Speaking to a single speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking to a single speaker

Can I have TTS go to a single speaker? And if so, do I have to set it in the link group area or can I just use $SONOS$$Speaker Name$?

Yes you can do a single speaker, but you'll still need to set it up as a linkgroup (with a single member) on the Sonos config page.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
      Can I have TTS go to a single speaker? And if so, do I have to set it in the link group area or can I just use $SONOS$$Speaker Name$?
      Yes you can send to a single speaker. I place this in the "Edit Speaker Client List" text window and then press Add. $SONOS$Living Room$: No need for bold I just wanted to make sure you saw the colon at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Yes you can send to a single speaker. I place this in the "Edit Speaker Client List" text window and then press Add. $SONOS$Living Room$: No need for bold I just wanted to make sure you saw the colon at the end.
        ????????????????????????????????
        Had to check the code whether I added this and totally forgot about it. No this doesn't work, it may work because you must have a linkgroup named Living Room

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

????????????????????????????????
          Had to check the code whether I added this and totally forgot about it. No this doesn't work, it may work because you must have a linkgroup named Living Room
          It was an example. I should have put $SONOS$speaker name$: No bold but I thought it was implied that it was an example. I will put an EX. next time.

Comment

Using the speaker name doesn't work for me unless I also have a linkgroup configured with the same name.

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

Using the speaker name doesn't work for me unless I also have a linkgroup configured with the same name.
              If you are referring to this then I would assume this would have been set up prior. You can give it any linkgroup name as long as you use that exact name in the client list. So an example would be $SONOS$Living Room$: It matches the name below in the linkgroup. Don't forget the colon at the end, it is hard to see here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pic1.png Views:	0 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	1371415

Comment

If you are referring to this then I would assume this would have been set up prior. You can give it any linkgroup name as long as you use that exact name in the client list. So an example would be $SONOS$Living Room$: It matches the name below in the linkgroup. Don't forget the colon at the end, it is hard to see here.
                Right. The OP asked:

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                do I have to set it in the link group area or can I just use $SONOS$$Speaker Name$?
                The point is you cannot just enter $SONOS$<speaker name>$: in the speaker client list without prior configuration. You must first configure a linkgroup with the same name as the speaker. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

Right. The OP asked:

The point is you cannot just enter $SONOS$<speaker name>$: in the speaker client list without prior configuration. You must first configure a linkgroup with the same name as the speaker. 👍
                  That is why I said you have to set it up prior. In the pic it shows that you must give the linkgroup a name. I showed an example as being called "Living Room". I then said you must use that exact name in the client list entry. So as an example based on the linkgroup name your entry in the client list would be $SONOS$Living Room$:

So to answer the OP, Yes, you will have to give the linkgroup a specific name and use that name in the client list entry and you cannot just use $SONOS$$Speaker Name$

Comment

That is why I said you have to set it up prior.
                    But in your first post you did not say this, and so it implied that no prior config was needed, just to enter the $SONOS$<speaker name>$: in the speaker client list. So I was just trying to clear that up 👍

It's OK, we are on the same team here and ultimately we are in agreement There was just some confusion along the way

Comment

Working...
                    X