No announcement yet.

Important: Sonos Users read this! License plans for HS3/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure would be cool if the HS4 plug-in could be used over a VPN. I know this is a big deal since UPnP is core to this, but we can't use the PI now due to this limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckk9032 View Post
      Sure would be cool if the HS4 plug-in could be used over a VPN. I know this is a big deal since UPnP is core to this, but we can't use the PI now due to this limitation.
      Why don't you run an instance remote? Is the VPN on a different subnet or the same? If the latter, it should work

Comment

Yeah, it's three locations each on different subnets, all site-to-site VPNs and one instance of HS4, unfortunately. If there were a way to specify the IP addresses in the PI, would that solve it? Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Yeah, it's three locations each on different subnets, all site-to-site VPNs and one instance of HS4, unfortunately. If there were a way to specify the IP addresses in the PI, would that solve it? Thanks for the quick reply.
          You don't have to run HS4 on the remote computer but it helps if you install it, use the installer to properly download and install the PI, but once that is done you can start the PI with a remote IP. You do this by doing hspi_sonos.exe server=cc.xx.yy.zz

Comment

Interesting. I'll give that a try! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

You don't have to run HS4 on the remote computer but it helps if you install it, use the installer to properly download and install the PI, but once that is done you can start the PI with a remote IP. You do this by doing hspi_sonos.exe server=cc.xx.yy.zz
              That seemed to almost work well. The PI shows up as remotely loaded now, and it finds the player for the first location I tried. But no luck on controlling the player. I tried delting the ini file and restarting but no luck there. Would you mind looking at the startup log from the cmd used to start it remotely and let me know if you see anything obvious? Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

That seemed to almost work well. The PI shows up as remotely loaded now, and it finds the player for the first location I tried. But no luck on controlling the player. I tried delting the ini file and restarting but no luck there. Would you mind looking at the startup log from the cmd used to start it remotely and let me know if you see anything obvious? Thanks.
                The log starts with a bunch of errors, maybe you should describe your setup and intent in a lot more detail.
                questions:
                a/ are you running one instance remotely, or you run multiple instances, some at remote locations, some at home where the HS PC is
                b/ why are you running this remotely, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Yuo cannot mix and match events accross instances.

The PI should work running remote, not sure how will it works running multiple instance. If the latter, you should add another parameter to your command line to define other instances. So you should add: instance=xyz and obviously the instance name should be unique for each instance.

So the startup command now becomes

hspi_sonos.exe server=cc.xx.yy.zz , instance=xyz (not 100% sure about the comma between parameters)

Comment

The log starts with a bunch of errors, maybe you should describe your setup and intent in a lot more detail.
                  questions:
                  a/ are you running one instance remotely, or you run multiple instances, some at remote locations, some at home where the HS PC is
                  b/ why are you running this remotely, what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Yuo cannot mix and match events accross instances.

The PI should work running remote, not sure how will it works running multiple instance. If the latter, you should add another parameter to your command line to define other instances. So you should add: instance=xyz and obviously the instance name should be unique for each instance.

So the startup command now becomes

hspi_sonos.exe server=cc.xx.yy.zz , instance=xyz (not 100% sure about the comma between parameters)
                  Answers: HS4 (in an HS3 folder) centrally serves three locations. There are no Sonos devices at the HS4 location nor is a local Sonos PI running. Currently, there is one remote location with a Sonos device, but the hope is to also extend to another. When the PI is running remotely, there is only this one instance and it shows up in the HS4 plug-in list as remotely loaded. Since the PI is finding the current single Sonos device on the same subnet but can't read other info or pass control, I must be doing something that's creating issues with the UPnP Master. I've now attached the simplified excerpt from the HS log. It seems so close to working but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll use the Instances designation if I can get this working and add the other location.

Thanks again.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Answers: HS4 (in an HS3 folder) centrally serves three locations. There are no Sonos devices at the HS4 location nor is a local Sonos PI running. Currently, there is one remote location with a Sonos device, but the hope is to also extend to another. When the PI is running remotely, there is only this one instance and it shows up in the HS4 plug-in list as remotely loaded. Since the PI is finding the current single Sonos device on the same subnet but can't read other info or pass control, I must be doing something that's creating issues with the UPnP Master. I've now attached the simplified excerpt from the HS log. It seems so close to working but maybe I'm wrong.

I'll use the Instances designation if I can get this working and add the other location.

Thanks again.
                    This log and the one you sent me before shows a problem with the databases, this isn't a UPNP problem. You wrote you delete the ini file, when and how did you do that? Did you delete the ini file when HS was stopped? So stop HS, delete the sonos.ini file on the HS pc, restart and don't delete anything! Do you see devices being created?

edit: suggest you move this to its own thread.
                    I have never tested at length running multiple instance, let alone in multiple remote sites. You didn't answer what you wanted to do because you may not get where you want to go and therefore save yourself a lot of effort.

Comment

I have a simple question I hope. I am on HS4 and I am trying to get speech to work on a sonos speaker. The speaker does not show up in the list of speakers to choose from when I select the Speak Something. Back in HS3 you could put in $SONOS$Living Room$: and it would work. How do we get the sonos speakers to show? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                        I have a simple question I hope. I am on HS4 and I am trying to get speech to work on a sonos speaker. The speaker does not show up in the list of speakers to choose from when I select the Speak Something. Back in HS3 you could put in $SONOS$Living Room$: and it would work. How do we get the sonos speakers to show? Thanks
                        Use the HS3 equivalent URL ie http://xx.yy.zz.qq:nn/Events

Comment

Use the HS3 equivalent URL ie http://xx.yy.zz.qq:nn/Events
                          Are you referring to the Play URL under the Sonos Actions?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Are you referring to the Play URL under the Sonos Actions?
                            Nope. In stead of clicking on the button to create an event, you use a different URL to do the same. HS4 still has pretty much ALL of the HS3 functions and screens, they just linked slighly different URLs to pull up a HS4 looking screen.

So click on the "Events" button, a web browsers opens up and you will see that they URL is something like http://192.168.1.81/events.html
                            Now CHANGE "events.html" to "events" so remove the .html, then the HS3 style window will show and you can create your Sonos speak events and add a speaker client.

Comment

Thanks, that worked fine. A flash from the past of HS3. Getting your HS4 version will be nice. I will definitely be a buyer.

Comment

Working...
                              X