Using "recycled" devices and 100% offline use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using "recycled" devices and 100% offline use

I am looking to buy this plug in and an older or maybe "recycled" device. My big question is can the plugin use a sonos device that is on a vlan that connects to HS4 but has NO INTERNET access at all.

Also can a recycled device be used?

Is there a list of compatable devices?

Originally posted by rhcev3@gmail.com View Post
    I am looking to buy this plug in and an older or maybe "recycled" device. My big question is can the plugin use a sonos device that is on a vlan that connects to HS4 but has NO INTERNET access at all.

Also can a recycled device be used?

Is there a list of compatable devices?
    The PI is free, so you can test it yourself.
    The PI has no concept of whether a player is connected to the internet or not as long as the PI can communicate with the player. I do have he sneaky suspicion that Sonos is more and more moving into the direction of cloud enabled features, I would not be surprised that at some point, not having internet may restrict many functions.
    As of today, there are no players that wouldn't work with this PI.
    You may want to ask the question on recycled devices on a Sonos forum, this PI has no concept of a recycled device as long as the player behaves in a standard way.

Comment

I have 3 of the older amplifier models available. Just attach speakers. PM me if interested.
      tenholde

Comment

Originally posted by tenholde View Post
        I have 3 of the older amplifier models available. Just attach speakers. PM me if interested.
        The unit I got used that I am testing with is a ZP80. I did the reset procedure but it never does anything now but blink white and green at the same time. The app never sees it to even try and set it up so kind of stuck. If I could get the name of a spesific model that someone has that uses the PI on a 100% private network with no internet allowed I'd just go buy it today. I can't allow ANYTHING on my HS4 system outside as it controls EVERYTHING in my house (lights, door locks, backup power transfer switch, backup power UPS, backup generator, garage door, CO/smoke detectors, AC (replaced curcuit boards with relays just to keep safty circuit 100% and HS4 does the rest), Boiler and boiler water pump, main water shutoff, etc.

Comment

The unit I got used that I am testing with is a ZP80. I did the reset procedure but it never does anything now but blink white and green at the same time. The app never sees it to even try and set it up so kind of stuck. If I could get the name of a spesific model that someone has that uses the PI on a 100% private network with no internet allowed I'd just go buy it today. I can't allow ANYTHING on my HS4 system outside as it controls EVERYTHING in my house (lights, door locks, backup power transfer switch, backup power UPS, backup generator, garage door, CO/smoke detectors, AC (replaced curcuit boards with relays just to keep safty circuit 100% and HS4 does the rest), Boiler and boiler water pump, main water shutoff, etc.
          The blinking pattern is consistent with the player waiting to be associated with a controller, meaning a SONOS APP. As I wrote above, I'm somewhat suspect that you may not be able to get this running with zero access to the internet and I'm pretty sure this is not model dependant.

What you could do, is take your Sonos APP and your player to a network you feel comfortable connecting to internet and go through the step to associate your player with a household, using the Sonos APP. Once that is working, I believe you can now move this to your private network and see if the player is happy being separated forever from the mothership. Having that said, I'm unclear on Sonos' rules about players that were used to trade-in and whether you can assign them to other households, read up on that!! As far as I can tell, the S1 players I used to get a trade-in credit and that I had to factory reset to get it to work next to the S2 controller, can't say I ran into any restrictions, BUT they stayed on MY account!

If you do some searching on this forum, you'll find postings about people using different VLANs to enance the security of their homeautomation from your typically consumer products like Sons, TVs, Laptops, Amazon, Google devices .....

Comment

I did get the ZP80 up to where it get a local Lan IP but not sure what to do with it now.

I made the switch to HS4 now and what I'd want to use the sonos for is a speaker client as opposed (or in addition to) my chromecast for announcements, etc.

I saw there was a player option but nothing to play so not sure where to go from here.

Comment

Wait a minute... Are other people able to use recycle mode SONOS devices?! I have 3 ZP100s I purchased unwittingly already in recycle mode and I can't come to terms thowing away the hardware thinking somehow we MAY be able to use it again... Please tell me there is a way! thanks

Comment

I think mine was NOT in recycle mode. Thing is I'm trying to figure out how Sonos itself works. Do these things have a HDD that somehow playable files get loaded into?? Also can't figure out how/if I can use Sonos as a text to speech client like I can with Chromecast devices.

Comment

I think mine was NOT in recycle mode. Thing is I'm trying to figure out how Sonos itself works. Do these things have a HDD that somehow playable files get loaded into?? Also can't figure out how/if I can use Sonos as a text to speech client like I can with Chromecast devices.
                  Sonos devices are streaming devices, they don't hold songs, they stream content from network location, local or remote and yes the Sonos/Sonos4 plugin can do text to speech

Comment

Working...
                  X