Question about when the State updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about when the State updates

If I start playing from the Sonos app, should the state in homeseer update? It doesnt seem to change from stopped when I start the music playing from the app or alexa.

I have a sonos amp connected to our patio speakers and our neighbor gets grumpy is we forget to turn them off. I'd like to find a way to have HS turn off the music after a certain time.

Setting aside some database corruption (any errors when you start the PI? Done any manual deleting of Sonos devices?), typically this means that the autonomous events are not received, in almost all cases caused by your firewall. If this is a Windows install, make sure the Sonos PI (HSPI_SONOS.exe) must have incoming and outgoing allowance in your firewall.

Comment

Maybe this on? When Pause -> Playing player is started but state is updated 12 sec later - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

The statement is that it is NOT updating, not late but if it is late, your link would be relevant. As to the late update, I actually very recently ran into a case myself, it wasn't 12 seconds but it was 5 seconds. In my case it was a Spotify track and it took ~5 seconds to retrieve the album art.

So there appear 2 issues that may cause a delayed change of state:
        1/ (this is the case typcially for play, not pause) when you start to play content that is being streamed from the internet, especially real-time radio stations that can come from anywhere in the world, Sonos will buffer this radio station, based on the latency of the incoming stream. I've seen this taking easily 5~10 seconds. Nothing the PI can do about that. Sonos does indicate it is buffering by signalling a "transitioning state" but that adds complexity to all your events as you now have: stopped, transistioning, play, pause states.
        2/ the PI updates the homeseer device, after it has processed all changes, including retrieving the albumart. As stated above, this can add a significant delay. I'm trying to decouple the update of state update verus control device update or album art device update, so the state change will not depend on retrieving album art.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

The statement is that it is NOT updating, not late but if it is late, your link would be relevant. As to the late update, I actually very recently ran into a case myself, it wasn't 12 seconds but it was 5 seconds. In my case it was a Spotify track and it took ~5 seconds to retrieve the album art.

So there appear 2 issues that may cause a delayed change of state:
          1/ (this is the case typcially for play, not pause) when you start to play content that is being streamed from the internet, especially real-time radio stations that can come from anywhere in the world, Sonos will buffer this radio station, based on the latency of the incoming stream. I've seen this taking easily 5~10 seconds. Nothing the PI can do about that. Sonos does indicate it is buffering by signalling a "transitioning state" but that adds complexity to all your events as you now have: stopped, transistioning, play, pause states.
          2/ the PI updates the homeseer device, after it has processed all changes, including retrieving the albumart. As stated above, this can add a significant delay. I'm trying to decouple the update of state update verus control device update or album art device update, so the state change will not depend on retrieving album art.
          jmhitchcock Is it delayed or never updated?

Comment

Working...
          X