Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sonos TTS delay

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sonos TTS delay

    Hi,
    I noticed the delay of speaking TTS (3-5 seconds).
    I also noticed if I have a radio station running on my sonos and send a TTS to it - the TTS delay is nearly 0.
    Is there a possibility to reduce the TTS delay without playing a radio station ?
    It would be very useful to have a fast TTS announcement if a door jas been opened ....
    Fischi

  • #2
    Originally posted by Fischi View Post
    Hi,
    I noticed the delay of speaking TTS (3-5 seconds).
    I also noticed if I have a radio station running on my sonos and send a TTS to it - the TTS delay is nearly 0.
    Is there a possibility to reduce the TTS delay without playing a radio station ?
    It would be very useful to have a fast TTS announcement if a door jas been opened ....
    Fischi
    Some of the delays are caused by the player itself. The PI tries always to return the players to the state they were before the announcement interrupted them.

    So here are things that delay them:
    a/ the more players that participate in your announcement, the slower thing will become
    b/ what the player is doing (or did). If it plays a radiostation, nothing needs to be saved but if it is playing from queue, the queue needs to be saved which takes more time.
    c/ if grouped players are part of the announcement, they need to be ungrouped so that takes time
    c/ playing a radiostation actually could add time AFTER the announcement has played as the player will buffer before playing
    d/ some premium services (pandora for example) cannot be returned exactly where they left off, they don't support "seek".

    Based on years of using the PI, the PI has minor waits built in, different depending on some of the above because it was learned that Sonos has trouble with too many messages being launched at them, they tend to drop messages. Without the waits built in, the TTS function will on occasion, not play, not link, leave players linked etc. One thing just FYI is that Sonos uses UPNP and actually has connections from each player to every other player. So the amount of traffic between players grows exponentially with the number of players in your network which further cause processing delays.

    Hope this gives you some ideas why it is what it is.

    Dirk

    Comment


    • #3
      Is it possible to make an announcement to an already-formed group so that the PI's ungroup/regroup action doesn't happen? That would save some time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by baudi View Post
        Is it possible to make an announcement to an already-formed group so that the PI's ungroup/regroup action doesn't happen? That would save some time.
        Do you expect the players to return to what they were doing? If not, just create an event to play something. Most announcements are fixed (door open etc) so you can create those as files, have them discovered by Sonos and just play them. If yes, there is still all the complexity and storing and restoring. I'm quite sure if I was to spend a lot of effort to do what you asked, few would use it because quickly you'd find the behavior to be so inconsistent (say the spouse , kids, your neighbors changed the grouping and now the announcement is blasted out some unwanted speaker in the baby room in the middle of the night when you try to sneak in returning from the bar )

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

          Some of the delays are caused by the player itself. The PI tries always to return the players to the state they were before the announcement interrupted them. .....
          Based on years of using the PI, the PI has minor waits built in, different depending on some of the above because it was learned that Sonos has trouble with too many messages being launched at them, they tend to drop messages. Without the waits built in, the TTS function will on occasion, not play, not link, leave players linked etc. One thing just FYI is that Sonos uses UPNP and actually has connections from each player to every other player. So the amount of traffic between players grows exponentially with the number of players in your network which further cause processing delays

          Dirk
          Thanks Dirk,
          I was using Sonos Http API from Github before I've installed your useful plugin.
          It worked also fine but it uses a voicerss account to a (voice) server and I don't want to send and receive my Sonos TTS over the www. anymore.
          The Http APi was working very fast for me.
          But I can live this the short relay, for now I've only a Play:5 and a Ply:1 working.
          The only problem is that sometimes the TTS fails.
          Sometimes the player doesn't return to the play radio after TTS announcements.
          Thanks,
          Fischi


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Fischi View Post
            Thanks Dirk,
            I was using Sonos Http API from Github before I've installed your useful plugin.
            It worked also fine but it uses a voicerss account to a (voice) server and I don't want to send and receive my Sonos TTS over the www. anymore.
            The Http APi was working very fast for me.
            But I can live this the short relay, for now I've only a Play:5 and a Ply:1 working.
            The only problem is that sometimes the TTS fails.
            Sometimes the player doesn't return to the play radio after TTS announcements.
            Thanks,
            Fischi

            In most cases when the player does not return what it was doing is because you firewall is dropping autonomous messages and you need to make sure that the hspi_Sonos.exe program has full allowance.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

              In most cases when the player does not return what it was doing is because you firewall is dropping autonomous messages and you need to make sure that the hspi_Sonos.exe program has full allowance.
              Doesn't hspi_Sonos.exe have full allowance by default ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fischi View Post

                Doesn't hspi_Sonos.exe have full allowance by default ?
                nope, all depends on your settings, environment, fw type etc.
                In HS3 all PIs run as their OWN executable and firewalls treat them as individual applications. Typically when the PI starts, most firewalls will pop up a screen asking for allowance. Is this perhaps a Linux environment, which would be very different

                Comment

                Working...
                X