How are you guys using this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you guys using this?

I am starting to look at this plugin as I have had a Sonos system for several years and love it. M<y issue with the plugin is this, what do I use it for? I currently run my HStouch clients on iTouch or iPads, both of which have a native Sonos app, so I am just curious what you guys actually use this plugin to do?

I am certainly not trying to take anything away from Dirks work, it is very impressive and I may end up setting up some HSTouch screens to control my Sonos anyway, I am mainly looking for other things you guys are doing with the plugin beyond just simple control of starting and stopping music. Are you guys incorporating it into events, times of day things like that.

Thanks in advance!

(1) I have a touch panel in my kitchen that runs custom code, and I built a simple page that allows me to control Sonos via calls to the plugin interface

(2) I have buttons on my universal remotes that are captured by HomeSeer and trigger events/script that control Sonos via calls to plugin

(3) I have PBX interfaced to Homeseer and when the phone rings, I pause and mute all sonos players (I also pause all DirecTV DVRs)

(4) I have a button by doors to outside that allow me to 'turn the house off'. One of the things it does is stops all of the Sonos zones

(5) I use Snevl Weather Alerts to catch weather alerts for my area. I play these alerts (and other HomeSeer announcements) through all Sonos zones. The plugin can be set up to automatically pause all zones, play the homeseer announcement, and then place each zone back to the original state

(6) I have an X10 handheld RF remote that I use in the bedroom that allows me to control the bedroom zone. Could do same in each room. Much cheaper than a Sonos remote in each room (or ipod).

All of these things are done via scripting calls to the Sonos plugin.

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

Oh wow, I did not realize this plugin was that powerful. That sounds really cool!

Comment

+1 on the phone interface except I only mute the player of the room where the phone is off hook.

Comment

Hey TenHolde,

What type of touch screen do you have in your kitchen ?
          What kind of Sonos Equipment do you have ?
          Could you post a couple of pictures ?
          How did you do regarding the cabling ?

Right now, I put my HomeSeer in the basement, and I lost signal big time.
          I need to put it back somewhere in the 1st floor I think..

Comment

Originally posted by simon templar View Post
            Hey TenHolde,

What type of touch screen do you have in your kitchen ?
            What kind of Sonos Equipment do you have ?
            Could you post a couple of pictures ?
            How did you do regarding the cabling ?

Right now, I put my HomeSeer in the basement, and I lost signal big time.
            I need to put it back somewhere in the 1st floor I think..
            I use a Motion Computing LE1600, about 4 years old windows/xp device. It is connected to network via cat5. The HA interface is all custom .net code. I am relying more and more on just displaying web pages within a .net browser control for functionality so that it will be easier to migrate to a browser environement for newer tablets and smart phones, etc.

Sonos: four S5s (Kitchen, Office, Bedroom, Sewing Room)
            one ZP120 (Great Room, driving two Bose speakers)
            one ZP90 (Input from HomeSeer computer in basement, connection to LAN, output to powered PC speakers that were originally attached to Homeseer computer)
            controllers: One Ipod and two Android phones

Sonos cabling: ZP90 in basement is connected to home router, and LineIn is connected from the sound card in my homeseer computer (I also attach the speakers for the homeseer computer as the output from the ZP90). All other sonos players talk to each other wirelessly. They all access the internet and my music library on the LAN (a Windows Home Server) wirelessly via the ZP90 connection to my home router.

When you say you lost signal with your homeseer computer in the basement, what signal are you talking about?

I will post pics of touchscreen later this evening at: http://www.tenholder.net/temp/touchscreen.html

tenholde
            tenholde

Comment

Images are now available at http://www.tenholder.net/temp/touchscreen.html

tenholde
              tenholde

Comment

Working...
              X