how to VC-Alexa Sonos to play specific Artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to VC-Alexa Sonos to play specific Artist

<I accidentally posted this same Topic in a different forum group and didnt see a way to delete it>

I have my basic Sonos set up and working. I created an event that when turned on will play "The Beach Boys" from my Synology Music Server. I can make a bunch of Events for each Artist but that gets redundant.

I do know that I can set up a Virtual Device and link it to the Event and then in Alexa create a Routine there that will recognize a specific phrase to run each event.

I can activate the Event using Speaker Client or pressing a button on HS screen but I dont see either of those as a desired method. I would like to just speak to the Sonos or an Echo to do this. Is there an easier way than what I mention above?

Sidebar: I am still unsure what direction to go regarding Alexa. What are pros/cons of having just Sonos devices or both Alexa and Sonos.

Is there a way to create a VC that finds any Artist I name that will then play from My Synology Music server?

I have also seen the jon00 Homeseer/Echo helper but know nothing much about that at this time. -Is that the answer?

You can add your Sonos devices to your Alexa "list of devices to discover" and you can go straight from Alexa to Sonos to do what you are asking for, unless I misunderstand your question. You need to install the Sonos Skill on your Alexa account and allow them to be discovered and controlled.

Comment

That part I already figured out. I have the Sonos Skill on Alexa. Alexa however wont output to both Echo and Sonos, it only allows one or the other if you try and group speakers. I suppose if I had all Sonos then I can group them.

I guess I asked a bunch of Questions.

The main one being Is there a way to create a VC that finds any Artist I name that will then play from My Synology Music server?
      I have also seen the jon00 Homeseer/Echo helper but know nothing much about that at this time. -Is that the answer?

Different question:

How do I set up so that I speak just to a Sonos to play something from my Synology? Everything I ask alexa play from amazon music.

I have tried an alexa routine but it doesnt show how to play on Sonos either.

I have a virtual switch that if I turn on manually will launch an event that plays <Artist> on Sonos. That works fine. I just cant get either the sonos or alexa to recognize a voice command to do so.

Comment

I don't use Alexa a lot but I'm pretty sure I can tell it to play on my echo-show or on any sonos player. Not sure you can specify a group but quickly checking the last doc (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3514?language=en_US), it seems to suggest you can. Sure I also play other sources through Alexa, ex Alexa play Pandora Paul Simon on Kitchen,
        Can't think of any VC function as part of HS that you could use to play any specific artist/album/track but other more creative brains may want to weigh in.
        edit: not sure you can play local content using Alexa :-( still googling a bit

Comment

update, for some reason the new virtual device I made on HS <listen to <artist>> does not show up in alexa app??//

I looked up change alexa default music app, but synology/server is not one of the choices.

Comment

Originally posted by rumb View Post
            update, for some reason the new virtual device I made on HS <listen to <artist>> does not show up in alexa app??//
            Did you issue a rediscovery of devices?

Originally posted by rumb View Post
            I looked up change alexa default music app, but synology/server is not one of the choices.
            I was afraid it might not show, but it would be under "music library" and I would think it wouldn't be a default setting on your Alexa APP but part of your utterance

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

Did you issue a rediscovery of devices?
              several times on alexa app. I also deleted it and made a new one, alexa doesnt seem to discover it. It has found others previously.

Comment

Solution found - disable and re-enable the Homeseer skill in Alexa, rediscover devices and then the new VD will show up. Also make sure that the VD Control has Voice Enable checked, not just the main name one.

So now I can say "echo listen to Grand Funk Railroad" and it then plays from my Synology to the Sonos.

Comment

Working...
                X