HS3 with multiple NICs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 with multiple NICs

My home network is designed to separate traffic into 4 VLANs. The HS3 server is on native, but all my devices (TVs, SONOS, phones...) are on a DEVICES VLAN.

I have a NIC on the HS3 server that is plugged into the devices VLAN with no gateway defined.

I can ping the SONOS devices from HS3, but UPnP does not see them unless A.) the primary NIC is plugged into the devices subnet (and given a valid IP), or B.) I bind HS3 to an IP on the DEVICES subnet.

Is there a way to make this plugin listen on a specific NIC/IP rather than the default server binding? How about hard coding static IP addresses for the SONOS devices?

Originally posted by fmj12212 View Post
    My home network is designed to separate traffic into 4 VLANs. The HS3 server is on native, but all my devices (TVs, SONOS, phones...) are on a DEVICES VLAN.

I have a NIC on the HS3 server that is plugged into the devices VLAN with no gateway defined.

I can ping the SONOS devices from HS3, but UPnP does not see them unless A.) the primary NIC is plugged into the devices subnet (and given a valid IP), or B.) I bind HS3 to an IP on the DEVICES subnet.

Is there a way to make this plugin listen on a specific NIC/IP rather than the default server binding? How about hard coding static IP addresses for the SONOS devices?
    Which HS version are you on? Is the HS ipaddress in the same subnet or different subnet from the Sonos players?

Comment

Thanks for responding so fast!

Version is HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.500 (Windows)

the primary NIC IP of the HS3 is in a different subnet by design. The second NIC is in the same subnet as the sonos devices.

I can bind HS3 to the second NIC and it works with sonos devices. I would rather keep the server on the native vlan and interact with the devices on a dedicated NIC.

Comment

By design UPNP cannot work between subnets. So having HS on the same subnet is the right solution. You could run the PI “remotely”, a solution to allow the PI to run on a different PC, one which is in the same subnet as your Sonos players, but I wouldn’t know how to do this in your setup. See the PI relies on HS to serve as an HTTP server, so it selects the same network interface you selected for HS (it just queries HS for IP address). If you run it “remotely” it will pick the first IPv4 interface it finds, assuming no multi homing or VMs, I never needed that hence I never designed an option to select. So if you do it on your system you may get lucky and it may work but it could also be very unreliable depending on which Ethernet interface shows up first in the Ethernet table.
        Dirk

Comment

Played around running remote. I could get the devices to register but no other controls worked. I decided to put the primary interface for HS3 on the devices subnet. I'll fall back to windows firewall to protect the server. I'm really trying to keep the IoT and my storage/computers segregated as much as possible.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Comment

Working...
          X