Trying to resume playing after TTS announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to resume playing after TTS announcement

I am trying to pause or stop playing from one of my Sonos speakers, then speak something (my announcement) then resume playing whatever it was playing before, so could be a radio station or any music from my library. If I just use the speak action, after the speak it is not resuming. So I thought I pause the player, make my announcement, then resume...
    That doesnt work either as It was playing the announcement, then stopped to resume does not work
    Is there a solution ? This is my event (not working)

Attached Files

The Speak (TTS) action is an asynchronous action, meaning it gets put on a queue and scheduled asap. This will allow multiple concurrent announcements and not hold up the HS event engine when you play say something long. The "wait for speech to finish" is a HS thing, due to the asynchronous implementation, it has no effect on the speak event. So the action after the speak action will most likely be happening before or during the speak event, so don't use this, there is no need for it.

So we should focus on why the announcement does not work. Have you checked whether the player state is updating in the PI? So when you use the Sonos App to play/pause a player, is the state being updated? If you turn the PI's debug flag on, do you see errors or warnings in the log file? In most cases, this is a firewall on your HS PC, (if Windows), where the PI itself does not have proper allowance.

Comment

I have checked the player state and found a working solution. I have my speak announcement, after that the player goes to stopped but still shows what played before. Pressing play then (via device action play) starts playing what I was playing before. I unticked the wait for speech to finish as well.
      So all good now !

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
        I have checked the player state and found a working solution. I have my speak announcement, after that the player goes to stopped but still shows what played before. Pressing play then (via device action play) starts playing what I was playing before. I unticked the wait for speech to finish as well.
        So all good now !
        Glad to hear it is working BUT I think you are just working around a NON working system. It all sounds like your firewall is the issues and if you don't fix the root here, this system is going to not do what you want it to do, is all I'm saying . Allowing the HSPI_Sonos.exe to get through your HS PC (!!!!!) firewall is not a security issue, this is not WAN access, this is LAN access and is required for proper functioning.
        Attached Files

Comment

I will check that, thanks

It was in the exceptions, but good to check and make sure

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
            I will check that, thanks

It was in the exceptions, but good to check and make sure
            Just make sure it is marked properly for private and/or public in line with how the Ethernet port is labelled. If you see the screen grab above, you notice two entries. Check the details! Depending on the Firewall in use, the details will uniquely identify the executable. In my case, the two entries represents 2 different places (subdirectory) where the .exe is located and runs from. Seem to recall a FW that was version aware. As you will see, any resident program that has access to Ethernet ports are in your firewall allowed app list and the Sonos PI is no different, it should be in there as well. In case of doubt, I always tell people, turn the FW off to test and see if it takes away the issue. If it does, your FW is not configured correct!

Comment

Working...
            X