Adjusting Volume Up or Down of a Group using voice command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I didn't realize that a volume up/down control was provided

In any case, this is activated from a Minimote, which provides only eight controls. With this I toggle between common volumes using just one control.

Comment

I have set up a virtual switch in HS. I also have my sonos system setup with jishi node sonos on my unraid server. This allows me to control my sonos using http commands. So when I want the volume of my speakers to go down, I say "Alexa, music down". This turns on the virtual switch in HS and then my event runs which sends an HTTP command to lower the volume by 5. Same thing for volume up. This works but it would be better if I could run all my sonos through HS.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
        ... it would be better if I could run all my sonos through HS.
        You can, when you look at the HS devices created for Sonos, you will see a "volume" device and "down" & "up" controls. The event you create, add an action, "control HS device" and select the sonos - volume - up device or down device.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

You can, when you look at the HS devices created for Sonos, you will see a "volume" device and "down" & "up" controls. The event you create, add an action, "control HS device" and select the sonos - volume - up device or down device.
          This only works for one sonos at a time. I am using my method to change the volume of "grouped" sonos.

Comment

I use EasyTrigger to sync the volume of two players - use 'EasyTrigger: Set Device to another Device'

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post

This only works for one sonos at a time. I am using my method to change the volume of "grouped" sonos.
              I see, are these fixed groups or you have a way to figure out who is grouped with whom? If they are fixed, you can just add them all in the same event, if dynamic, I suspect you wrote a bit of scripting code, starting with figuring out which group we're talking about and who is the groupcoordinator, if not the scripts will still fail. That's the reason why I have shied away to come up with a "user friendly" way to poor a bunch of dynamic behavior into an events which tends to be pretty static

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                I use EasyTrigger to sync the volume of two players - use 'EasyTrigger: Set Device to another Device'
                Interesting but if you know in advance the configuration, apart from the toggling you do, you could just add two volume actions to one event

Comment

Interesting but if you know in advance the configuration, apart from the toggling you do, you could just add two volume actions to one event
                  Not sure how that would sync them.

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

Not sure how that would sync them.
                    you mean same volume? I hear you. Users requirements are quite extensive, just can't stick it all in a PI and maintain. Sure other people would want to have relative volume adjustment, a player at 40% outdoor, just isn't the same as the player at 40% volume in the bedroom/bathroom. This easy trigger usage for this (and sure other things) is quite interesting. Just realized that this is indeed missing as basic functions in HS.

Open to hear suggestions how we can add some dynamic behavior or use of variables in Sonos Actions/Triggers. Each time I think of it, say in the context of creating dynamic groupings and volume settings, short of running a script, I can't think of an easy way to provide while staying within the HS3/4 provided action/trigger functions.

Comment

There are HS buttons with volume up and volume down you can link to your keypad.
                      This is a physical Insteon keypad, but I don't see Volume UP or Volume DOWN as a Sonos Action. What am I missing?

Thx,

Comment

Seek post #18 of this thread. There are homeseer devices for that

Comment

There are HS buttons with volume up and volume down you can link to your keypad.
                          Thanks, found them under the HS Device, rather than Sonos Actions.

Comment

Working...
                          X