Sonos Devices not found in player table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos Devices not found in player table

Trialling latest HS3-PI and Sonos Plugin with default settings.

Plugin installed fine and I can see all my players in the Sonos Device table. Last night only one device appeared in my players, tonight I now have two. Is there something else I need to do to have all the players appear in my Player list?:-

Only two devices end up in the player table:-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Upnp.PNG
Views:	505
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1295089

do they all show up and play nice in the Sonos app?

Try looking at this in your browser. Replace the Xs with an IP address of one of your Sonos boxes. Then pick the last item on the list, Network Matrix.

X.X.X.X:1400/support/review
    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgla View Post
      Trialling latest HS3-PI and Sonos Plugin with default settings.

Plugin installed fine and I can see all my players in the Sonos Device table. Last night only one device appeared in my players, tonight I now have two. Is there something else I need to do to have all the players appear in my Player list?:-

Only two devices end up in the player table:-

Views:	505
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1295089
      The player table should be a cumulative list to anything that the PI has discovered over time, unless there is a manual intervention. If you say: "you had 2 one night and 1 the other day", did you delete anything? Perhaps you were referring to the on-line status but you always had 2 entries in the player table?

Comment

Originally posted by drparker151 View Post
        do they all show up and play nice in the Sonos app?

Try looking at this in your browser. Replace the Xs with an IP address of one of your Sonos boxes. Then pick the last item on the list, Network Matrix.

X.X.X.X:1400/support/review

All players show up and play fine in Sonos app, Alexa and other uPNP players.

I have too many other 2.4GHz neighbours so every Sonos in wired- so network matrix is empty:-

Views:	453
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1295098

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

The player table should be a cumulative list to anything that the PI has discovered over time, unless there is a manual intervention. If you say: "you had 2 one night and 1 the other day", did you delete anything? Perhaps you were referring to the on-line status but you always had 2 entries in the player table?
          I installed HS3-PI trial at weekend and have been setting up Z-wave, so only got to Sonos last night. The garden Sonos appear fairly quickly- within 30 minutes or so (now 24 hours ago). The Living room Sonos showed up tonight. I used two of the bedroom ones this morning but they've not appeared- or any of the others- but I can see them in uPNP on TV, Windows, etc.

I've not deleted any players...I was waiting for them all to appear before I start setting them up.

Comment

I installed HS3-PI trial at weekend and have been setting up Z-wave, so only got to Sonos last night. The garden Sonos appear fairly quickly- within 30 minutes or so (now 24 hours ago). The Living room Sonos showed up tonight. I used two of the bedroom ones this morning but they've not appeared- or any of the others- but I can see them in uPNP on TV, Windows, etc.

I've not deleted any players...I was waiting for them all to appear before I start setting them up.
            I see, this indicates that multicasting is not properly working for some reason.
            Do you have managed switches or any form of routing in your network? If you do and given you have wired multiple players, make sure STP is active on all involved switches. Don't recall Sonos supporting RSTP, believe you should enable STP (do some Googling on topic).
            Did you check whether the PI ( not HS but PI!!) has proper allowances on your firewall. I assume this is a Window's install. Perhaps in a VM or native? Did you check the log for any errors?
            Cheers,
            Dirk

Comment

There’s no routing, just one flat subnet. HomeSeer-PI is the standard image running bare metal Linux on the PI3 like a Zee, no VM. There is no internal firewall. There’s no network loops so no need for STP.
              The PI is connected to a semi-managed switch that has IGMP querying enabled but snooping disabled (this worked best for Sonos). This switch connects to a Netgear unmanaged switch which also connects to the visible Living Room Sonos and most of the other Sonos players. A Netgear Orbi links this switch to the garage which has a managed Cisco in it, the visible garden Sonos is coonnected to this.
              So we”re getting visibility of players across all the switches, and the unmanaged Netgear that’s in the middle will just treat the multicast as broadcast and put it to every port- so not sure it is a multicast problem.

If there was an issue like that would it not affect grouped Sonos playing?

Comment

There’s no routing, just one flat subnet. HomeSeer-PI is the standard image running bare metal Linux on the PI3 like a Zee, no VM. There is no internal firewall. There’s no network loops so no need for STP.
                The PI is connected to a semi-managed switch that has IGMP querying enabled but snooping disabled (this worked best for Sonos). This switch connects to a Netgear unmanaged switch which also connects to the visible Living Room Sonos and most of the other Sonos players. A Netgear Orbi links this switch to the garage which has a managed Cisco in it, the visible garden Sonos is coonnected to this.
                So we”re getting visibility of players across all the switches, and the unmanaged Netgear that’s in the middle will just treat the multicast as broadcast and put it to every port- so not sure it is a multicast problem.

I believe Sonos always uses their SonosNet (could be wrong though), the wireless settings is whether you "hook up" your players via your own Wifi network or you have a wired connection somewhere in your network. I stepped away a long time ago from having multiple players wired, to just one or since the boost came out, just the boost is connected to my network.
                I'm surprised that the network matrix is empty, I haven't looked at it for a while and recently, I couldn't pull it up on my system, so Sonos might be in the process of removing it. Either way, the matrix, I used to look at it to check the STP status of the players, so I would still recommend you only connect one player and let SonosNet do their thing unless the players are way out of reach of each other.
                Setting IGMP query on and snooping off, I believe is the right way to go. I recently struggled with my own set-up, after I had dropped in a managed switch, that I set to snooping, to find out that it wasn't working. The PI just subscribes to multicast sockets, so I have no idea how well the OS deals with sending joins etc or assumes it is a L2 network and switches should not be too smart (no snooping) and broadcast it out of all ports.

In the PI, there are 2 principles to detect players:
                a/ at startup, the PI uses multicast to query the whole subnet for UPNP devices, that's how they all show up when the PI starts.
                b/ after start-up, the PI subscribes itself to a multicast port upon which all UPNP devices are supposed to advertise themselves on a periodic basis (typically <30 min).

So the fact they they don't show up when the PI starts nor that they all "dribble" in within the first 30 min, all points that the multicast messages are not reaching the PI.

I do believe that in many cases where people have issues with the PI (which 100% turns out to be FW or network issues), but their players seems OK, that Sonos by always having their SonosNet, can get around all these home network settings. As I said just above, I ran around in circles for a week, just recently, because the managed switches I had added had this very strange behavior and very intermittent behavior (note I had 2 of these cascaded, connected to yet another switch), where players would show up, drop, show up until I disabled all snooping. The problem was not with the PI because I used Intel's UPNP snooping app and it showed the same behavior.

I would recommend as a test, that you only connect one player, preferably a player that is hooked to the same switch you use to connect HS/PI to and see if it makes a difference. If it does, you can start your experiment from there.

Dirk
                ps I read somewhere recently that Sonos uses both unicast and multicast to stream same music to multiple players. If I recall right, multicast when a boost is in the system else unicast. Whether uni or multicast has no bearing on streaming functions, multicast is more efficient for your network, I'm sure the stream has timestamps embedded which are used to synchronize the players.

Comment

Ignore my remark on the network matrix, it is still there. A bunch of other stuff unfortunately got dropped over the years ......

Comment

From reading lots of sonos posts from all over, I believe you must have STP enabled on all managed switches (not RSTP), if you have multiple wired sonos units.
                    tenholde

Comment

I've read that Sonosnet uses one of the WiFi channels. Here I have one wired, the other 6 are wireless Sonos1.
                      Sonosnet here runs on channel 1, so I keep my WiFi set to another channel.
                      Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro | Blue-Iris 4 on Windows10Pro
                      | Devices: 832 | Events: 211 |
                      Plug-Ins: Z-Wave | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
                      BLLAN | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blue-Iris4

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post

From reading lots of sonos posts from all over, I believe you must have STP enabled on all managed switches (not RSTP), if you have multiple wired sonos units.
                        Very sure you don’t need STP unless you have multiple routes to a device- then it's used for loop avoidance (day job). Bear in mind that most people either use Sonos mesh, or wired with mesh, or multiple paths- hence why it’s usually on.

I tried playing about with the IGMP settings but even the Sonos on the same switch at Homeseer wasn't found- only the distant ones were.

Roll forward an hour and I just tried rebooting all Sonos players (don't know why I never tried this earlier), every one is now listed in the plugin player table.

I'm not sure what exactly was going on...

I still only have the first two players available in the Linkgroup configuration:-

And if I try to create a speech event I have nothing listed on the left:-

Views:	410
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1295280

Is the linkgroup populated in a different way to the player table, and should I be seeing something in the "connected/ added speaker clients"?

Comment

Very sure you don’t need STP unless you have multiple routes to a device- then it's used for loop avoidance (day job). Bear in mind that most people either use Sonos mesh, or wired with mesh, or multiple paths- hence why it’s usually on.

I tried playing about with the IGMP settings but even the Sonos on the same switch at Homeseer wasn't found- only the distant ones were.

Roll forward an hour and I just tried rebooting all Sonos players (don't know why I never tried this earlier), every one is now listed in the plugin player table.

I'm not sure what exactly was going on...

I still only have the first two players available in the Linkgroup configuration:-

And if I try to create a speech event I have nothing listed on the left:-

Views:	410
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1295280

Is the linkgroup populated in a different way to the player table, and should I be seeing something in the "connected/ added speaker clients"?
                          The network loop "can" be caused between SonosNet and you having multiple players connected to your network, that where the multi-path could come from.

The picture of the linkgroup table didn't come through, so can't comment on it. Have you checked the help file? It can be found by clicking on tools->help->Sonos, it has the steps to set up linkgroups and announcements.

Comment

I understand that, but Wireless is disabled on every player using "http://sonos-bedroom:1400/wifictrl?wifi=persist-off". There is only one route to each player over the wired connection.
                            That''s also why the network matrix is empty- there is no signal strength to measure. And when you look at the Ethernet ports on each player only the wired one is listed.

In the plugin player table every player (except living room which was powered down) shows online and they appear in the plugin menu- but only two in the linkgroup.

I'm presuming in the events "connected/ added speaker clients" I should see the Homeseer server and this shouldn't be blank?
                            I'm wondering if something in the default Homeseer PI3 Linux image is blocking the plugin- there's no detail in the help or that I've found on the HS-PI3 to give me any pointers.

Name:	Matrix.PNG
Views:	409
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	1295308

Comment

I understand that, but Wireless is disabled on every player using "http://sonos-bedroom:1400/wifictrl?wifi=persist-off". There is only one route to each player over the wired connection.
                              That''s also why the network matrix is empty- there is no signal strength to measure. And when you look at the Ethernet ports on each player only the wired one is listed.

In the plugin player table every player (except living room which was powered down) shows online and they appear in the plugin menu- but only two in the linkgroup.

I'm presuming in the events "connected/ added speaker clients" I should see the Homeseer server and this shouldn't be blank?
                              I'm wondering if something in the default Homeseer PI3 Linux image is blocking the plugin- there's no detail in the help or that I've found on the HS-PI3 to give me any pointers.

Name:	Matrix.PNG
Views:	409
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	1295308
                              Ok, SonosNet is totally off, didn't even know that was possible -- I agree, no network loop possible.
                              From your description, I wonder whether there is a corruption between HS and the PI's DB or in the PI's ini file.
                              Could do the following:

a/ post a screen shot of the linkgroup table and the player table (not sure why it doesn't show for me, make sure the link you use is not a local link, best is to attach real pictures so there is proper resolution)
                              b/ turn the PI's debug flag on and now re-start HS. Let it all come up for say a few minutes and post the whole log file. Perhaps even check current log for Sonos Errors.

Just FYI if you want to check you managed switches for Multicast membership/port; UPNP uses address 239.255.255.250 (and port 1900 for periodic alive messages)

Comment

Working...
                              X