issue!

Will
                            I began some test/coding of letting the PI select which subnet it would "manage" until I realized that the only way this can work is when HS and the players are in the same subnet. I believe the PI can be changed to say monitor subnet "on selection", perhaps even multiple subnets. HOWEVER, when I do announcements, the announcements are "served" by the embedded HS HTTP server function. So when you have text to announce, the PI will use external functions to convert the text to a speech file and then tell the sonos player to play a "file". This in essence is a URL that you pass to the player upon which the player will use HTTP to retrieve/stream that file. If HS is in a different subnet from the Sonos players, that request will need to be "routed" between the two subnets, which means you need a router in your setup to route between your 192.xx.xx.xx and 10.xx.xx.xx subnets. If UltraJones already added functionality to monitor multiple subnets, why don't you bind HS to the 192.xx.xx.xx subnet?

Comment

I'm still dumbfounded on this. Having that said, HS CAN set bind itself to the loopback port, but in one of your posting you had a screenshot that showed "no binding". Perhaps try to change the binding from no-binding to the correct IP-address, restart HS and see if that makes a difference.
                              Solution found Dirk and Zwolkpack
                              Well you guys hit the nail on the head. How was I to know decades ago when I set up my first router that 169.253.x.x was reserved, and I was supposed to use 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172....

So I did some testing and Binding HS to 169.253.250.16 at least showed up in the address bar instead of the usual 127.0.0.1, but HS still didn't accept my my IP address, and kept it's 127.0.0.1

Next I stopped HS and changed the S6's NIC card to address 10.253.250.16 (within the Private IP range) started up HS and the Help file shows IP Address: 10.253.250.16 and the Sonos plugin is busy discovering my system over on the other network.

Now, next step, is there a way to make HomeSeer allow the server to be on a Public instead of Private network address?
                              Besides this issue with Sonos plugin is there any harm being on a Public address while on my Private network?

Blair

Blair

Comment

Working...
                              X