Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symfonisk speaker

Dirk,

Do you think these $99 bookshelf speakers made by Sonos will work with your PI? They are described as being a Sonos speaker controlled with the Sonos app just like any other Sonos speaker.

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/usearc...helf%20speaker
    Michael

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
    Dirk,

Do you think these $99 bookshelf speakers made by Sonos will work with your PI? They are described as being a Sonos speaker controlled with the Sonos app just like any other Sonos speaker.

Really can't tell. If controlled by the same Sonos APP, I would assume it would, but don't take my word for it. Have you searched Sonos forums, especially the Sonos development forums, perhaps Openhab or other HA system forums?

Comment

Dirk,

I can confirm they work. Standalone, as in a 5.1/0 setup. I have 3 of them.

btw maybe nice to know, you can drive a Active subwoofer from them, with a small hack. Which sounds amazing
      Regards Bart
      ------------------------------------------
      Win7 64Bit on Intel NUCI7 with SSD
      HSPRO 3.
      Devices; 1370 Events; 691

Jon00 Scripts, JowHue, HSTouch, Plugwise, Z-wave, Ultranetatmo, Ultracam, PHlocation, BLUSBUIRT, MeiHarmony, Buienradar, MEiUnifi Pushover 3P, Random, Nest HSPhone and Blueiris

Visonic Powermax Alarm System (HS3) Interface: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

Comment

Seems odd that Sonos would undercut their own sales with a less expensive "private label" product.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bartbakels View Post

I can confirm they work. Standalone, as in a 5.1/0 setup. I have 3 of them.

btw maybe nice to know, you can drive a Active subwoofer from them, with a small hack. Which sounds amazing
          So they don’t pair? That’s fine with me. I can recycle some Sonos Play:1s at that price for a bookshelf speaker if I ever want to pair.
          Michael

Comment

So they don’t pair? That’s fine with me. I can recycle some Sonos Play:1s at that price for a bookshelf speaker if I ever want to pair.
            no they will pair, no issues. I also read that the Symfonisk bookshelf speaker has the same internals as a play:1 only another enclosure
            Regards Bart
            ------------------------------------------
            Win7 64Bit on Intel NUCI7 with SSD
            HSPRO 3.
            Devices; 1370 Events; 691

Jon00 Scripts, JowHue, HSTouch, Plugwise, Z-wave, Ultranetatmo, Ultracam, PHlocation, BLUSBUIRT, MeiHarmony, Buienradar, MEiUnifi Pushover 3P, Random, Nest HSPhone and Blueiris

Visonic Powermax Alarm System (HS3) Interface: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

Comment

I picked up a pair of the Black and a pair of the of the White (speakers only, not the light). I can confirm:
              1. They are added to the local network, the same as any other Sonos
              2. They can be used individually or as a stereo pair
              3. They can be used with the Sonos subwoofer
              4. They work with the plug-in, just like any other Sonos
              5. Subjectively they sound about the same as the Play 1, though I have not extensively tested them
              6. they support Apple Air Play (very cool)
              They certainly look like similar components to the Play 1, though I haven't taken one apart in over a year. I believe the Play 1 is a sealed enclosure, where the IKEA is ported. The Play 1 has (IIRC) a 3-1/2" woofer, where the IKEA has a 3". Both use domed tweeters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1329960
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                I picked up a pair of the Black and a pair of the of the White (speakers only, not the light). I can confirm:
                1. They are added to the local network, the same as any other Sonos
                2. They can be used individually or as a stereo pair
                3. They can be used with the Sonos subwoofer
                4. They work with the plug-in, just like any other Sonos
                5. Subjectively they sound about the same as the Play 1, though I have not extensively tested them
                6. they support Apple Air Play (very cool)
                They certainly look like similar components to the Play 1, though I haven't taken one apart in over a year. I believe the Play 1 is a sealed enclosure, where the IKEA is ported. The Play 1 has (IIRC) a 3-1/2" woofer, where the IKEA has a 3". Both use domed tweeters.

Name:	IMG_1836.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1329960
                If you go to the player table what is the model number for these so I can add it to the PI's as a "pairable player"

Comment

I just spent a few minutes comparing the IKEA speakers to a pair of Play 1s. While this is extremely subjective, I like the IKEA speakers a little better. There is clearly a difference in tonality with the IKEA speakers sounding slightly brighter. The bass is about the same, with the Play 1s possibly sounding a little deeper, but they are both very comparable. It may be the new DACs, but they also seemed to have better definition and vocals came out a little more up front. Mind you, my 65 year old ears are not as capable of hearing the highest frequencies (especially over tinnitus) as they once would, but they still work fairly well. This was all done using some FLAC rips from my local server. We also have the new Amazon HD music service, which also sounds great.

I am very happy with the IKEAs as I am with the Play 1s. I'll play more over the next few days, but I give a slight nod to the IKEA speakers.

Name:	IMG_1837.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1329972

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

If you go to the player table what is the model number for these so I can add it to the PI's as a "pairable player"

Name:	Captur9.png
Views:	354
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1329975

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

Name:	Captur9.png
Views:	354
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1329975
                      well well s21 .... I wonder why not S1x or maybe they already have exhausted all 1x numbers.
                      Thanks for the info!
                      Dirk

Comment

One other tidbit of info:
                        • The original Play 1 (S1) standby ~3.5W
                        • The 2nd gen Play 1 (S12) standby ~2W
                        • The IKEA (S21) standby ~1.8W

Comment

Working...
                        X