Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play sound in groups results in fragments on other speakers then the sourceplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play sound in groups results in fragments on other speakers then the sourceplayer

Hi all,

i have been a owner of Sonos since yesterday, have been experimenting at my parents with it.
    So i have bought 7 sonos speakers from Ikea ( which some of them i am going to take apart, lower the signal output and connect to my surround receivers)

But that aside, its actually working pretty good, then i thought why not play a doorbell sound when the button is being pressed.

I have made a group, and have set the source player at "woonkamer" ( livingroom).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	linking.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1456563

As for the event, i have set it on a zigbee switch for testing , and its on the "help my girlfriend" file instead of the doorbell.wav like on the video.
    But you get the picture. ( help my girlfriend haha, well she just had surgery so i need to help her lift things etc)

Name:	eventhelp.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1456564

What happens is the following:
    When a event is triggered, it also takes a little while before it sends the file to the speakers but this does not matter to much.

The speaker on the couch is called Woonkamer, which is set as sourceplayer. this speaker plays the full file,

the other speakers play parts of the file , and stop.

you can see/listen to this on the first video, so i thougt play mp3 instead of .wav but this didn't matter.

Then when i try to use the TTS voice from windows, it looks/sounds better and seem to work on all speakers.

Any idea's how to solve this ?

Thanks in advance

Have to admit, a bit hard to understand listening/looking at the video, but here are a couple of pointers:

1/ it takes time to group all the players, save their previous settings, play the announcement and restore everything. The more players involved in the announcement, the longer this will take. That explains why it takes a bit before it plays. Moreover, keep in mind that when you click multiple times, you may launch multiple events that are either queued or (shouldn't) mess with your announcements.

2/ there shouldn't be a difference between .wav and .mp3 BUT they have different sizes AND packet loss on tighter compressed content results in bigger audio impact. So mp3 should be better for network congestion but any packet loss (could) causes bigger audio impacts.

3/ the source player is the player who needs to work the hardest in this arrangement. As such try to pick a player that is new(est) and/or one that is wired over wireless. If all your players types are the same, you can't pick a "newer" player, but if you are like me who still has ZP90 and ZP120 players, I'm sure are less performant compared to the latests Sonos ONEs.

So my first focus would be on packet loss or network bottlenecks. Are all these speakers wired or wireless? If wireless, do you use a Sonos Boost or are they connected to your home wifi? Another thing to play with is to select another sourceplayer.

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply,

The speakers are all wireless connected , this is because i do not have wired connection points where i placed them
      But my wifi network coverage should be more then sufficient with ubiquiti long range APs all in and around the house.

Name:	wifi.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1456927

I am not sure if it s a network problem , well for coverage it almost can't be, what also cought my attention is when playing a mp3 file or wav it does not play trough all the selected speakers.
      It does since if the radio is on one of them, i hear the event mute the radio and sometimes partially play a bit of the audio file.

My dad brought a new sonos one , i believe 3th generation, it has voice control, so i have changed the sourceplayer to this model to do the hard work for the 2nd generation speakers in my house.
      It did improove a little bit since 2 speakers are playing the audio file completly ( sonos one speaker from my dad, and the speaker on the couch)
      In the kitchen its 70/30 that it does play the file.

When i use a event which is not playing an audio file but just a spoken text, all the speakers work everytime i test. ( except from the delay that you explained)

I tried to make a new video and you can hear the audio partially play on some speakers :

Skip the video to :
      0:23 here you see the kitchen speaker not playing the audio file at all
      1:38 speaker on the couch played a piece of the audio file and stops.
      2:34 i see a red warning error in the log
      3:55 ( about 1 min later when the event has been activated) it says the fully spoken text, ( let op alex komt eraan)
      4:43 i start the spoken event and it runs complete in my hobby room
      5:30 there was another event triggered because someone opened the mailbox ( it did not fully played, its a audio file that was been cut off again)
      6:03 played the spoken text again in the bedroom that works
      6:24 tried the doorbell sound again to play in the bedroom,works partially.

i don't know if the server can be a problem but the hardware is :

Name:	info.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1456928

The error it displayed on 2:34 said this :
      Feb-17 5:52:25 PM Sonos MyTcpListener.DoAccept received Error = Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
      and a bit earlier i found this in the log:
      Feb-17 5:28:56 PM Sonos Error ERROR in PlayURI for zoneplayer = Kantoor with UPNP Error = Read only tag / Transport is locked / Access denied. URI=x-sonosapi-stream:station%3aradio-538?sid=300&flags=8224&sn=3 and isObjectID = False, MetaData=Radio 538 - HDobject.item.audioItem.audioBroadcastSA_RINCON76807_, Error =MyUPnPService.InvokeAction for ServiceID = http://10.0.0.32:1400/xml/AVTransport1.xml while sending Action = SetAVTransportURI for URI = http://10.0.0.32:1400/MediaRenderer/AVTransport/Control and Request = 0x-sonosapi-stream:station%3aradio-538?sid=300&flags=8224&sn=3<DIDL-Lite xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:upnp="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/upnp/" xmlns:r="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/" xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:metadata-1-0/DIDL-Lite/"><item id="-1" parentID="-1" restricted="true"><dc:title>Radio 538 - HD</dc:title><upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.audioBroadcast</upnp:class><desc id="cdudn" nameSpace="urn:schemas-rinconnetworks-com:metadata-1-0/">SA_RINCON76807_</desc></item></DIDL-Lite> UPNP Error = faultcode = s:Client, faultstring = UPnPError, detail = 402 with error = The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
      not sure what caused this.

So in short, it seems like i have some sort of problem when playing audio files in my sonos system ?
      Nothing else except double chechking my network or ?

Thanks for your time/help/tips

Comment

Before I look at the video, a couple of reactions:

1/ what OS are you running on your HS PC? Windows or Linux
        2/ How is the HSPC connected to your network? Wired/Wireless?
        3/ Just to confirm, but you don't have a Sonos Boost, correct? (this is actually important for multicast ... or so I've been told)
        4/ The (network) issue could be around the HS PC, have you tried restarting HS? If you did, any errors in the log?

We may have to turn debug on to try to figure out what's going on. There is a network view that you can pull out of your system by enterring this URL in a browser:

http://10.0.0.6:1400/support/review

Comment

Working...
        X