After Sonos TTS, playback restarts before volume level is restored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Sonos TTS, playback restarts before volume level is restored

Recently (sometime in the past month or so) I have noticed a new, unexpected behavior with my Sonos TTS. When the Sonos announcement ends and the plugin restores the system to its previous state, it starts playing before the previous volume level is restored. So what happens is I get a second or so of really loud playback before the volume is properly restored to the level it was at before the TTS.

Yes, I am specifying a volume level in my TTS linkgroup. And yes, the volume level I specify in the TTS link group (50) is quite a bit higher than the normal listening level (25-ish). So this explains the volume jump I am hearing after announcements. But this never happened until a month or so ago.

The only thing that has changed with my Sonos system is that I added a Connect (ZP90) and a Connect:amp (ZP120) a couple of months ago. But neither have been added to the TTS linkgroup, so I do not believe these additions are related.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Edit: HS3 Pro v3.0.0.531, Windows Server 2016, Sonos v3.1.0.28
    Last edited by teladog01; May 10, 2019, 12:00 AM. Reason: version info

Yes, I have the same issue with a second or two with a volume jump before resuming the previous level and state
    Unfortunately, I haven't found any solution to this.

Comment

What exactly was the player playing before/after the announcement? Was it local content played from a queue, a music service (which one), something else?

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
        What exactly was the player playing before/after the announcement? Was it local content played from a queue, a music service (which one), something else?
        For me, it is usually TV Input on my Playbar.

Comment

Not a solution, but a comment...

For me I had a different issue. I usually listen a streaming service such as Pandora, Amazon, Google, etc.

When the TTS announcement finishes it always jumped to the next song. I have tried everything to stop this. It is extremely annoying, especially when you are listening to a song you like.

I eventually gave up and went a completely different route. I purchased a hardware Audio Ducker.

- My SONOS plays whatever and feeds it into the ducker line-in.
          - I have Homeseer speaker playing into the Mic Input.
          - The output of the ducker feeds my whole-house audio system.

So as long as there is no sound on the mic input (Homeseer) the Sonos is fed into the house system directly. During any sounds from Homeseer, the sonos sound is lowered and the announcement is made above the music. As soon as the announcement has completed, the music volume is restored.

One drawback of this route is that it only plays my TTS merged with a single SONOS, but for me that's fine since my main SONOS feeds my whole-house audio system.

Here is the device, though I don't remember from where I bought it:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

Another thing I do is I monitor the Sonos current track in my plugin (I do all my control in a custom plugin for complex control). If I turn on a virtual "announce songs" device, I have homeseer announce things like "And now, Can't help falling in love, by Elvis Presley..." at the start of each song. It uses different wording each time to sound natural, like a radio DJ.

Comment

I suspect this only happens when the player was doing something "non queue" based before the announcement. I seem to recall I had a bit of a chicken and egg issue a long time ago where a volume restoration command would get lost if issued to quickly before the player was fully unlinked from the group, hence I moved it to be one of the last things to do. Also Sonos seems to have bounced around a little over the years where restoring certain services would start playing automatically whereas other services required a specific "play" command, which I issue last in my restoration flow. Therefore I suspect that "non queue" based services will autostart play and if there is some slowness in the system, the volume adjustment comes in late and you have a brief spike of volume difference.
            I'll post a new version in the beta section where I've added setting the volume before restoring the content being played.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
              I suspect this only happens when the player was doing something "non queue" based before the announcement. I seem to recall I had a bit of a chicken and egg issue a long time ago where a volume restoration command would get lost if issued to quickly before the player was fully unlinked from the group, hence I moved it to be one of the last things to do. Also Sonos seems to have bounced around a little over the years where restoring certain services would start playing automatically whereas other services required a specific "play" command, which I issue last in my restoration flow. Therefore I suspect that "non queue" based services will autostart play and if there is some slowness in the system, the volume adjustment comes in late and you have a brief spike of volume difference.
              I'll post a new version in the beta section where I've added setting the volume before restoring the content being played.
              Makes sense, Dirk, thanks for explaining.

The volume spike behavior is definitely a recent development, probably coinciding with one of the recent Sonos updates. Not a huge deal, but it can be a little jarring if you don't know it's coming

I'll try out the new version and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

Makes sense, Dirk, thanks for explaining.

The volume spike behavior is definitely a recent development, probably coinciding with one of the recent Sonos updates. Not a huge deal, but it can be a little jarring if you don't know it's coming

I'll try out the new version and report back.
                A new version (33) was posted in the beta section. Try it out, let me know if the volume spike is gone, if not, turn on the debug flag and redo the announcement, post log

Comment

I've been testing out v34 for the past two days and so far I've had probably ten or so announcements and have *not* noticed the volume spike on any of them. 👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
                    I've been testing out v34 for the past two days and so far I've had probably ten or so announcements and have *not* noticed the volume spike on any of them. 👍👍
                    Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                    X